Status: Critique greatly appreciated, nitpickers welcome! Don't be a silent reader!

The Key Chased the Blade

Escape

Simon and I goofed around until his parents came home and kind of gave us some housekeeping rules. They were okay with me staying another night, and we were most definitely not going to school tomorrow. It almost felt like the planets were aligned or something. Everything was working out the way we hoped.

When night fell, Simon's parents went to bed and we went into our respective rooms. I waited around a bit and read the old Huckleberry Finn novel by the bedside until Simon texted me that he was sure his parents had fallen asleep. It was about 10:30. I grabbed the stupid hippie jacket Rico dropped off for me today and pulled it over my head. Then I slipped some gloves on and grabbed the flashlight I stashed in the nightstand by the bed, and I quietly eased myself out of the room. Luckily Simon lived in a new house, so the stairs didn't creak when I climbed up them. His door was ajar when I approached and entered it.

Simon was tugging a beanie over his head. You going to be warm enough? he signed.

Yeah, I said back. Simon gave me a look saying that he didn't believe me, and I guessed he had had a valid reason to think so anyway, given our last adventure into the cold. He tossed a pink hat at me without saying anything. I grimly put it on. This doesn't even match my outfit, I signed.

A dorky smile broke out onto his face. No one's going to see it in the dark anyway.

Whatever.

Simon looked out his window. It was open and there was a slight chill in the air. I've looked at the security cameras and the only way we can get past them without being recorded is to go out my window, he said in sign language. We'll have to climb down our ivy wall, but I think it'll be okay.

Sounds like an adventure.

Simon grinned. It'll be one. Then he turned off his lamp and opened his window fully.