Status: Critique greatly appreciated, nitpickers welcome! Don't be a silent reader!

The Key Chased the Blade

Crying

Simon and I went over to our local Market of Choice and spent about five hours looking for the right cake. It really wasn't five hours, but Simon couldn't make a decision. He was stuck between a frilly strawberry cake and an Oreo chocolate one, and I really didn't care much about either. I would've ate both of them if it were me. But I only had ten bucks on me, so I didn't want anything too fancy. Simon was loaded, so he wasn't too worried about buying an extravagant food item.

We ended up getting a vanilla and chocolate "black and white" cake.

After that we took some notebook paper and wrote a note on it because I wasn't about to spend five more hours trying to find the perfect Hallmark card for this situation. Simon wrote on the note: Hello, I want you to know that we care about your daughter and your situation. We hope that this brings you comfort and we hope that everything works out well for you. Best wishes. N & S.

God. He could be such a sap sometimes.

Simon and I went down Alder Street and found the girl's house and put the cake on the welcome mat. It really made me feel bad for some reason, but I didn't show it. We then rang the doorbell and took off. Simon was blubbering like a baby.

"God, Simon, Jesus, don't cry," I kept saying, but he kept on crying and he pulled me into a painful hug and got his tears and snot all over me. It made me feel worse and he was at the hiccuppy gaspy type of sobbing, so I really couldn't let him go. He didn't even know the girl's name. So I ended up just holding him until he could pull himself together.

At that point in time we were hiding behind a bush waiting for the girl's mom to come out and get the cake, and she eventually did after Simon stopped crying. She picked up the letter and put her hand over her mouth in surprise, and it killed me because she started crying and Simon started crying again and I couldn't be there any longer so I left. Simon left with me and I didn't look at him. I really couldn't. So we just left to our houses and he gave me another hug and told me to call him that night.

But as I went into my house, I thought back, and I realized that the girl's mom wasn't the lady I saw washing the sweatshirt.