Status: Critique greatly appreciated, nitpickers welcome! Don't be a silent reader!

The Key Chased the Blade

Mud Pies

The next day, I realized for a fact that Simon's parents were completely clueless about our excursion last night. They just went to work like they usually did and didn't even ask us about anything. I had some cuts on my hands and I'd woken up with a nasty bruise on my side, but they didn't even notice. I felt kind of bad. But I really felt bad when they both gave Simon a hug and told him to be safe today, and I felt even worse when Simon's mom came and hugged me too and told me to have a good day. They were so oblivious I couldn't even stand it. Maybe this was why Simon was such a goody-two-shoes all the time. He didn't have to live with the guilt.

I wanted to go banshee-hunting during the day, but Simon had a change of heart and was terrified to go outside. I told him he was being a wuss. He told me his parents would see our tracks in the snow and get mad at him for leaving the house. He stumped me with that. He was right. There was a thin layer of snow in the yard and undoubtedly Mrs. O'Neill, being the paranoid parent she was, would notice an extra pair of tracks and would deduct that both of us had been up to no good. I thought, though, Simon was more worried about his inner morals. He'd had enough with breaking the rules.

"In all seriousness," I told him, "we really need to find this banshee. We could save someone from getting hurt."

Simon and I ended up making a compromise. He would go out later in the day when the snow started falling again, so that it would cover up our tracks, but for now we would do some normal friend activities like watching movies and making a cooking disaster in the kitchen. That ended up killing most of our time.

I called Rico earlier to see how he was doing. He said things were getting complicated, but he wouldn't tell me what no matter how hard I pried. It worried me. I talked to Dad as well, and he really didn't have anything to say either. Then I talked to Logan, but all he had to say was that the mud pies he made me had frozen to the ground in the back yard, and he promised to make me more later. The only thing I got from all of that was that I needed to stay for a couple more days. They'd already talked to Simon's parents about it so it was okay.

At about 3:00, it started snowing heavily.

"Alright, Simon, it's time to go," I said.