I'm in the Feudal Era!

I’m in the FEUDAL ERA! Ch. 12

I’m in the FEUDAL ERA!

Chapter 12

I awoke covered in sweat and with an erratic heart beat. Everyone was still asleep so I guess I wasn’t thrashing around during my dream.

I was still slightly dark outside but I couldn’t calm down enough to go back to sleep. I figured I would go to the stream that was near by and wash up a bit. As I was splashing the cool water onto my face I remembered where I had heard that laugh before. It was the second time I had run into Rin and Lord Sesshomaru. That puppet of Naraku’s had the same laugh.

‘But that’s not right.’ I thought. Naraku had nothing to do with my parents death.’ Perhaps it was a bad omen. As soon as I had woken up the uneasy feeling from last night had turned into one of dread. ‘And what about my brother? He didn’t die in the fire either. Is it a sign that something bad has happened to him?’ I started to worry myself more than necessary. I had to focus on what needed to be done today. When I get back to camp I will just ask Kagome to check on my brother on her next trip back home.

Walking back to camp was very relaxing. It didn’t make the feeling of dread go away but it did make it more manageable. ‘At least I don’t feel like running for the hills anymore.’ I thought. When I finally made it back to camp everyone was just waking up. I gave Kagome a little while to fully wake up before I asked her my question. “Hey Kagome, can I ask you for a favor?”

“Sure Amaya, what’s up?” she replied.

“I was wondering if you could check on my brother on your next visit back home.”

“Sure. But why?” she asked.

“I just have a weird feeling. I want to make sure he is doing alright.” I explained. Kagome nodded and said that she would do what I had asked. I felt really grateful to her at that moment. She is dealing with so much, yet she still is willing to help others. I was amazed by her perseverance.

After a short breakfast we gathered all that we needed and started to hike up the side of the mountain. I had thought that it would be an easy walk up, but I underestimated the time period. It was one thing to hike a well cared for trail and another to hike a trail that was only used as a last resort in the Feudal Era. There were times when the trail was non-existent and Inuyasha had to look around for a couple of minutes before finding it again. Luckily Miroku took this into consideration last night when telling us how long it would take. So we still made it to the bridge by midday. It was there that we decided to take a break.

As everyone else was sitting down and eating some fruit that Shippo had found along the trail I walked up to the bridge that we soon would be crossing. All I could think was, ‘Holy Crap!’ In my mind I was picturing a bridge made out of stone or solid looking wood. I couldn’t have been more wrong. The thing was made out of rope and wooden planks. The wooden planks looked like they had seen one too many rainy days. I looked below the bridge and saw a tiny little stream. From what Miroku had told me earlier, the river separating the two mountains was very wide and had a strong current that would sweep anything away. You couldn’t tell that from where I was standing. ‘No one would survive a fall like that.’ I thought to myself. It was then that I realized that whatever happens I couldn’t cross this bridge. ‘Even if I have to go all the way back to Kaede’s village and disappoint the others, I won’t be able to cross the bridge.’

“Hey Miroku,” I said from over my shoulder, “Are you sure there no other way across the chasm?”

“Yes there is.” Miroku replied. I left out a sigh of relief. “But it is weeks out of the way. If we had taken that route we would miss our chance of finding Naraku.”

Inuyasha had hopped up from where he was sitting and was now standing by me. “What’s the matter Amaya? Are you scared of heights?” He asked while laughing at me. “Well the best way to overcome your fears is to face them head on.”

Inuyasha then started to push me towards the start of the bridge. I tried to stop him by digging my heels into the ground. When that didn’t work I started to yell. “Inuyasha! Stop!” I hated the way my voice sounded so afraid. Inuyasha gave me one last push and I was now standing on the bridge. It started to sway like crazy. I could hear Inuyasha laughing at me as I was holding on to the rope railings for dear life.

“Inuyasha, don’t you think that was a little immature?” Miroku asked.

“I was just having a little fun.” He replied turning to face Miroku.

After my heart had stopped doing a tap dance in my chest I straightened up and glared at Inuyasha. “What the hell is wrong with you!” I yelled.

He turned to look at me again and was about to reply when something at the other end of the bridge caught his attention. “Amaya get off the bridge!” He ordered.

I of course had to see what the issue was and turned around just enough to see the other side. Standing at the opposite end of the bridge was a person dressed in a baboon pelt. I could feel my eyes growing wide in shock as Inuyasha impatiently pulled me forward off the bridge.

