Status: Completed =^_^=

The Heart of the Hearth

Chapter Seven

All I could do was smile. I felt as if my life was complete. I waved good-bye to Aster as I walked toward the field outside of the city, elated with the promise of seeing him tomorrow.

My smile was still there when I teleported back to Olympus. I was sure that nothing could spoil my happiness as I stepped inside.

“Hestia!” The hall quaked as my name was yelled.

From where I stood, I could clearly see the double doors that lead to the meeting room. Standing in the doorway was an infuriated Zeus. He looked directly at me with piercing eyes.

“Come here.” He spoke sternly with just enough volume for me to hear his words.

I walked forward, trying to avoid Zeus’s gaze. It felt as if he could see through me. I stopped when I stood before him.

“Please join me.” As he spoke, he entered the meeting room. I followed, stopping a few steps inside the doors.

“Close the doors.”

I listened to him immediately, turning and pulling the two doors closed. I paused as I began to turn around.

‘Why am I acting like this?’ I wondered, ‘I don’t even agree with Zeus’s position in power.’

I completed my turn, looking to my younger brother. He was standing in front of the windows, looking outside.

“You have been visiting with a mortal male.” I knew what he was saying. “I saw the two of you together today.”

“It is nothing, brother.”

“Is it now?” Zeus turned to look at me questioningly.

“Yes.” I tried to convince him. “I am only doing it to seem normal around the mortals.”

“Oh…so I suppose that you falling for the boy is part of your plan top seem normal?”

My eyes widened. He knew. He knew what had happened in the library.

“It’s none of your concern, little brother.”

I watched Zeus’s eyes grow dark. I could see him grinding his teeth.

“Whether you are older or not is not the matter! The matter is that you are an immortal and he is mortal. As king, it is my duty to prevent the endangerment of the mortals learning the appearances of us immortals!” Zeus yelled. I flinched at the force of his words.

“I don’t care if you are king, queen, or the jester! It is none of your concern!”

Zeus’s mood grew worse at my words. His anger visible as his face reddened with rage.

“It is my concern!” His voice boomed, shaking the room. “As king, I forbid your relationship with the mortal male! That is final!”

“I don’t’ care!” I screamed as I quickly turned from the meeting room. I swiftly headed toward the stairs. Breezing passed someone, I’m not sure who. I quickly climbed the stairs before storming in my room. I grabbed a pillow from my bed and launched it across my room.

“Urrrrrgh!” I growled. “This isn’t fair!”

I stomped over to my window. Athens looked the same as it always did.

“Hestia?” There was a knock at the door. “Can I come in?”

“Yes.” I spoke, not turning from the window.

I listened to my door squeak as it was opened. Footsteps sounded through my room as the person grew closer.

“What’s wrong, sis?” Poseidon asked.

I began to open my mouth, but I couldn’t say it. I couldn’t bring myself to say the words. My lips quivered as I tried to force back my tears.

“Hestia?”

I couldn’t say it. I knew that I couldn’t. I loved Aster. I didn’t want to say that we couldn’t be together. I just couldn’t.

“Hestia?” Poseidon spoke gently. “I can’t help if I don’t tell me what is wrong.”

I turned to face him. His eyes looked at me softly as a tear escaped from my eye.

“What did Zeus say?”

I looked at Poseidon for a moment, trying to think off how to say it. I don’t think Poseidon would exactly agree with me loving a mortal either. More tears fell from my eyes.

“Hestia…” Concern coated my name as Poseidon spoke. “You can tell me.”

“I’m in love with a mortal!” I closed my eyes as I spat the words out quickly. I held my eyes closed. I didn’t want to see the disappointment in his eyes.

My eyes shot open as I felt a pair of arms wrap around me. I stared at his sea-colored robes as the tars formed in my eyes.

“Shhh…It’s okay.” Poseidon hushed me as he rubbed my back. “I’m here.”

I threw my arms around my brother as I buried my tears in his chest.
♠ ♠ ♠
As usual, Zeus is being mean and Poseidon comes to rescue. Hope you all like it. =^_^=