Status: Critique greatly appreciated, nitpickers welcome! Don't be a silent reader!

The Key Chased the Blade

Cough Drops

Simon and I argued on whether or not to tell his parents what had happened. Simon vehemently fought against it. I told him it was probably the stupidest idea he had ever had not to tell them. And then I threatened to tell my own dad.

"No! He'll tell my dad!" Simon looked about ready to wet himself. "Noah, you can't be serious about this!"

"Simon. You got stabbed. I may not be the most maternal person in the universe, but I think as a mother, I would want to know if my child got stabbed."

Simon shut up after that.

We went down to the police station and gave a report to the policemen. They actually looked pretty disturbed. Simon showed them his wounds, they brought him in the back, and I once again waited in the lobby for him to come out. It took forever. There weren't many interesting magazines to read this time.

Simon eventually came out. He looked a little worried, but he didn't say anything about it, and when we got back in his car, he said he'd drive the way back home. I let him, but then I realized something. I'd told Mrs. O'Neill we were getting cough drops.

"This was probably the longest run to Walgreens I've ever been on," Simon muttered when I told him.

We turned into the parking lot and parked. The weather was almost sunny today. A lot of time had passed and I wasn't sure what time it was. Mrs. O'Neill was bound to be birthing a cow. The thought amused me for a moment before we slid out of the car and headed towards the store. I saw some kids messing around on the street corner.

At first, I wasn't sure where I recognized him. He was a dark-haired kid with a baseball cap and pants sagging halfway down his legs; he wasn't someone I would normally would hang out with. He was obviously flirting with this one chick I didn't know; he was pulling at her skirt and making kissy faces at her. God. Definitely someone I would not hang out with. But then I realized who he was.

It was Tyler Marvin, Sadie Amala's previous boyfriend.

I swore loudly. Simon shot a surprised look at me, but I was already stalking away. I was going to kill him. This kid was full of bullcrap. Loads and loads of bullcrap. What a God damn freaking douche-

"Noah, wait-" Simon started.

But I had already overcome him. I grabbed his shoulder and twisted him around, raised my fist and-

Simon grabbed me by the waist and hauled me up into the air. My legs kicked furiously. "YOU FREAKING DOUCHEBAG!" I screamed. "YOUR GIRLFRIEND JUST DIED, YOU GODDAMN PLAYER!"

He was obviously startled and his douche-friends were gaping at me all at the same time. The girl he was flirting with just kind of shrieked. I continued to blast insults at him until Simon managed to wrestle me away from them. I swung a few punches at Simon just for good measure.

But the boy pulled away from his friends, and he smiled in an odd way, kind of amused, kind of sad. It made me freaking pissed. I wanted to slap that smirk off of his face.

"Hey girlie, I'm not Tyler Marvin," he said. "I'm his identical twin brother."
♠ ♠ ♠
Things are gonna get real.