Status: Critique greatly appreciated, nitpickers welcome! Don't be a silent reader!

The Key Chased the Blade

Coffee

Simon started making coffee and I saw the note his mom left on the fridge for him, which she'd probably written before she left.

Leaving for work, be back at the usual time.
Don't get into trouble.


I almost laughed.

I sat down at the kitchen table and watched Simon pull out the coffee cups. He had his favorite and my favorite, his with the Christmas trees and elves - I honestly had no idea why that was his favorite one - and mine had a picture of a guy drinking coffee and saying "How about a nice big cup of STFU?" Simon's mom was not too fond of that one. His dad was more lenient and actually said it could be my own personal mug.

"Hey Noah?" Simon asked.

"Yeah?"

Simon sounded really hurt. I tried not to be guilty, but I halfway knew what he was upset about. I couldn't stand it. I may have abused Simon in more ways than one, but this killed me. I knew I had really hurt him.

"Can we promise each other to tell each other things that are important?"

"Yeah," I said. Simon wasn't looking at me and he was pouring the coffee in the mugs. He put in the right amount of sugar and creamer in mine just how I liked it. He liked his coffee black, so I was always the reason for his sugar and creamer shortages because I liked my coffee to taste like candy. "Look, Simon," I blurted. "I'm sorry for not telling you about the bird. I didn't want you to freak out."

"It's okay." He looked at me now and his face killed me. He was worried. He was really worried. "I didn't tell you about getting hurt, so I guess it's fair."

"I promise you I will tell you if something comes up," I said. "I swear I will, I swear it."

A faint smile appeared on his face as he set down the coffee cups. "I promise too, Noah," he said softly. I just wished he'd have his stupid dorky grin back. "Especially if something worse happens."

It wasn't a joke. Simon was serious.

"Yeah, especially if something worse happens," I said, and I realized that I would probably never see that stupid dorky grin until this was all over.
♠ ♠ ♠
Double post because my last one was hecka short.