Status: 5/4: And I'm back.

The Code

non sunt longævi sapientes iratus

“We’re leaving, Cassieface.” Jeremy nudged my still form.

I was still lying down on my bed, fully awake but unmoving.

Today I was going back to Beacon Hills.

I wasn’t sure how I felt about it. I had spent weeks preparing myself for it, working my ass off to prove to Gerard I was ready, but suddenly, I wasn’t so sure I was.

Jeremy pushed me again.

“Don’t call me that.” I muttered, sitting up straight.

Jeremy was staring at me in the dark, making him with his dark skin almost invisible to my adjusting eyes. I blinked a few times and he was as clear to me as he would have been in full light.

The twenty-three year old smiled annoyingly bright at me so early in the morning. I had barely slept at all last night. “Did someone sleep in and disobey a direct order from Gerard?”

I rolled my eyes, “I’m fully dressed and ready, you moron. I was waiting for you.”

Jeremy touched the place his heart was under his shirt, sighing emphatically, “Oh, you shouldn’t have.”

I grumbled, pushing myself off the bed as Jeremy laughed, loving to push my buttons.

“Let’s go,” I told him shortly. Jeremy kept smirking as he followed me out the door. We hurried through the cabin and made it to Gerard’s black SUV. It was running, quietly vibrating as it waited for us to enter it. “Shot gun.” I cut Jeremy off before sliding into the passenger seat. Jeremy grumbled as he forced himself into the back.

Gerard stared pensively at us, one hand on the steering wheel, the other on the shift. “Away we go.”

Something in me felt slightly nauseas as Gerard reversed down the long, dirt driveway. Jeremy’s long, muscular body laid strewn out along the back seat, preparing for a nap on the long drive.

I curled my legs up and stared out the window, watching the trees fly by. Slowly, the sun began to rise as we made our way back to Beacon Hills.

I spent the entire time trying to mentally prepare myself for what was waiting for me after four long weeks.

* * *


We arrived in Beacon Hills late at night. Darkness had long since fallen and after the lack of sleep I had gotten the night before, I still felt wired.

We drove by familiar places: the high school, the hospital, my old house. My throat constricted as we passed it. Gerard had done it intentionally. The detour was unnecessary and uncalled for. He was simply reminded me why I was back here, parentless and full of unrepentant anger.

I swallowed hard, feeling Gerard’s forceful eyes on me, waiting for my reaction but I gave him nothing but a short nod. I knew why I was back and what Gerard expected me to do. I was under no false conceptions and didn’t need reminding. I was here to kill for Gerard and The Code. It was as simple as that.

When we pulled into the only remaining Argent family’s driveway, I released my knees. Blood flowed back into them, prickling me sharply from falling asleep hours ago.

I honestly hadn’t thought about Allison much in four weeks. But, now that she was twenty feet away from me, I felt angry at her. I was angry at everyone now, but Allison seemed to be high on my hate-list. She had fallen for a werewolf, like me (which I would never forgive myself for and blocked from my memory) and everything had worked out story book perfect for her. Her parents were alive and kicking whilst mine were six feet under. I hadn’t even been able to attend my father’s funeral as well as Kate’s.

So, for that, I not only felt anger towards Allison, I abhorred her.

I unlocked my belt slowly as Jeremy and Gerard hopped out of the car. I pushed myself out of the vehicle, jumping down a little because the height of the seat was higher than my petite height could step.

When I shut the door, Jeremy was by my side in an instant. Despite his many personal flaws, he was a great and dependable partner. He was always there for me in training and soon we would find out how solid he was in the field.

We followed Gerard wordlessly up the stone pathway until we reached the red door. Gerard knocked once to announce his presence and then pushed open the door. We all filed in silently.

The house was dark except for the lamp in the living room. Chris and Victoria were seated on the cream colored couch in similar tense positions. Victoria had her hands firmly placed in lap while Chris had his clenching his jean-clad knees. Their faces were unreadable as we stepped into the spacious room, nobody speaking a word.

