Status: Critique greatly appreciated, nitpickers welcome! Don't be a silent reader!

The Key Chased the Blade

7:23 AM

I didn't want to tell Simon about the bird outside my window, so he ended up not knowing about it. But the same time, I desperately wanted to spill it to him. I was too terrified that he would get upset over it, though. A week had passed and nothing abnormal happened, so he was getting back to normal. We had started being goofy again without worrying about something crazy happening. But that was until Saturday morning when my Dad had turned on the TV to the news.

That's when I found out that Sadie Amala's mom had killed herself.

"Our top story this morning is of Annie Amala, the mother of Sadie Amala, who was found dead in her home at 7:23 AM by her worried neighbors. She had tragically committed suicide, hanging herself from the roof and clutching a "mysterious note" in her hand that only said, 'thank you for the cake'. This woman had recently experienced the death of her daughter..."

I stopped listening and grabbed the TV remote to turn the TV off. My dad turned to look at me funny.

"I thought you said the news was full of shit," I said shakily. "So I turned the TV off."

Then I went into my bedroom and laid in my bed for three hours.

Simon texted me a billion times, but I ignored him, and Dad tried to get me to talk to him too, but I ignored him as well. Dad had bigger problems with John at the moment. John had been shoplifting, Dad found out, and he was grounded until Hell freezes over. Dad still wasn't over being mad at him for that. John was just lucky he didn't get caught. I was just happy to be alone.

Simon was probably wanting to know if I had watched the news, so I turned my phone off for a while. But after my three-hour vigil was over, I looked at the texts to see what he was trying to tell me. He actually didn't say anything about the death. But what he did say scared the hell outta me.

Hey, can you come over?

I'm having a problem. Can you come over?

Noah, please answer. This is really serious. I'm freaking out.

Noah. Help.

Please help.


Then I just raced out the door and didn't stop until I got to Simon's house.
♠ ♠ ♠
Wow, this is probably the most popular story I have on this site. I've got eight subscribers! (That's one more than my other story, Chroma, and that one has seven. I haven't uploaded a lot on that one mainly because I'm in the process of editing/hating it.)