Status: Critique greatly appreciated, nitpickers welcome! Don't be a silent reader!

The Key Chased the Blade

Payphone

Simon and I started driving back to his house. I was still really jittery for some reason so I told Simon I wanted some coffee. He said he needed some too. But instead of going directly back home, we made a detour to Dutch Bros. I was going to complain about how I didn't have any money, but I was too tired and just let Simon win the argument when he said he was going to pay for it.

We were waiting in the lineup when my cell phone buzzed. I thought it was Rico or Dad, but it was some number I didn't know. It couldn't have been Tyler either. I only had his number.

I answered it. "Noah?" someone asked.

At first I didn't recognize the voice; it was scratchy and hoarse. Simon gave me a "who is it?" look but I really didn't know what to give him back. "Yeah?" I said. "Who is this?"

There was some chuckling on the other end. "Noah, it's me, John."

My blood ran cold.

I spewed out profanities. "Where the hell are you? What phone are you calling on? What the hell is going on? You goddamn idiot of a brother, why didn't you call me-"

"Noah, be quiet, I don't have a lot of time," John cut me off. Simon snapped his head around and looked at me, wide-eyed. "I'm on a payphone," my brother said. "I just needed to tell you this-"

"What do you mean a payphone!" I exploded. "Tell me what's going on!" I bellowed more cuss words.

"I was getting to that! Just hold on for a moment! I don't have any more quarters to call you again!"

Simon put a hand on my arm and I forced myself to shut up. John's breathing was short and quick in the receiver. He sounded like he'd been running. "I just wanted to tell you I love you," he said. "And I want you to tell Dad, Logan, and Rico I love them too. Did you get that?"

"Yes, I got that." My heart was pounding in my ears and it felt like my whole entire body was shaking. "I love you too. What's going on? Are you hurt? Where are you?"

"I can't tell you. Just don't worry, okay? I can't come home either. But just know that I didn't murder Sadie. I didn't murder her."

"John, where are you?" I could barely hold the phone anymore. "Where are you?"

"I can't tell you." There was jostling on the other end. "God. I have to go. Tell everyone I love them okay? I have to go. Bye Noah."

"John, no!" I shouted, but the line went dead. I lost it. I let out a strangled scream and slammed my fists into the dashboard. The phone flew out of my hand and probably fell under the seat somewhere. I pounded on the dash until Simon's glove department unhooked and all his stuff fell out. I couldn't even stop. Simon was saying something but I couldn't understand him. I was only aware of the car swerving out of the Dutch Bros line and it shook me back into my seat. Simon tried to get my attention again.

"What was the number?" Simon asked frantically. "What was the number? I can find it on my phone's Internet. We can find John if we're quick."

"Jesus Christ!" I unhooked my seatbelt and dove under the seat to find my phone. I nearly dropped it and fumbled to open it up. "I've got it," I gasped. "It's this." I recited the numbers as fast as I could.

Simon pulled out his phone and typed it into the Google search bar. I pulled myself back into my seat and jammed my seatbelt back in. Simon said, "I know where he's at. He's on Elysium Avenue. It's across town, but it shouldn't take that long."

"Let's just go then!"

But Simon didn't need my panicked shrieking. He stepped on the gas and we pulled out of there in a squeal of tires.
♠ ♠ ♠
Someone close to me lives on Elysium Avenue. I won't tell you guys who though 'cause I'm paranoid. I'm so terrible with creating place names. xD