Status: Critique greatly appreciated, nitpickers welcome! Don't be a silent reader!

The Key Chased the Blade

Surprise

Simon and I caught our breath and wandered down the street. I whistled a couple tunes as we went after we both stopped panicking. It was starting to snow. God, winter was really beginning, and I was freezing my ass off out here. So I whistled Frosty the Snowman until I got bored with it and went on to Jingle Bell Rock. Simon tried to copy me, but all he got out was an airy sound.

"Jesus, Simon, you still can't whistle?" I asked. "How many times have I tried to teach you?"

"Too many to count. I think it's just my face."

We both laughed and moved on. I started whistling the regular Jingle Bells. It was kind of strange to be out this late; no one was even around. My dad always warned me about creepers and psychopaths, but no one was outside and were probably in bed. I bet even creepers and psychopaths needed a bedtime.

I saw an icy streetsign illuminated by a streetlamp at the corner. "Look, there's Alder Street. Sadie's house is down here," I said.

"Alright, let's go."

We pulled out our flashlights. Alder Street was a beat up type of street with no streetlamps to light it, so it was absolutely dark. I felt like a criminal. Probably a ridiculous one with my pink hat, though.

Then something slammed up against the fence. I screamed and grabbed onto Simon. "Goddamn!" But as soon as I heard the barking, I realized it was a dog. "It's that goddamn pitbull!"

Simon started cracking up. I let go of him punched him in the arm, and then directed my flashlight at the fence. The pitbull was slobbering and barking behind it. I swore again and briskly walked past it. Simon said a cheery goodbye to the stupid animal before catching up to me. My ribs still kind of hurt from my fall, so I had to slow down anyway. I muttered more curses at the pitbull and some at myself for being so stupid.

Simon continued to laugh.

"You can shut up. I swear, I won't be sympathetic when something scares you."

"Ah, okay. Oh, look, there's Sadie's house."

I turned the beam of light onto where he indicated. Sure enough, it was her house. White walls and a dark shingled roof, and a sort of ugly yellowish door to add onto it. It was kind of a plain home. It didn't look like anybody died in it.

"I don't see anything there," Simon said. "Did you see the banshee out in front or...?"

"I saw her out front." I pointed my flashlight to the approximate area. "It was about here."

"Oh, I see." Simon drew his flashlight over the lawn. There was really nothing but some wilted flowers in the garden. "Maybe we should check the back. She could be - OH!"

Simon gasped and nearly dropped his flashlight. I swore as his light swung around. "What is it?" I demanded. "What is it?"

Simon steadied his light and pointed the beam back where it was.

And I saw the dark figure standing alone in the yard that had shocked him.