Status: A story in progress, I hope you enjoy

Breaking Free

Chapter 18

Jackson and I wake up the next morning with Debra standing over the bed.
"What is going on here?" she demands.
"Huh?" Jackson asks stretching his arms up over his head, pulling one out from under my head.
"Bed, together. What is going on?"
"Oh, uh, Lina had a nightmare and I laid with her until she fell asleep, I guess I fell asleep too," Jackson explains. "It's nothing like that mom, don't worry."
My stomach drops at his words, apparently he doesn't feel the same way about me as I do him. That gives me a sinking feeling and I try to pretend like it doesn't bother me.
"Lina, are you okay?" Debra asks.
"I'm fine," I put on a fake smile.
"Okay," Debra eyes me suspiciously.
"I think it's just leftover feelings from the nightmare," I assure her.
"That would make sense," she says, her mood lightening up a little. "You have no idea the things that went through my mind when I walked in here and saw the two of you in bed together."
Shit. I think, this means she wouldn't be okay with Jackson and I being more than what we are already.
I shake the feelings for Jackson off and try to pretend like there is nothing more there.
Jackson goes to the dresser and grabs a change of clothes and goes to the bathroom to change while I change in the bedroom to get ready for school.
I choose my outfit, a purple tank top and a pair of fitted jeans. I tied my hair up in a pony tail and grabbed my backpack before heading down the stairs.
I sit down at the kitchen table with everyone and Jack and Debra have a look on their faces like they're hiding something.
"What's going on?" Jackson asks.
"We have a surprise for Lina,"
"Another one?" I ask happily.
"Yes, another one. We figure it's about time you get your first cellphone," Jack says.
"Really?" I ask brightly.
Debra pulls a box off of the counter and hands it to me. Inside is a shiny new, iPhone 4.
"And we got you this," she says handing me an Otter Box to go with the phone, "it'll keep your phone from being broken as easily if you drop it."
"That's really good to know!" I exclaim pulling the phone out of the box.
"It's already activated and I've programed all of our numbers in it," Jack says.
"Thank you so much!" I say happily with tears in my eyes.
"Why are you crying?" Jackson asks.
"I'm just so happy!" I cry out hugging him and then getting up to hug Debra and Jack for the gifts that they've bestowed on me.
"You're welcome," Debra whispers to me when I hug her.
I jump a little in place with excitement trying to shake the tears off.
"You are the most excitable person I know," Jack laughs.
"Thank you guys, so much, I really mean it," I say shedding a few tears.
"Aww, don't cry!" Debra says fanning her eyes to try and dry the sheen of tears that have formed in them.
"I can't help it," I laugh through my tears.
"You're going to make me cry," she says with a giggle.
"I'm sorry," I laugh a little more.
"Don't be sorry!" she exclaims before wrapping me in another hug.
"I've never seen someone get so excited over a phone before," Charlie says rolling his eyes with a laugh.
"You guys just don't see it, this is the most anyone has ever done for me! I've never had such nice things and you guys are the closest I've ever had to a family!" I exclaim while more tears stream down my face.