Status: Critique greatly appreciated, nitpickers welcome! Don't be a silent reader!

The Key Chased the Blade

News

Noah, check the news. Now. It's important.

I closed my phone, swallowed, and I made my way to the living room and turned on the TV.

"Noah, what are you doing?" Dad asked. I didn't answer. I focused on the black screen coming to life, turned up the volume, and then I clicked the channel button until I found the news. Some lady was in the middle of talking. She was saying something that I glued all my senses to.

"Noah, it's late, you have school tomorrow," Dad said, but I hissed at him to be quiet and my eyes searched the screen. The lady continued to talk. Dad kind of huffed, but I ignored him. I was going to get hell for doing that later, but now I couldn't have cared less.

"...recently policemen have found the dead body of Sadie Amala, a girl whom had gone missing a week ago from Siuslaw High School. Reports on how she died are still unclear, but it appears that she was beaten and thrown under Jefferson Bridge and..."

Then the TV muted. I glared back and saw Dad with the remote in his hand, looking angry and tired.

"Noah, don't listen to the news, it's full of shit." Dad's eyes bored holes into me. "It's time for you to go to bed."

I didn't say anything, I just glared daggers back at him. Though eventually after staring each other down, I got up and left the room.

But not before seeing the picture of Sadie Amala's dead body on the screen with her bloody Abercrombie and Fitch sweatshirt with the hole in the pocket.

I ended up going straight to the bathroom and puked up all that nasty taco salad I'd eaten for dinner.

Then I went back to my room and called Simon.
♠ ♠ ♠
These are actually real places, but are completely unrelated to each other in real life. I just took particular addresses and things that stuck out to me. They really have no meaning.

Yeah, it's actually pretty nice to write short chapters. It's easier to get them out faster and I can take it a scene at a time. I have this other story who's chapters are on average 3,000 words long and it takes me a week to write them. (I write super slow anyway, but yeah.) Those ones have multiple scenes in them. And yup. Done rambling.