Bread and Water

it’s time to begin, isn’t it?

The scene around them was gorgeous. Harrison had taken Lily to a small clearing nestled away in the nearby forest. The ground beneath them was damp because of the previous day’s rain, and the drops of water on the tree leaves still glistened in the sunlight. In the center of the clearing lay a lavish quilt and a large picnic basket.

Lily gasped when the clearing came into view, exclaiming with delight, “This is gorgeous, Harrison.” She still reveled in the opportunity to speak his name without Prince before it.

Harrison’s smile was smug. “I knew you would enjoy it. You always seem happiest when food is involved,” he teased.

The blush that appeared on her face was intense. It clearly revealed how much she was enjoying this, and it bothered her that she was so easy to read.

The two of them sat down on the quilt, enjoying their meal of finger sandwiches, creamy potato salad, and a fresh homemade apple pie.

Once they were done, Harrison took Lily’s hand and started tracing designs on it. She looked up to examine his face. He seemed frustrated, which was unusual for him. He was usually so arrogant and sure of himself.

“Are you okay?” she asked tentatively.

He was silent for only a second more before flashing a smile at her. “Never better. In fact… I have something to ask you.”

She returned his smile. “Anything. What is it?”

Harrison reached into the picnic basket and pulled out a small jewelry box. Lily’s eyes widened at the sight of it. And when she saw him get down on one knee, her heart began to hammer with such force it was a wonder he couldn’t hear it.

“Lily Holbrook, will you do me the honor of becoming my wife?”
♠ ♠ ♠
“I don't ever want to let you down. I don't ever want to leave this town.”
- Imagine Dragons, It’s Time

Hence the chapter title, now the story really begins.
Thank you the lumineers for your lovely comment!