Status: Critique greatly appreciated, nitpickers welcome! Don't be a silent reader!

The Key Chased the Blade

Funeral

There were a ton more people than I expected.

The sky was as grey as slate and threatened to dump rain on us. People held their black umbrellas close to them and gave my dad and Rico their condolences. Logan was sobbing in my arms. I was just glad I wasn't the one to break the news to him, but I still wanted to break down instead of deal with the aftermath.

I asked, "Do you want to play the Xbox when we get home?"

He only cried harder. "No," he said. "I don't think I could."

I didn't say anything else after that.

The funeral service went by in a blur, but mainly because I avoided everything, sat in a corner in the cemetery on top of someone's gravestone, and didn't look at anyone. I didn't cry. Logan kept crying, and I just petted his back but that didn't seem to do much. After a while Rico came and got him. He asked if I was alright. I shook my head and he just gave me a hug and left. I sat there alone for a while, and thankfully no one came over and talked to me. At least no one that I didn't know.

"Noah, hey."

I looked up. It was Simon. I just stared at him straight in the face and stood up, and my mouth wouldn't move to say anything. Simon looked at me back with such gentleness, it would've made me cry if I could. Then he held up his hand.

Come here.

We connected. I stood up and he hugged me so tightly I didn't feel like I was missing someone anymore. When we finally pulled apart, it felt as if something ripped off of me and left my heart torn. It was like I couldn't let go of him. I grasped onto his coat and he just steadied me. Then I pressed my forehead into his stupid white dress shirt. I couldn't cry even then. This was killing me.

"Noah?"

I looked up. The voice wasn't Simon's. It was Alex.

I felt the tears in my throat, but they wouldn't come out. "Screw it," I said. Alex's face only was sorrowful. "Screw this. I'm done. I'm leaving now."

I shoved Simon away and ran off. It started out as a normal run, but it became a full-out sprint in a couple of seconds.

And I didn't know if I wanted someone to follow or not.
♠ ♠ ♠
This kind of has nothing to do with my story at all, but hey, I'm going to prom tomorrow. Thought I should give a preview on my dress here. Obviously that isn't me in the dress, but ah well.

Maybe I'll post a picture of me in it with my date later. I'm not too into posting pictures of myself, but I might as well.

Btw, sorry for not updating. It's been a tough week.