Status: Critique greatly appreciated, nitpickers welcome! Don't be a silent reader!

The Key Chased the Blade

Serial Killers

I woke up the next day hearing rain patter on the window. I looked over to it. Then I realized I was in Simon's guest room and everything came rushing back at me.

I stared at my face in the mirror on the wall and waited for the memories to subside.

It was ten o' clock. I wandered out of the room and found Simon in the kitchen making coffee. I saw my favorite cup next to him already with the crap-load of creamer and sugar in it. Simon didn't notice me until I was beside him.

"Oh hey. About time you woke up, I thought you were dead," he said.

I didn't laugh, but I grumbled and jabbed him in the ribs with my elbow.

"You eye looks better," he said.

"Gimme some coffee."

"It's going to be done in a minute."

"Then in a minute I will be awake enough to make a decent conversation."

"You slept for thirteen hours," Simon pointed out.

"Thirteen hours was not enough."

"Fine then." He chuckled a little. The coffee rumbled and I went to the table to wait. Eventually Simon came over and handed me the steaming cup of coffee. His eyes were puffy from crying and his hair was all messed up. He sat down and took a sip from his drink. "Ouch!" he cried.

"It just came out, Simon!" I cackled. He made an ugly face at me and I made one back. "It's hot, what were you thinking?"

"I wasn't. I guess I need more coffee then."

"God, Simon."

He just grinned. It made a warmth go through my chest to see that it was his stupid dorky grin.

But then it faded. "Do you want to know what the police and my parents talked about?"

I frowned and looked down at my coffee. The creamer was swirling around at the top. "Sure. Let's talk about serial killers in the morning. It's a great way to start the day.

"We don't have to if you don't want to."

"It's fine. Just go for it. I would end up finding out sometime today."

"Okay." Simon blew on his coffee and grew pensive. I almost wished I hadn't gotten up. "They just talked about what happened to me and my parents kind of freaked out. My dad was yelling at me and my mom wanted to see the wound, so I showed her, and my dad kind of threw a fit. They were mad about me not telling them, which was understandable. But then the police told them they were going to set up surveillance outside, and they let them do that. There's a bunch of cameras in the yard now in case someone tries to hurt me or my family again."

I stared at my coffee. "So everything's pretty much fine?"

"Yeah. I'm just not allowed to be home alone. My mom might make you stay over for a couple more nights until she can get a break from work."

I looked up at him. "Let's go look up that washing lady."