Il Mondo Perduto

004

Josephina awoke to the sun breaking through the canopy of trees. She stretched her long limbs, before pulling herself into a sitting position. Smiling, she stood up and rolled her sleeping bag up and put it into her other bag. Her smile slipped from her face as she looked over at the place where Arathine was the night before. He was gone. Where could he have gone? She questioned this as she looked on with curiosity and anger written all over her face.

He had left her to fend for herself. Fine, she could do that. She gathered her bag up and smothered out the last of the dying flames before making her way through the forest. The Plague Lands weren't that hard to get into, it was getting out that was extremely hard. She sucked in a breath and let it out slowly. This walk would take a little time.

Josephina hitched her bag up higher on her shoulders and nearly stumbled over a tree branch that was in her way.The area she was in was full of trees. The place she needed to get to had nothing to offer but desert and sky. She was looking forward to that.

Why would he leave me? Josephina thought to herself as she stumbled her way through the valley of evergreen trees. The branches snagging her hair and barely scratching her face. She sighed and hung her head down. After his story last night, she had been sure that he was on her side, but now she realized that he was with Domentrica and she wanted to know why.

The area amongst her cleared and she was soon standing nearby a beautiful cascading waterfall and a pool of crystal blue water. Josephina had heard of this place. It was said that if you were to touch the water, you'd be turned into glass. No one had ever had the courage to try it out, so no one knew. And then Domentrica had forbidden anyone to ever touch it if they came upon it. Once Josephina had gotten The Eye to safety, she'd definitely come back here. She smiled at the thought and once more started walking towards her destination.

The Plague Lands weren't actually barren wastelands like so many people thought they were. Not here in the lost world anyway. Here they vast areas of desert. The horizon is where the desert and sky meet and conjoin together. It's mesmerizingly beautiful. The sky is endless in the Plague Lands. Galaxies, planets, asteroids, and different planetoids are visible to the eye. It's a never ending cycle of amazing and beautiful sights.

Josephina kept her eyes peeled for any other land marks that might signal that she was getting closer to the Plague Lands. The waterfall was only a few miles from the Plague Lands, it was just getting there that was so difficult. The forested area got lighter and lighter with every step she took until finally, just as the sun reflected off of the moons in the distance, she reached the outskirts of the Plague Lands.

She sighed with relief and clambered out of the forest. Her heart beat rapidly in her chest when she saw the Del Mu-do forest on the other side of the Plague Lands. That was the forest The Eye was located in. All she had to do was cross this plateau and she would be there. Unfortunately things aren't always as easy as they sound.

Josephina's only issue at the moment, were the three incredibly tall Lost étranger. They were particularly normal for this region, but Josephina didn't happen to be from this region. She was from Earth, where these alien-like creatures only existed in books of fantasy. The Lost étranger had six eyes on an equally deformed face. Their heads were more like boxes upon broad shoulders. Their bodies were like pencils, thin and twig-like, but strong enough to support their builds. They had no feet, but looked as if they hovered inches above the ground.

"Great, I just knew this wasn't all there was to this place," Josephina muttered to herself, pulling out her knives from her bag and slinging it roughly over her shoulder.

The Lost étranger sent her a smirk, or what she had assumed was a smirk before launching a boulder the size of a car at her. She dodged it, but just barely. Realizing a knife wasn't going to cut it with these guys, she stuffed them into her boots and waited for the perfect strike moment. Which meant that she would have to get close to these guys. Another boulder was launched at her from the étranger the farthest to her left. She flung herself out of the way, before heading to the first one and attacking it. After a failed attack of the first one, she soon realized under their right arm was their weak spot. She smiled in spite of her situation and pulled out her knife.

Moving swiftly to her left, she dodged another boulder and flung herself at one of the Lost étranger. She dug her knife under the strong skin and pushed through to the other side of him. Pushing him to the ground, she pulled out her knife and attacked another Lost étranger. This time didn't work out as well as the last one had, she was thrown to ground and savagely kneed in the stomach six times. Josephina rolled over just as the Lost étranger threw itself to the ground where she had been mere seconds before.

She got her knife and stabbed it under the arm before he even had the chance to get up.

"One left," Josephina mumbled weakly under her breath. Her knife pointed in the direction of the last Lost étranger. This one looked even more menacing than the others before it. It's eyes were drawn peculiarly to the left and were glaring at her.

She did what she thought was best. As the Lost étranger charged toward her, she hurled her blade at the flank under it's arm and hit it dead on target. The étranger stopped in it's tracks and lurched forward, unexpectedly hitting the ground with a loud thud.

Josephina sat down, breathing hard, as she pulled out her cantine and drank from it. Her stomach ached from where that bastard had kicked her profusely. She breathed in a lung full of air and hopped up. She wasn't too far away from the Del Mu-do forest. It was less than a mile from where she stood. Now all she had to do was rescue The Eye. But that was her biggest problem. If she were to rescue The Eye, where would she take her? There weren't many safe places in Il Mondo Perduto. She'd just have to figure that out when she got there. And with that thought in mind she set off for the forest with the sacred building.