Status: Critique greatly appreciated, nitpickers welcome! Don't be a silent reader!

The Key Chased the Blade

Rehearsal

"What?" Simon demanded.

I tightened my hands into fists. "I think there may be some connection, okay? You saw those damn dead birds near that clock that one day. And I didn't tell you about this, but there was a dead bird hanging from my window too. I don't want to think my stupid brother could have been vandalizing the whole town, but seriously. I'm scared. Now that I know he's done it too, I'm afraid."

Simon didn't say anything. His grey eyes stared into mine and his face was expressionless. I couldn't tell what he was thinking. The sky above us began sprinkling rain.

"What?" I asked harshly. "Say something!"

"I'm not letting you go home alone then."

I felt like punching him. I felt like slapping him. But I couldn't do anything. I just stood there, trembling in rage, and I couldn't do a single thing.

"We need to calm down and think this over," Simon said. Now his expression changed. He was hurt. And I thought he was betrayed as well. It made my heart twist into a knot to see him look like he was going to cry. "Come inside for a second."

"Your mom is going to kill you," I said. "You've been gone for hours."

"She has rehearsal today. Luckily I remembered that."

I quivered.

"Fine," I spat, but I honestly wanted to figure this all out. I desperately wanted to understand what was going on. "Let's talk then."

And I followed him inside and the rain began to pour behind me.
♠ ♠ ♠
My goodness I have been so bad at posting these things. I've been trying to figure out how to actually go through with this story... I forget when and how I should reveal information.

Oh well, I can always go back and edit, but...