Status: Completed =^_^=

The Heart of the Hearth

Chapter Four

I stormed down the hill of Mount Olympus. I needed to get some fresh air. The kind of air that I wasn’t going to get with some stuffy immortals. I looked down at the city below. Athens.

“I might as well begin my duties as goddess of the hearth.” I grumbled as I closed my eyes. I felt a warm energy swell inside me. My feet left the ground. But as soon as the feeling appeared, it disappeared. I opened my eyes to see myself standing in a vacant field of wildflowers. A gentle breeze began to blow. I took a deep breath before sighing out in relief.

“This is exactly what I needed.” I smiled.

I turned my gaze, seeing a city behind me. It stood tall. Buildings shine white in the early afternoon sun. Large structures of marble standing against the horizon.

“Athens.” I said as I walked toward the city. “I can start my duties here.”

It took me little time to get to the city limits. People bustled past me as they hurried along in their everyday chores. I strolled through the crowd, looking for my first sign of a fire. After a good walk, I laid eyes on my first flame. A large bowl of fire was burning in the center of the wide street. I walked over to the blaze, staring into the bowl. I watched the flames dance. A smile crossed my face. I love to watch fire dance and play, but never run wild.

“It’s beautiful, isn’t it?” A voice spoke to my left.

I jumped a little as I looked over. A guy in his late teens stood next to me, eyes on the fire.

“Oh, I’m sorry if I startled you.” He said. “I didn’t mean to.”

I sighed a little, “It’s alright.”

“My name’s Aster. I haven’t seen you around here before.”

I thought for a moment. Was it safe to tell him my real name? I mean, I’m a goddess and he is a mortal.

“I am Hestia. I just arrived in the city.” I smiled.

He smiled back. “Well it is an honor to meet you, Hestia.”

He gave a little theatrical bow as he said it. I chuckled at him. He was a very amusing person.

“Seeing as you are new to our fair city, I see it only fit that I show you around.” Aster said as he held out his hand. I smiled, placing my hand on his.

“I would like that.”

He led me through the streets of Athens, pointing out places that he knew and had heard of. As we walked along, I took notes of the locations of some of the public fires.

“There is one thing that I haven’t showed you yet.” Aster said as he looked at me. “But I’m afraid that it will have to wait till tomorrow. I have some things that I must attend to.” He gave another little bow.

“It’s fine.”

“I can finish showing you around the city tomorrow, if you wish.”

“I would like that.” I smiled.

He smiled widely. “I looked forward to tomorrow then.” I walked as he walked away smiling. I was smiling too. Aster was a great guy. But why did he have to be mortal. I sighed. Maybe that was it. Maybe it was because he was not immortal that I liked him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it took so long guys. Hoping to finish before month is out. Hope you enjoy =^_^=

Updated 8-31-12: Found a istake and had to fix it. Love - Kiki