Status: 5/4: And I'm back.

The Code

is est totus a venatus

I suppose I had hoped I could talk my way out of going back to school.

From the start it had been the plan. Once I was ready to return to Beacon Hills, my education would resume. Gerard wanted me to graduate and Chris wanted a semi-normal life for me.

No one cared what I wanted. As I tried to explain my way out of the importance of education (with an increasingly unstable argument), Chris was only becoming more headstrong about the whole thing. Even Jeremy agreed with them.

“We need someone on the ground. Derek’s compiling an army and who better to scope out the area without bringing unwanted attention as someone who attends the school?” Gerard finally spoke up in the heated debate, silencing everyone. I pursed my lips, forcing to resign.

“Yes, sir,”

“Now go get in the car, you and Jeremy will patrol beforehand.” Gerard ordered, stopping Jeremy in his tracks, “I need to speak with you before you leave.”

My useless partner told me to wait in the car; I stormed from the house with an angry huff, having half a mind to slam the door behind me. But, I wasn’t going to act like a child who didn’t get their way; I was a hunter. If I did that, it would only give them more reason to send me back to school.

I sat in the SUV for five minutes, fuming away. Jeremy entered the vehicle in silence.

“Thanks for having my back.” I growled. He started up the car.

“I am having your back. School is important. You need to see your friends again.”

I didn’t respond as we took off down the driveway.

* * *


The sun had just begun to raise, the reds and yellows painted the sky brilliantly. I wanted to freeze this moment forever: patrolling the woods early in the morning with nobody but Jeremy by my side. Nobody from my past was involved yet. No one knew I was here except Chris and Victoria. I could leave now and everything would stay the same. No one was looking for me. I could hunt werewolves around the globe with Jeremy and never have to deal with the unruly drama that came with the teens in Beacon Hills.

I didn’t want to go to school. I didn’t need school anymore. I had a job; I’d graduated into the real world.

So, why was I still being forced to go?

“You need some normalcy in your life.” Jeremy kept trying to reason as we trudged through the cool woods. Jeremy was twenty-three and had graduated Beacon Hills a long time ago—or so it seemed.

“Normalcy?” I snorted, “I hunt werewolves and Kanimas for a living. Normalcy isn’t in my vocabulary.”

Jeremy shook his head, smiling despite himself. “Yeah, yeah.”

He shifted his rifle as our combat boots crunched along the dirt path. I leaned my body against one of the tall trees, staring up at the colorful sky. Jeremy peered at his watch and announced, “It’s seven. We need to get you to normalcy.”

I rolled my eyes in disgust. “I prefer to dub it hell.”

“Original.” Jeremy mocked as we started making our way back to the SUV. “I think hell will be good for you. Maybe it will help you come up with wittier nicknames for school.”

“Fuck you,” I breathed, grinning lightly as I hopped into passenger seat of the car. Jeremy quickly pulled out of the reserve. I kicked my feet up onto the grey dashboard and glanced into the backseat. My old purple backpack sat there, waiting for me to grab it and go back to school like the last few weeks had never happened.

But, of course they had. And that kind of thing was impossible to forget.

* * *


Jeremy pulled up in front of the school and I felt paralyzed. Or maybe I just didn’t want to move. It was hard to tell as I glared up at the familiar brick building.

“You going to mope in here like a baby or get off your ass and detect those werewolves in there?”

I furrowed my brows in confusion, “I’m not moping and what are you talking about?”

“Apparently there are three new wolves in town. Derek created them. And Gerard thinks the Kanima goes to school here.”

“The Kanima just slithers around the halls and no one notices?” I asked smartly.

“Yes, exactly. No one suspects a thing. That’s why it’s so hard to find him.” Jeremy rolled his dark eyes. “I figured since you’re being forced to go back to hell, we could play a little exercise game.”

I perked up, sitting straight in my seat, “I’m listening.”