I met Chris’ gaze and I had one of those fleeting moments when I thought he was my father. But, those realizations had to stop. There was no confusing the two anymore. My father was dead. Chris wasn’t.

He looked tired and his eyes were sad. I knew he had lost his brother and sister. I secretly wished he had been the one the Alpha killed. If only Peter had mistaken Chris for him, I would still have one parent. But, Chris was one of the only people I didn’t feel angry at or blame for everything. He was the only one who could sympathize with what I had been through and his eyes plainly told me so.

“It’s nice to see you again, Cassie, Jeremy,” Victoria said in a stiff voice. Her hard eyes were scanning me, trying to calculate how much Gerard had changed me since that night. She seemed satisfied with the new me as she smiled grimly.

“Victoria,” Jeremy nodded respectfully, “Chris,”

Chris nodded to him and stood up. “We should get going. I just got a call from Ryan. It’s been sighted again.”

“What has?” I questioned immediately, wanting to go out and take something down instead of rest up for school tomorrow.

“The Kanima.” Gerard answered, excitement sparkling in his dead eyes.

“The Kanima?” Jeremy furrowed his dark brows.

“The newest threat to Beacon Hills.” Chris explained, “Besides Derek.”

I twitched unintentionally at the mention of his name. I was surprised that no one had killed him yet. Everyone would be better off without the son of a bitch. There would be a lot more Argents in town if they had took him out as soon as they got to town.

Maybe they were waiting for me to do the honors. Nothing would bring me greater joy now that Peter was already down for the count.

“The new Alpha.” Gerard shook his head in contempt.

“Derek’s the Alpha?” I asked in mild disgust and heavy shock. They all turned to me. My aunt and uncle seemed taken aback by my sudden anger.

Chris and Victoria were going to have to get used to it quickly because it wasn’t going away any time soon.

“How could you let that happen?” I demanded furiously, “He killed my parents! He killed your sister, Chris! Why are you standing by, twiddling your thumbs when you could be taking out the bastard?” I spat, my body rumbling with anger.

Chris looked extremely unsettled by my outburst. He glanced over at Gerard, his mouth open wide, dumbfounded.

“That’s my firecracker.” Gerard slapped my back hardily, “She has a good point, Chris. And he’s the next target after the Kanima.”

It wasn’t a suggestion. It was a command. No one questioned Gerard’s plans. First this Kanima, then I would have my revenge. As long as Derek paid for what he did, I would stand by quietly.

“Then let’s go.” Chris pursed his lips, grabbing his gun in its holster. Gerard nodded and turned to Jeremy and me.

“This is simply educational for you two tonight.” Gerard told us, “You’re the back up’s back up. You study the Kanima and get a feel for it. Don’t fight unless every single one of us is dead, you understand?”

“Yes, sir,” Jeremy and I said in unison, bowing our head.

“They’re coming?” Chris asked, obviously not wanting me to come along. “This thing is dangerous, Gerard. We don’t know anything about it and Cassie has school in the morning—”

“I can take care of myself.” I said abruptly. I wasn’t going to stand by as he made endless excuses for me not to come along. I was coming, that was final.

Chris looked at Gerard for back up but received nothing but a simple shrug and raised brow.

“Fine,” Chris said coolly, thrusting open the door and walking out into the chilly night.
♠ ♠ ♠
Another filler. The next one will be better. I need to rewatch some of the TW episodes. The Kanima will be in the next one.
I finally got to watch last week's TW. It looks like Allison is going badass hunter on everyone. Plot thieves...
Just kidding. But, seriously, it's eerie. I've had this plot in my head for weeks now and it's happening in the show. I think I'm psychic. Just sayin'.
96 subscribers with only the first chapter? YOU GUYS ROCK. (:
It's a little slow now, but I'm warming up to it. I haven't been writing for a week but I'm excited about this. I hope you are, too!