Because I Want You

Chapter 2

I found myself standing on Steve's porch. It had started raining when I was about half way here. I hadn't planned on coming to Steve's house, but I knew he wouldn't mind. I rang the doorbell furiously, seeing as I was cold and wet, and definitely in need of a hug. I felt pathetic. I waited for what seemed like ten minutes before he answered, his eyes sleepy, still in his pajamas. “Brian? What are you doing here?” I looked at him, my eyes red and puffy from crying. “Is it Stef?” I nodded. He sighed, and moved aside to let me in.
I stood in the hall, not wanting to track water everywhere. He handed me a towel, and a large blanket. I tried my best to smile at him, grateful for the warmth he was providing me with. I dried off, then wrapped the blanket around my body sitting myself down on the couch. He sat next to me. “Tell me Bri, what did he do now?” I sniffled a little, before telling him all about how Stefan had promised to come home early, but instead returned this morning drunk, and about the fight we had. “He really said that?”, he asked when I told him what Stef said to me before I bolted out the door. “Yes.” Steve shook his head. “I can't believe him. Bri, Don't listen to him. He was drunk and didn't know what he was saying.”
I wanted to believe him, I really did. But something about they way Stefan had talked to me made me believe otherwise. I started crying again, sobbing quietly. He wrapped me up in a friendly hug. “Its alright Bri, Things will get better.” I sure hoped he was right. The sake of our band depended on it. I stayed on the couch in Steve's arms, eventually drifting off.
I don't know how long I was out, but when I finally woke up, Steve was no longer with me on the couch. I stretched and yawned before getting up off the couch and stumbling sleepily into the kitchen. Steve was sitting at the table, drinking some coffee. “Hey sleepy head. Have a nice nap?” I nodded and joined him at the table. He got up and got me some coffee, handing me the mug filled with warm liquid. I sat there, just enjoying the silence and the feeling of the coffee spilling down my throat and into my stomach.
“How long was I out?” “About Five hours.” My eyes widened. “Really? I slept that long?” “Sure did. Its already five.” Now I know I was tired. It was getting late already. I didn't want to go home. I knew he would probably still be there. “Steve, can I stay with you tonight?” “Brian, you have to face him eventually.” “I know, I;m just not ready. I don't have enough energy for it tonight.” “Alright, you can stay here. But just tonight.” “You're the best Steve.”
For the rest of the night, Steve and I watched movies together. That is, until I passed out on the couch around twelve in the morning. “Bri, wake up.” I opened one eye half way. “Come on Brian, if you're tired then go to bed.” “But that means I have to get up and walk upstairs to the guest bedroom.”, I complained. “Well you don't have to move, you can sleep on the couch if you like. I just thought you'd want to sleep in an actual bed.” He had a point. And I didn't want to spend the night on the couch. “Oh okay, I'll go upstairs.” I got up and walked my way over to the stairs. “Good night Bri.” Night Steve.” I barley made it to the bed before I was sleeping again.