Status: Critique greatly appreciated, nitpickers welcome! Don't be a silent reader!

The Key Chased the Blade

Nap

Simon guided me down to the kitchen and set me down in a chair. He started on the coffee. Then he asked me what happened. I told him and he flinched at the part where I told him John hit me. I felt bad, but I also felt kind of numb. I was worried my brain was going to cut out on me again.

"Oh wait!" I realized. "I still have to text Alex and Tyler our numbers."

"Let's do that later," Simon said. His voice was gentle, like he was talking to a child. It pissed me off but I didn't say anything. "Are you feeling alright?"

"No," I said flatly. "My head hurts and I'm tired. When is the coffee going to be done?"

"In a while. You have to be patient."

"Whatever," I huffed. I waited as Simon shuffled around with some things, left for a brief moment, and returned with his notepad. He sat down at the table across from me and jotted a bunch of things down.

"I'm thinking John might've went to Rhode's house when he ran away," Simon said. "My assumption would be she got mad at him once she found out that he was a suspect for murder."

"I'd think that too."

"Let's not get focused on that, though. Do you know where Rhode lives? We need to ask her if she has any clue where John went."

"I don't know. We could always Facebook stalk her."

"True. You sure you're feeling alright, Noah?"

Simon looked really concerned. I looked away. "I'm fine, really."

"You wanna lie down or something?"

My head and nose throbbed. "Sure. Okay. I'll take a power-nap on the couch. I'll be up by the coffee is done." I stood up and headed toward the couch without looking at him. He said something I couldn't hear, but I didn't ask about it. I slumped down on the plush sofa and shut my eyes.

The last thing I heard was the coffee gurgling in the machine.