I'm in the Feudal Era!

I’m in the FEUDAL ERA! Ch. 10

I’m in the FEUDAL ERA!
Chapter 10

We spent three more days at the village. The only thing that we were doing was relaxing. Miroku was flirting with the village girls; Sango was hitting Miroku because of this. I started to suspect that they secretly, or not so secretly, liked each other. Kirara and Shippo were off somewhere sleeping and Kagome and Inuyasha spent most of their time arguing. I was mostly off on my own practicing with my sword. I wanted to be as good as I could so that I wouldn’t disappoint the others.

I had just finished practicing for the day and started to head back to the village. I was being extra careful going down the slope of the hill heading out of the forest. I really didn’t want to fall and sprain an ankle or something and ruin my chances of going with the others. I got past the slope safely and headed for the Kaede’s hut. When I got to the door of the hut I could smell the food being prepared. I inhaled happily and said, “Yum, food.” I licked my lips and went inside. The whole gang was gathered around the food.

“Amaya! About time you came. We were just about to start without you.” Shippo hollered.

“You didn’t have to wait for me.” I said sort of annoyed. I sat down and we all dug in to our food. It was a good meal and filled my stomach. I was sort of nervous after dinner. This would be my first time going out of the village with the others. That is if you disregarded the first failed attempt. I was so restless that night that I barely got any sleep.

I got up at dawn the next morning. Everyone else was still asleep so I got up and went outside to get some fresh air. The sky looked beautiful with the mix of darkness of the night and the light of the morning. As I stood beside the tree outside of the hut I heard a rustling from above. I looked up to find Inuyasha sitting on one of the branches looking down at me. “What are you doing up so early?”

“I couldn’t sleep.” He said looking away from me.

“Aww. Did the puppy have I nightmare?” I said teasingly.

“Who are you calling a puppy, you ditz!” Inuyasha yelled back.

“Oh! I’m so terrified of the pup…..

“Seriously Amaya, do you want to come with us today?” he asked suddenly. I looked up to find him looking at me seriously.

“Of course! Why wouldn’t I want to?!” I exclaimed.

“It’s going to be very dangerous out there. It is not like where you are from at all. Plus you will be risking your life for a bunch of strangers.” Inuyasha concluded.

“I have already made my decision. I can think of no better way to repay you guys then to help you with your journey. I don’t mind risking my life for you guys because I don’t think of you as strangers, but as friends.” I said smiling up at him.

“You may think that way, but what about us? We know absolutely nothing about you. How can we trust you?”

I didn’t know how to respond when Kagome came up to us and said that it was time to leave. Inuyasha didn’t say another word and walked away.

“What was that about?” Kagome asked. I told her it was nothing and left as well.

Just as we were about to leave Kaede and a good amount of villagers stopped what they were doing to see us off. It was heart warming to witness, but I knew it wasn’t really for me. Inuyasha’s words continued to plague me for the next few days. ‘I had been a fool to believe that these people would accept me without knowing anything about me. Of course they wouldn’t trust me. I had never revealed anything about myself to them.’

“Those thoughts swirled around in my head for days. My mood must have been affected because everyone was giving me worried looks. Every day was filled with excitement. We would mostly run into weak demons trying to get Kagome’s jewel shards. Inuyasha, who always seemed to be in a bad mood, would always kill them off before any of us could be surprised. After these encounters and walking the whole day we would happen upon a village and Miroku would find the best place and say that it needed exorcised from demons and that he would do it for them if we were allowed to stay the night. Of course the rest of us knew that Miroku was just lying about the exorcism. Kagome had warned me before we set out that he was a pretty shady person.

One such night, after Miroku preformed his “exorcism”, we were all about to fall asleep when suddenly huge demons crashed through the rooms' door. The demons appeared to be half bear and half spider. Spider legs were coming out of the back of the bear and instead of having just two eyes it had many. It was a good thing we all slept with our weapons right beside us because the demons didn’t hesitate to attack at all. They came charging at us, some running on their bear legs, while others were climbing the walls. Inuyasha was the first to attack. With his blade swinging and him voicing a mighty yell he charged right back at them. Unfortunately the demon just brushed him aside. It was when Inuyasha crashed through the wall and into the neighboring room that I saw that the other people in the inn were being attacked as well. Inuyasha had just climbed back through the whole in the wall and started attacking the demons again that Miroku said, “Inuyasha we will leave these demons to you while the rest of us help the other people in the inn.”

