I'm in the Feudal Era!

I’m in the FEUDAL ERA! Ch. 11

I’m in the FEUDAL ERA!

Chapter 11

The next day we set off once again. I had gotten a very good night of sleep so I was feeling refreshed. Before we left Miroku had spoken to the inn keeper and apologized for the destruction of the inn. Thankfully the inn keeper was just happy that no one got hurt.

For the first time in days the mood within the group was good. Even Inuyasha seemed to be in a pleasant mood.

“So Kagome where are we going now?” asked Shippo.

“Well to the North I sense a jewel shard. It’s been there for several days now. I think that’s the direction to go.” Kagome explained. “What do you think Inuyasha?”

“That might be a good idea.” Inuyasha said before turning to Miroku. “Hey Miroku, didn’t you tell us that to the North someone suspicious was lurking about?”

“That’s right.” Miroku replied. “A very lovely lady a few villages back had said to me that a female demon was causing trouble. What’s more is that the demon looked like a little girl.”

“That sounds like Kanna.” Said Sango.

“You mean one of Naraku’s incarnations?” I asked.

“That’s right. Kanna is just one, Kagura is another, but Naraku has made many more over the course of time.” Miroku replied.

“If Kanna is up North then there is a higher probability that Naraku will be there as well.” Inuyasha concluded.

“So to the North is where we will go.” Kagome confirmed.

Everyone gathered their stuff and headed off. The road we were taking will lead us first through some farming villages until we get to the base of the mountain. We will then have to climb the mountain using a less used trail. At one point the mountain is split in two by a river so we will then have to cross a bridge to get to the other side. Then we have to scale down that mountain to get where we need to go.

Or so I was told by Miroku and Sango. It seemed like a lot of walking to me, but I was the one who wanted to come along so I can’t complain. The thing is that there is no real proof that Naraku is even in the North. Or that it is even this Kanna person. To think that Kagome and the others have to rely on such small clues to try and find the guy. ‘I’m really surprised that they stay in such a good mood most of the time.’ I thought.

“What are you thinking about?” asked Kagome.

“About how awesome you guys are.” I replied honestly
.
“What?” Inuyasha asked unbelievingly.

“Well I was thinking about how you don’t even know for sure if Naraku is really up North, but your going anyway.” I said. “And even though you don’t know for certain what your future holds you’re still walking forward with your heads held high. I think that’s a great attitude to have. All of you impress me so much.”

“That’s nice of you to say. But you know that you are apart of us now right?” Sango asked.

“I’m only here because I’m returning the kindness that you have all shown me. It’s not like Naraku has done anything to me.” ‘Except break my arm.’ I thought. “Well all I know is that I’m glad that I had a chance to meet all of you.”

“What’s this all of a sudden?” asked Inuyasha. “You’re making it sound like you’re about to die or something.”

“I just feel like it was the right time to say it.” I replied. ‘But it is true that I have been feeling increasingly uneasy.’ I thought silently.

As the day wore on we finally made it to the base of the mountain. “We will rest here tonight.” Inuyasha declared. It had been a long day so nobody really minded.

“Tomorrow we should make it to the bottom of the next mountain as long as we maintain a steady pace.” Miroku said after we had eaten our dinner.

“So we should make it to the bridge about midday, right?” Asked Sango.

“That’s correct.” Replied Miroku. “I guess we could stop there for lunch. What do you say Inuyasha?”

“That sounds fine to me, as long as we don’t run into any trouble.” Replied Inuyasha. It seemed to me that Inuyasha looked as uneasy as I felt.

After dinner everyone found a place to rest and went to sleep. It seemed like I was the only one awake when I heard a noise from above me. Inuyasha had chosen to sleep in a tree, but was far from falling asleep himself. I got up and went over to him.

“Hey Inuyasha.” I said quietly. “Are you sure you’re not a cat instead of a dog?”

“Why do you ask that?”

“Well you seem to like trees a lot more than a dog should.” I replied with a slight chuckle. Inuyasha just looked at me funny. “But in all seriousness I feel a little uneasy about tomorrow.” I confided.
“Me too.” Agreed Inuyasha. “I don’t know why though. It’s not like we are near the place where Kanna should be. And even if we were I have never felt like this before.”

“I feel like something big is going to happen tomorrow. But it isn’t going to be good.” I said while looking up at the stars.

“Well there is no point in worrying about it now, for either of us. We have to get our rest for tomorrow.” Inuyasha said after a brief pause.

I sighed slightly. I knew he was right, but I didn’t know if I could realistically fall asleep. But I just nodded my head and bid him a good night. I went back to my spot that I had picked out and covered myself with my blanket. It took a little while but I finally was able to get to sleep. But it wasn’t a peaceful sleep.

I knew before anything happened that this was a dream. The reason I knew that was because standing right in front of me were my dead parents. ‘Though they look pretty good for dead people.’ I thought. Even though I knew this was a dream I still had to play my part in it.

“Mom! Dad! Why are you here?” I asked while walking towards them.

“What do you mean Aya?” my mom asked. ‘Aya?’ I thought. I hadn’t been called that since my parents died. It was my Mom’s nickname for me. “It’s time for dinner.”

It was then that my surroundings went from a vague nothingness to the house that I had grown up in with my parents. I figured out the memory which this dream was based off of. It was the last Christmas dinner that I had with my family before my parents died.

It was also a very happy memory. My brother was even in a good mood that day. As the memory went on we all sat down and ate dinner. It was a delicious meal that my mother had spent hours on. We were all laughing and having a good time when something changed that wasn’t part of the original memory. An orange glow started to take over the dream. I looked around the dining room and the walls had caught on fire. ‘This isn’t right!’ I thought frantically. ‘My parents didn’t die this night!’ I was starting to panic. “Mom! Dad! We have to get out of here!” I yelled at them.

“Why?” asked my father. “The meal isn’t done yet.” Apparently they couldn’t see the flames that were engulfing the whole house.

“If we don’t get out of here now we are all going to die!” I said while getting up from my chair and walking towards my dad. The flames were creeping closer and closer to him. I reached out my hand to pull him away, but the flames got there first. My father was consumed by the flames in an instant. It wasn’t natural for flames to act like that. It was like my father had been dipped in kerosene before the flames got to him. As the flames quickly devoured his body he started to scream. I could do nothing but watch as my father was burned alive. Then I heard a female voice join in on the screaming. I turned around to see my mother being engulfed by flames as well. I turned slightly more to look at my brother. He too was covered in flames. ‘But he’s alive!’ I thought. ‘Both of us were gone at the time.’ I sunk to the floor sobbing. I couldn’t help any of them. Their screams continued for so long. ‘Shouldn’t they have died by now?’ I yelled inside my head. My hands were covering my ears to try and block some of the screaming out.

As soon as I thought that all three bodies fell to the ground in silence. I slowly looked up and saw three burnt corpses on the floor. The house was still a blazing inferno. Just as I was wishing that this dream would end another sound took over for the screaming. It was a worse sound. It was a high cold laugh that chilled me to the bone. ‘I know that laugh.’ I thought as it grew louder and louder. Blocking my ears didn’t help anymore. When I couldn’t take it anymore, I yelled, “STOP! LEAVE ME ALONE!”