Status: Critique greatly appreciated, nitpickers welcome! Don't be a silent reader!

The Key Chased the Blade

Television

Simon gave me a pair of sweatpants to change into and helped me clean up the floor. My mouth was as dry as sandpaper, but Simon didn't notice my distress. He was distressed as well. I didn't know whether or not to say something about his drawing. Simon never liked it when he found out someone had gone through his sketchbook.

"It's almost six o' clock," he said. "I'll turn on the TV."

I didn't say anything and followed him to the living room.

Simon switched on the TV and sat next to me on the couch. The channel was on the sports channel, so Simon had to change it to the news with the remote. My heart pulsed in my ears. Simon tugged at his hair again. We waited a few seconds for the commercials to be over.

"Good evening Siuslaw, this is Marcy Adams and Taylor Mitchell, and here is the six o' clock news," a woman said. The screen showed a man and a woman sitting at a desk with a fake background behind them. The woman continued, "Our top story of the day is the tragic death of Annie Amala, mother of Sadie Amala, the girl whom had been murdered underneath Jefferson Bridge weeks ago. She was found today at 7:23 AM hanged from her roof in an alleged act of suicide. There was no explanation except for a note clutched in her hand that said, 'thank you for the cake.'"

Suddenly, Simon gripped onto my hand.

I wasn't expecting that at all. "Annie, the single mother of one, allegedly showed no signs of depression before this day. She was described as happy, carefree, and kind by her peers." A picture of Annie and Sadie smiling happily showed on the screen. They looked alike. They both had long dark hair and olive skin. "Annie is a person that will be sorely missed. Taylor, why don't you tell us-"

The TV clicked off. Simon held the remote in his quivering hand.

"That was for us," he said.

I didn't say anything.

"That note was for us."

"At least it wasn't bad. At least the cake was appreciated." My own voice startled me. I couldn't put any emotion into it. I couldn't feel anything enough to make myself sound sad or upset. It was monotone.

Simon's hand shook in mine. "I don't know what that means."

I didn't want to answer that.

"I just know that we need to find who's responsible for this."