Status: Critique greatly appreciated, nitpickers welcome! Don't be a silent reader!

The Key Chased the Blade

Scented Pinecone

It turned out only to be the UPS guy delivering a package to Simon's mom. Her sister delivered her an early Christmas present. Simon signed the package thingy and took the box to the table and left it there. He said it was probably a candle or a scented pinecone. His aunt liked to give them things that smelled nice.

Afterward, Simon realized something was wrong with me and asked what my phone call was about. I didn't know what to tell him. God. I was really flustered and felt like I was going to cry, but I didn't cry and ended up telling him what Rico told me. After that Simon just locked everything up and I kind of stood there with the package on the table that could've been a candle or a scented pinecone and waited until Simon got back from locking every single opening in the house shut.

"Do you think that was John we saw last night?" Simon asked.

"The crazy hobo?" I realized that it could've been a possibility that we had seen him. Rico did say that John left in the middle of the night. "I don't know. The guy looked too big to be John."

"That's true," he mused. "Your brother looks shorter anyway. And I don't think he would've chased after us like that. It probably was a mentally unstable homeless person."

"You're probably right," I said. Then I paused. "Let's go make a blanket fort."
♠ ♠ ♠
Short chapter.