Status: Critique greatly appreciated, nitpickers welcome! Don't be a silent reader!

The Key Chased the Blade

Tyler Marvin

The next day, school was still out because the roads were still icy, Simon and I logged onto my Facebook and searched for Tyler Marvin. It took me a while, but I finally found him. We stared at his profile for a few seconds before one of us said something.

"Do you think we should send him a friend request?" Simon asked.

"Do you think that would be creepy?" I waved my fingers over the keyboard. "Well, screw it, I'm just going to do it. I don't even know if he knows who 'Noah Mordred' is anyway."

I sent him a friend request.

I had only started to go through his profile until I received a notification. Tyler had accepted it. "He's online," I said. "I'm going to message him." I was really shaky for some reason, but I shot him a note. Hey Tyler, can we talk?

Simon scooted closer on his chair so he could see. Tyler typed, sure this is johns sis rite?

I guessed he did know me. Yeah. I met your brother at Walgreens the other day.

Tyler Marvin: hahahahahahahh! ya he told me bout u. whats wrong? r u in trouble?

I felt my face flame up. "What did he tell him?" Simon looked at me curiously.

Me: Wait, do you know about what's been going on?

Tyler Marvin: alex told me that ur freind got assaulted and sombodys been vandalising stuff.
*friend
i figured ud talk to me sooner or later bout it. ur trying to find out who did this rite?


"You told his twin that I got stabbed?" Simon was mortified. I tried to ignore him and type, but he shook my arm. I was getting flustered.

"I didn't think he'd let me talk to him if he didn't know something serious was happening," I said. "You can kill me later. Let me type."

Me: Yeah, I am. I want to know what went on with John's prank. Who's locker did he put the bird in?

Tyler started typing, but then stopped, and then typed again, but he probably erased what he was going to say. Simon kept bothering me, but I ignored him. This went on for a while before he actually sent his message.

Tyler Marvin: ok. look ill tell you what happened if u tell me everything u know. the police dont know shit bout this. they arnt going to help cuz they dont know any more then we do. they went to our house and got info from us but honestly i knew they couldnt help us. i want to find out who did this to sadie and im sick of not knowing anything. ok i guess what im saying is......i want to work together. is that ok?

Simon and I sat in silence as we read that. I had a sudden revolting feeling. I said, "No. We can't tell him anything. He's not going to believe it at all if we tell him about the banshee, and we don't have any proof to actually make him believe. I don't even want to to get him into this more than he is. We might just have to talk to Alex."

Simon's face was stone cold. "Well, we don't have to tell him everything, then," he said, and in a swift motion, he swiped the keyboard away from me and began typing.

"Simon!" I screeched. "What are you doing!?"

But he'd already finished the sentence.

Me: Sure. I'll tell you. Let's meet up somewhere, sound good?

"No!" I snatched the keyboard away from him. "We can't! This is crazy! We don't even know this guy!"

Tyler Marvin: ya. sounds good. where do u live? i live on arcadia road its by winco. we can meet somewhere by there

"No! We are not doing this!" I started typing up some excuse, but Simon pulled my hands off the keyboard. His expression startled me into silence. He was absolutely serious. "S-S-Simon," I tried to say.

"We're going to do this," he said. "It's a big lead and it's going to save lives."
♠ ♠ ♠
It kills my brain cells to read over this.
It's one of my biggest pet peeves when people misspell or shorten words. I was grading someone's test in health class the other day and they spelled 'colorful' like 'collerful'. It hurt me on the inside.