Bread and Water

i'm losing my mind

“What are you still doing here?!”

Lily sighed from her spot at the window seat, setting down the book she had been reading. She had been expecting her father to come in at any moment. She was disobeying orders, after all.

The girl looked up to face her father. He gazed at her angrily, his muddy brown eyes drilling holes into her own light brown ones. His fists were clenched at the sides of his work pants. He said nothing else, obviously waiting for her answer.

“Father, I do not wish to go to the gala,” she pleaded, knowing it would do nothing to change his decision.

“Lily, we’ve talked about this time and time again,” he said wearily, his anger quickly fading. His fists unclenched, and he moved to take a seat on her freshly-made bed. She went to sit beside him.

She almost didn’t care that his work pants had scuffed the crisp white sheets of her bed with dirt. If she could just persuade him to let her stay home and do something more worthwhile, like cleaning, all would be well. She would have done anything not to go to this party.

Any other girl would have killed to attend the royal ball held every year by the king and his family. Truth be told, Lily would have loved to go in any other situation but this one.

To her, being forced to go just proved that she had no say in her future.
♠ ♠ ♠
"I'm waiting for this cough syrup to come down."
Young the Giant, Cough Syrup