Status: Critique greatly appreciated, nitpickers welcome! Don't be a silent reader!

The Key Chased the Blade

Rooster

Simon parked the car and we all got out. I felt unnerved, but I didn't show it. Simon was stabbed here. That thought nagged at me and made me jittery. It seemed to be making Simon more uncomfortable, though.

We were probably a block away from his house in a field that once had a building on it. The only thing there was a tree stump and some grass that was frosted over. Simon wandered around until he found what he was looking for. "I was attacked here." He pointed. "But look. There's still that dead rooster here."

I felt bile rise in my throat so suddenly I almost wretched it all out. I managed to choke it back. The twins and I moved to where Simon was indicating and looked. Just like the picture, the was a half-frozen, twisted, maimed rooster lying in the ice. "Jesus," I said.

"All the other birds are gone," Alex noted. "Why leave this one?"

"Maybe the guy didn't have enough room to take it," Tyler suggested.

None of us said anything for a while. Though I knew without having Simon say anything what he was thinking.

"I don't think this was a mistake," Simon said finally. "I think this is a warning. I think the murderer knows we're onto them."
♠ ♠ ♠
Happy Easter. :)

I ate so much ham I'm about to explode.