Inuyasha had pulled out Tetsusaiga and was about to cross the bridge, but Naraku was faster. It seemed like only a second went by before Naraku was standing right in front of us. Without the slightest bit of hesitation Naraku used one of his tentacles and knocked Inuyasha and me back a few feet onto the ground.

The wind was temporarily knocked out of me, but Inuyasha got up right away. I too hurriedly got to my feet and drew my own sword. I took a second to look at my surroundings. Inuyasha, Miroku, and Sango formed a u-shape around Naraku. Each of them had their own weapons drawn. Kagome and Shippo were off to one side. Kagome already had an arrow notched on her bow. Kirara was in her saber tooth form and appeared to be guarding her.

“Amaya go and protect Kagome.” Inuyasha ordered over his shoulder. I nodded stiffly and took my stance on the other side of Kagome.

“I see you have another companion.” Naraku observed.

“She has nothing to do with you Naraku.” Inuyasha said angrily.

“But we have already made each others acquaintance. Haven’t we girl?” asked Naraku. “You got in my way last time so I will be returning the favor today.”

“You met Naraku before?” Kagome asked in a shocked voice.

I sighed slightly. “I will tell you later Kagome. It wasn’t a big issue at the time.” Kagome nodded but didn’t say anything else. We turned our attention back to Naraku. While talking things had escalated with the others.

Something Naraku had said caused Inuyasha to charge at him in anger. Naraku easily jumped out of the way. He countered by releasing more tentacles and trying to impale Inuyasha. Because Naraku had moved Inuyasha was off balance and couldn’t defend himself. Sango saw this and threw her boomerang, effectively cutting the tentacles before they could reach Inuyasha.

“Thanks Sango.” Inuyasha said before jumping back into the fray. Miroku was also doing his best by using his staff and sutra scrolls. He couldn’t use his Wind Tunnel because Naraku had brought his poison insects with him.

Because the other three were attacking him relentlessly Naraku didn’t pay Kagome and me any attention. I was fine with that, but it didn’t last long. All of a sudden there was a huge gust of wind and I was almost knocked off my feet once again.

Hover in front of us on a huge feather was a woman dressed in a purple and white kimono. She had black hair, red eyes, and pointy ears. ‘She is definitely a demon.’ I thought while preparing to fight.
“It seems that you have nothing to do.” The demon said as she hopped off her feather. The feather shrunk back to a normal size which she then put in her hair. I was starting to think that nothing in this world would surprise me anymore.

“Amaya watch out. That demon is Kagura, she can control the wind with her fans.” Kagome informed me.

‘Great!’ I thought. ‘How am I supposed to fight the wind?!’ As I had that last thought Kagura raised her arm and brought it back down in a quick motion. When she did that a gust of wind came forth. I guessed from the gesture that she had made in which direction the wind would head. Unfortunately it was right at me. I quickly dodged, but I wasn’t fast enough. I felt a sharp pain in my right arm. I looked down to find a gash. I had thought when, Kagome said that Kagura could control the wind, that she could create tornadoes or something. ‘How is it possible to create blades out of wind?!’
“Kagome, how are we going to fight her?” I asked desperately.

“I have a plan.” Kagome said. “I will create an opening with my sacred arrow. When that time comes you have to strike her quickly.”

When Kagome had finished explaining her plan without speaking we split up. We started to circle Kagura waiting for the perfect moment. I then spotted Shippo creeping up behind her. Apparently he had heard what we had said. I noticed that Kirara had joined the others in fighting Naraku. It seemed to me that even with their continuous bombardment of attacks Naraku still had the upper hand.

Shippo was now right by Kagura’s feet. She still hadn’t noticed his presence when he conjured some of his fox fire. When she felt the flames she looked down and then kicked Shippo away from her. That was what Kagome and I were waiting for. As Kagura was distracted by Shippo, Kagome released an arrow that cut threw her protective wind barrier.

I sprang forward just as Kagura batted the arrow out of the way, and brought my sword down on her. She was quicker than I thought and leaped into the air. Though it wasn’t a direct hit I still managed to cut her on her side. Kagura then hit me with another gust of wind. I tumbled head over heels all the way back to the tree line.

‘I feel sick.’ I thought as I rose to my knees. A movement out of the corner of my eye caused me to look up. None other than Lord Sesshomaru himself had just walked out of the forest.