Status: Critique greatly appreciated, nitpickers welcome! Don't be a silent reader!

The Key Chased the Blade

Park

I called Simon another three times and he still didn't pick up. Alex drove over to his house and I flew out the door before he could even park. I bolted up to his door and knocked. His mother answered.

"Is Simon home?" I panted.

She looked at me strangely. "No, he said he was going to take a walk. He wasn't feeling too well."

"Do you know where he went?"

"He said he'd circle around the block and come back. You could stay here for a bit and wait if you'd like."

"No, it's fine, thank you." I nodded swiftly. "I'll be seeing you, bye!"

I booked it away before she could say anything more.

I dove into the passenger's seat of Alex's car. "He's not home."

"Huh?" Alex looked at me. His hands were already on the wheel.

"He's not home," I said. "His mom said he should be around the block somewhere. He went for a walk. Let's go."

"Gotcha. I'm on it." Then we revved into the street.

I kept my eyes on the road and called Simon once more. He still didn't answer. At this point he must've either not had his phone on him or had it on silent. Anybody in their right mind would pick up after the amount of calls I sent him. I swore under my breath and shoved my phone into my pocket.

"Wait, who's that?" Alex asked. I looked over. We were passing by the park and I saw someone in a long black dress on the swing-set. It was Rhode. Panic stabbed me in the chest. "I thought I saw her at the funeral."

"It's Rhode. I thought she would still be there," I said numbly. "Can you stop?"

"Sure." Alex pulled over and parked and I unbuckled my seatbelt. "What are you going to do?"

"I'm going to talk to her." I was actually going to get her the hell outta there. Jesus Christ, the murderer was probably skulking around waiting for me to show up and drop off my key. Rhode could get hurt. Especially now that I knew what was happening to her. "Can you stay in here?" I asked Alex.

Alex frowned, and he reached out and put a hand on my arm. At any other moment I probably would have blushed or gotten butterflies, but I was too terrified now to feel a thing. "I'll be right here," he said.

"Okay." Then I exited the car and made my way toward the swing-set.