Bread and Water

all of your dreams are on their way

Lily hurried up the steps to the castle, holding the skirts of her dress aloft to avoid tripping over them.

It was already 7 o’ clock. The sun had just made its way down the horizon, casting the sky with a dark purple glow. If she didn’t hurry, she would be even later than she already was. Her father wouldn’t be happy if she didn’t make a good impression from the start.

A guard stopped her at the enormous entrance to the castle and asked for her invitation. As he inspected it, she studied the wide double doors that led inside. She had seen them before but had never been close enough to notice the fine detail. The two double doors towered over both of their heads, red with embroidered golden designs across the entire structure. In the very center of each door was a golden dove, the symbol of the kingdom.

Lily was startled from her reverie by the guard, who had already proved that her invitation was legit. He nodded, and she continued to run past him. Fancy signs showed her the way to the ballroom. She had never been so grateful to follow directions.

At last, she reached another set of double doors, this one much smaller than the entrance and colored a deep blue instead of red. A servant was standing on either side of the doors, waiting to open them for her.

Lily took a few moments to catch her breath before nodding to the two servants. They slowly opened the doors, and she walked inside.
♠ ♠ ♠
"Your time has come to shine."
Aretha Franklin, Bridge Over Troubled Water