Civil Combustion

African Americans to Fight in the War: a Southern Reaction

The Northern states have recently released a notice that African Americans are now allowed, and even encouraged, to fight for their country. As a Northern soldier stated, "'This war is fought to preserve the union, not to abolish slavery. There is no reason for African Americans not to fight, and we certainly could use all the help we can get." Other soldiers readily shared their views on this subject, all of which correspond with the previous statement.

Before African Americans were permitted to fight in the war, they served as cooks and laborers to those in higher positions than them; this essentially has not changed, as they are still beneath most. Indeed, they are paid three dollars less a month for providing their services to the army than the white soldiers. In addition to this, all units are strictly segregated- the 54th Massachusetts is the most known African American unit of the war.

Although most Northerners are apt to support the transition of giving African Americans the right to fight in the war, the majority of the South disagrees. As one South Carolinian declared, "Those blacks are worth for nothing other than physical labor. You can't give them any rights; they'll just want more and more! It's absurd to think that these creatures fight alongside our white men."

This individual is not the only one with this opinion, though there are certainly some who have differing views: a resident of Georgia supplies, "Blacks ought to fight; have them die instead of us. They follow orders better than some of the men out there, and they sure are faithful to their masters."