“Alright.” Inuyasha said with a nod. He then gave one big swing with his sword and killed many of the demons, giving us enough time to escape the room. We all got out into the hallway and looked around. I didn’t see any demons so we were safe for the moment, but I could also hear the screams from the other people.

Kagome stayed to help Inuyasha so the rest of us raced down the hall towards the other hoard of demons. At the end of the hall we came to an open courtyard where the demons had the inn’s residents surrounded. Shippo threw one of his fox toys at the head of one demon to get their attention. They turned around and snarled at us. There was about five of them so it was evenly matched. While they were distracted the others started to sneak away but one fell making a demon turn towards them and started to pounce.

Sango acted quickly and threw her boomerang and beheaded the demon. That left four demons to deal with. Sango, Miroku, and I each got one while Shippo and Kirara got the fourth one. The demons were not giving us any more openings. They were coming at us full force. I couldn’t get any attacks in what so ever. I was thinking I was weak when I noticed Sango and Miroku having the same problem. Because I looked away the bear/spider demon brought his paw down on my side knocking the wind out of me. Luckily I didn’t fall giving me enough time to bring my sword up and slash at the unbalanced demon.

The demon I was fighting fell down dead while the other three were being backed into a corner and then swallowed by Miroku’s Wind Tunnel. We all took a moment to regain our breath and then went inside the inn to find Inuyasha and Kagome.

We didn’t get far down the hallway when someone plowed into us from one of the side rooms. It turned out to be Inuyasha and Kagome. “Did you finish off the rest?” Miroku asked.
“Of course I did.” Replied Inuyasha. He then turned to me. “I see you’re still alive. I thought for sure one of them would finish you off.” He sneered.

“Inuyasha, Sit Boy!” Kagome commanded followed by Inuyasha doing a face plant into the floor. “I can’t believe you said that!”

“That’s alright Kagome. He was just teasing.” I said with a slight smile on my face.

“Well,” Miroku said breaking the awkward silence, “We weren’t expecting that to happen. I think we should patrol around the grounds tonight in shifts to make sure we aren’t surprised again.”

“That’s a good idea.” Sango agreed. “Who will take the first watch?”

“I will.” Inuyasha volunteered after brushing himself off. “It’s better then hanging around here.” He said as he stalked off. The rest of us went back into the inn to try and get some sleep.

As the night went on I couldn’t get to sleep. Inuyasha was mad at me again and I didn’t know why. The only reason I could see was that I was more of a burden than I had originally thought. If that was the case I had to apologize to Kagome at least.

“Hey Kagome, are you up?” I whispered.

“Yeah. I’m up. Is something wrong?” Kagome asked.

“I just wanted to apologize. I figured that Inuyasha was mad at me because I’ve become a burden on you and the rest of the group.” I explained.

“How have you been a burden?” asked Kagome.

“I believe I must no be that good of a fighter. He must feel that I have to be protected all the time. I mean Inuyasha is a half demon, Sango is a demon slayer, Miroku has his Wind Tunnel, and you have your spiritual arrows. All I have is me.” I blurted out. I hadn’t meant to really say all of that. ‘Great now she’ll think I’m a whiner too.’ I thought.

“That’s non-sense.” Sango said startling both Kagome and me. We hadn’t known she was up and listening to our conversation. “I believe you did very well today. Especially since you have had no formal training.”

‘What should I do?’ I asked myself. ‘This is the perfect opportunity to open up to them!’ That’s when I made my decision, I don’t know how long I will be here for, but I want to be true friends with these people. And to do that I need to tell them about my past, the same way they trusted me with theirs.

“Actually I did go to a dojo to receive some training.” I said and silently crossed my fingers.

“I didn’t know that!” exclaimed Kagome sounding slightly impressed.

“Nor did I.” agreed Sango.

“Of course it’s nothing like a real fight.” I explained. “Everything is watched by the instructor so that no one gets hurt. But I did learn a lot from there.” I finished

“Like I said before you did well today. I don’t know what Inuyasha’s problem is but I’m sure that it doesn’t have to deal with your abilities.” Sango replied.

“Yes I agree. Inuyasha will tell us what the problem is eventually.” Kagome said. With that the conversation ended and Kagome and Sango fell asleep.

While lying there I was glad that I opened up a little. It wasn’t my whole life story but it was a start. ‘Certainly there will be more time to talk later. And then we can be true friends.’ I thought with a smile on my face as sleep slowly took over me aswell.