Bread and Water

why can't this crazy love be mine?

Lily had a lot to live up to.

Both of her parents had previously been peasants. After they married, her father realized he had a knack for crafting weapons of all sorts: swords, scythes, spears, and so on. His work became so famous that it earned the attention of the royal army. They began to place all their orders with him, and he started earning enough money to be considered upper-class. He purchased his family a three-story mansion, as well as a comfortable carriage with benches of satin instead of wood.

Lily’s mother became famous in her own right. She was a healer, and a great one at that. Her medical remedies were proven to be more successful than anyone else’s, so she proceeded to open her own apothecary. People from all over the kingdom started to visit her for all their health needs.

By the time Lily was born, her parents were already very well-off. She never had to experience the “peasant life,” never had to work hard hours in the harsh sun for her food, and never had to wear the itchy brown clothing she saw so many sporting. She was only ever rich.

Her parents never wanted her to go through the pains of peasantry. Her father wanted to ensure that long after he departed from this earth, his daughter would remain in society’s favor. So he had managed to snag her an invitation to this year’s royal ball.

The only problem was that she didn’t want to do any of it. She didn’t want to be forced to marry someone just because they had money. She wanted to be free to fall in love with whoever her heart deemed worthy.

Lily feared she would never obtain this luxury. She may have been rich, but the freedom to fall in love was one thing she didn’t have. One thing she would never have.
♠ ♠ ♠
"It's not unusual to go out at any time, but when I see you out and about, it's such a crime."
Tom Jones, It's Not Unusual