Civil Combustion

Strategies of the War: North and South Plan Ahead

Northerners and Southerners alike have recognized the eed for strategy in this war and have taken action in doing so. Several scouts have reported that perhaps their strategies are not so different after all, pointing out that although there are several differences, some points do coincide.

The Union's strategy to defeat the South was established in 1861, being officially known as the Anaconda Plan (Scott's Great Snake). In addition to this the troops have taken three other routes in hopes of reinforcing their previous concept. First and foremost they plan to capture Richmond. In seizing the Mississippi they hope to split the Confederacy in half, further weakening their will and force. The Union hopes to place a naval blockade at Southern Ports so as to prevent the exchange of goods and to take down naval ships in case there is a need for this.

On the Southern side, generals have been planning as well. Their main stance is to fight a defensive war, as all they essentially want is to peacefully establish a new nation. Even through this, they hoped to gain European recognition- particularly by France and Great Britain. Great Britain immediately refused to recognize the Union as they had just freed their slaves and thus felt it to be wrong to support a slave nation. France eventually refused to recognize them as well. Further strategies include the capture of Washington, D.C., so as to weaken the North's will to fight. The South also hoped to make the addition of Maryland into the Confederacy, further increasing their power.

Both sides- North and South- have strategies worthy of though to the opposing side's generals; it will be a close call if each point is initiated successfully. In fact, it is predicted that this war will gain interest through these actions.