“Find the new wolves. Use your resources; use your old friends, your cousin, your teachers. Find the invisible kids who became miraculously visible in a few short weeks.” Jeremy grinned, seeing my eyes brighten with this challenge. “And bonus points if you find the Kanima.”

I snatched my backpack and pushed open the door, “Since he’s walking around in his Kanima skin he shouldn’t be too hard to find.” I mocked. “You’re on.”

“Gerard’s picking you up after lunch. We’ve got a meeting.” Jeremy filled me in.

“This day just keeps getting better and better.” I grinned. Not only did I have a mission of finding my new prey, but I got to get out of school early. “See you in a few hours with your new intel.”

I slammed the door behind me as Jeremy waved goodbye. He drove off as I made my way up the steps. It took me a few moments to realize how subdued it was now. Kids were staring pointedly at me, whispering secrets behind hands. I wondered what the rumors about me were. What had Scott and the others been telling kids to explain my disappearance?

I pushed on, ignoring them to the best of my ability. I was on my first mission; nothing was going to distract me, certainly not some gossiping high-schoolers oblivious to the world around them.

I kept my head up as I strutted up the cement stairs, through the metal doors, and into the school building without so much as a half-glance in their direction.

I would be lying if I said I didn’t enjoy their stares. They were witnessing the new-and-improved me. Their stares only empowered me more. It was thrilling.

But, I had to get to class. I had to bring my head back to reality and focus on the task at hand. I had to find the wolves. And possibly the Kanima.

But, mostly the new wolves.

* * *


It felt eerily silent as I made my first appearance to first period in weeks. The teacher had to do a double take when he saw me. I had probably been taken off the role list. Gerard said he was going to take care of it under his new role of school principal. I wasn’t sure how he got the job or what happened to Mr. Thomas.

“Cassidy Argent,” Mr. Harris had an obvious tone of surprise, “Welcome back.”

I nodded and slipped wordlessly into my vacant chair. It wasn’t hard to tell that two certain best friends were absent as well. I wondered where Scott had gone off to last night. Wherever he was, I was sure his trusted companion wasn’t far behind.

It turned out I wasn’t the only one with a plan to come fashionably late. Some blonde bombshell strutted in with a black bustier that barely covered her chest and curls that spilled down her back. She grinned seductively at Mr. Harris with her blood red lips and pouty chocolate-colored eyes.

I could have laughed at how hard she was trying to be cool until Mr. Harris introduced her: “Erica, thanks for joining us. Maybe tomorrow will be the day you make it to class on time and start being a productive member of society again.”

Erica.

She’d looked semi-familiar but with a name to her newly made-over appearance I could remember her clearly. She’d split an experiment over Stiles on my first day of Beacon Hills months ago before erupting into a seizure fit.

Either her medication had kicked in or someone had given her a head start in life in the form of a bite.

I sighed heavily, leaning my cheek against my propped hand. Disappointment filled me slightly. I had hoped this was be somewhat challenging but Derek’s creations seemed to be throwing themselves in my face.

At least I would be able to brag about my superior detective skills to Jeremy once Gerard picked me up.

Maybe the Kanima was going to plop himself in my lap sometime before lunch.

“Has anyone seen Jackson Whittemore?” Mr. Harris questioned.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well, hey there...

So this happened. I actually updated something. Not just something, a Teen Wolf story. I would like to apologize for a contraction of "One Direction Infection". I've recently been cured and more focused on original fiction that I've yet to post. But, with Teen Wolf coming back, inspiration has once again struck.

Who's excited for Teen Wolf, though? I can't fucking wait. TWENTY-FOUR NEW EPISODES. I think I've died and gone to wherever agnostics go after death (maybe turn into a tree or dog, I don't know).

So, this is the start of something new. Yay?

I shall leave you with wise words from our favorite lacrosse coach: "McCall, you come out of that goal one more time and you'll be doing suicide runs until you die. It'll be the first ever suicide run that actually ends in a suicide."

I've been rewatching old TW episodes. Sorry not sorry.