Il Mondo Perduto

003

"I'm sorry, Josephina." I whispered to her sleeping form.

I knew I had lied to her, but at this point I couldn't make myself care. That ungodly woman had my father and I had to persuade Josephina to keep going to The Eye. It was the only way I would get my father back. Domentrica had taken him when we had first went to retrieve The Eye. She had said that I would never see him again if I didn't get Josephina to get The Eye and bring her back to the Capital.

I sighed as I started my trek back into the dark dense forest. The branches of the trees got heavier and thicker the farther I went into the forest, but it was the only way to get back to the Capital.

I didn't lie to Josephina about my family, but I had lied when I said we would be going to get The Eye together. I wasn't allowed to set foot on her premises ever again. I had betrayed her the first time I'd seen her and now I was living a lie. Luring gifted people in to get them to retrieve The Eye for Domentrica, but it never worked. They always tried to free The Eye. Her power was too great for Domentrica, too great for the Capital. It was certainly too great for people like me. According to Domentrica, I was the kind of person that lived life lying to people, stealing, and abusing the gift that most people cherish.

The leafy floor of the forest crunched under the heaviness of my feet. The moons shone down brightly across the forest, making the shadows of the night disappear. The trees looked much taller than they were in the darkness. I sighed and continued my journey back. Domentrica would not be entirely pleased, but she wouldn't punish me either.

The trees got lighter as I stepped out of the dense forest and made my way to a thicket of bushes that overshadowed a great city. The thicket was of course on a hill, so it hid me well from passers-by. I crept by the thicket and waltzed up the Capital building. It wasn't all that dissimilar from The Eye's sacred building, but it was different in many ways.

I sighed once more before opening the double doors on the outside and walking in. Domentrica was sure to be mad at me. I hadn't failed her, but I had left Josephina to defend for herself and for that she was going to be pissed.

The stairs that led to the higher office were cold cement. The banister, a thick black painted pole. I slowly climbed the stairs until I reached the top. The floor was much the same as the stairs. Cold cement. It felt as though nobody had ever walked on it, yet the the yellow arrows pointing the direction was fading.

I sucked in a lung full of breath and released it before opening the door to my left to reveal Domentrica and her assistants. I looked around the room as I walked in. Screens were set up all over the room, showing moving images. Josephina was on one, The Eye on another.

"I've led her out of the forest." I murmured out to her.

Domentrica's coal black hair reached the end of her back and snaked back up. She was dressed in work attire, a navy blue skirt and a bleach white blouse. Her long, lean legs poked out from below the skirt and showed off an eight inch scar that ran from the tip of her knee to her ankle. I had seen this scar before, but had never questioned her where she had gotten it.

"Good. Tomorrow you'll need to go back to her and assist her to The Eye. Don't want our new little heroine to get lost in the Plague Lands, now do we?" She asked snottily. Her thin, pointed nose stuck high in the air.

"But I did what you said, madam. I lied to her. Won't you let my father go?" I pleaded with her. I was still standing near the door.

She gave me a sharp look and said without turning her cold eyes off of me, " Not until I get The Eye."

I bowed my head and walked from the room. Josephina was likely to feel betrayed, but I needed my father. My mother had died and all I had left was my father. I couldn't lose him as well. I had to get him back and to do that, Josephina had to get The Eye to Domentrica.