‹ Prequel: Trust Me
Status: In progress.

Fall Away

Chapter 01

Rich golden sand beamed all around me, burning in the hot sun. I stood on a silver platform, surrounded by other tributes. No, not just tributes; victors. Bloodthirsty victors who knew what it took to win and who were more than willing to do every gruesome deed necessary to come out victorious yet again.

“58…57…56…” The voice started counting down, echoing throughout the arena. I caught Adri’s gaze, and I knew what I had to do. I couldn’t let him suffer.

“I’m sorry, Adri.” I mouthed. His eyes widened as he realized what I was about to do, but he couldn’t stop me. I took a step off the platform and heard a soft click as the landmine below my feet activated, ready to blow me to pieces.

“Winnie. Winnie. Winnie!” A sharp hiss broke through my dreams, waking me.

“What is it?” I shot up, blinking quickly to try and wake myself up.

A pillow smacked me in the face. “Don’t you dare,” Adri snapped.

“Don’t I dare what?” I grumbled, confused. I grabbed the pillow and tried to hit him back with it, though in my groggy state I missed by a mile.

“You know exactly what I’m talking about. You were talking in your sleep.” He said, his voice low and angry.

I tried to recall the dream I’d been having, and I winced as it came back to me, piece by piece. “Oh,” I said simply.

“Don’t tell me that was an actual idea of yours.” He said coldly. “You honestly thought it would be a good idea to get yourself blown up by the landmines so I wouldn’t have to worry about you?”

“I refuse to answer that question without a lawyer present.” I muttered, pulling the covers back over my body and trying to fall asleep before Adri could reply.

Adri rolled his eyes and grimaced. “You’re an idiot.” He grumbled.

“Love you too,” I said sarcastically.

He sighed. “I didn’t mean it that way.”

“Yes you did, but it’s fine.” I said, staring at a loose thread in the covers.

Adri sighed and I felt his weight shift as he got out of bed. “Are you going to get up?”

“No.” I said simply. I knew what the day would bring, and I was in no hurry to greet said events.

The covers were ripped off me and his hands closed around my ankles. He gave a great pull, yanking me to the edge of the bed so I was barely on the edge of it, my back still on the mattress but my legs hovering in the air.

“What was that?” He challenged, giving me a grin as he saw my wide-eyed terror-stricken expression.

“On second thought, I’ve had a change of heart. I should greet the day.” I murmured.

“Good to hear.”

“By the way, consider yourself lucky you didn’t drop me when you pulled that little stunt.” I grumbled, pulling my ankles out of his grip and getting to my feet.

“Why? Would you have made me feel your wrath if I had dropped you?” He challenged, a smirk on his face.

“Hell yes.” I quickly changed into the clothes I’d chosen specifically for today, leaving my pajamas in a crinkled heap on the floor. I wouldn’t have to worry about the state of this place for much longer anyway, so what was the point in cleaning?

“How very ladylike of you.” Adri said, a teasing grin on his face.

“Okay, what is wrong with you?” I demanded, whirling around to face him and giving him a strange look. “We’re leaving to go back to the Capitol today, and you’re making jokes and being happy. It’s disgusting.”

He burst into laughter. “I thought you knew me by now, but apparently I was wrong. My own wife forgets that I take pride in laughing in the face of adversity. Besides, who says I don’t have something up my sleeve?”

“I’ll say it right now; you have nothing up your sleeve. If anything, you’re planning on improvising like a dumb-ass and pulling some stupid stunt in the arena that will just wind up getting us killed.” I grumbled, feeling miserable. Even if, by some miracle, Adri had some genius plan to help us get out of the arena, President Snow would find some way to have us killed after the Games. It was about his pride now, rather than satisfying Panem like it had been before.

“Ye of little faith,” Adri said with a grumble, sounding much less content than he had before. He stepped into the bathroom and closed the door behind him, leaving me to throw a few last-minute additions into my bag. At least this time around, I’d actually have a suitcase full of my own belongings when I left for the Capitol.

He emerged again ten minutes later, freshly shaven and showered, and threw the last of his belongings into his bag before he took a last glance around at the room. “I’ll miss this place for the next two weeks. Won’t you?” He seemed to have cheered up whilst he was in the bathroom, much to my confusion.

“Erm…sure.” I muttered, slinging my bag over my shoulder and starting out the door. He grabbed the handle of my bag and pulled me back, slipping the bag over his shoulder before tossing his own on his other arm. I gave him a strange look.

“Oh, don’t look at me like that. What’s wrong with a little chivalry?” He said with a scoff.

I crinkled my nose. “Fine. What time does our train leave?”

Adri glanced at the clock on the nightstand across the room. “About an hour from now.”

I winced. “Great,” I grumbled sarcastically. “I suppose we’d better get a move on.”

“Don’t act so glum.” He said with a sigh, nudging me through the door and following me through the hall and down the stairs.

“Did you just say ‘glum’?” I made a face.

He rolled his eyes. “Fine, we’ll get going.”

“I think you just said ‘glum’.”

“Way to focus on things of importance.”

“Sorry, am I making you glum?”

I heard him sigh. “Just keep moving and don’t ever say ‘glum’ again.” He paused then added under his breath, “I know I won’t.”

Upon arriving at the train station, I was once again forced to fake a smile at the crowd that had gathered to watch the tributes leave. Many people cheered for Adri enthusiastically, while my reception was rather frosty.

I frowned as I saw a large percentage of the crowd glare at me. A few people even booed and hissed. I kept a smile on my face, though it shrank considerably. We got on the train, and Adri paused at the entrance to wave a final good-bye before he hopped in after me.

“What was that all about?” I murmured. “I mean, I’m not offended that they don’t love me, but I didn’t expect that kind of a send-off.”

“They probably feel strange about cheering for another district’s tribute.” Adri said with a sigh.

I froze. “Oh, right. I know it’s only been two years, but I feel like District 1 is my home.”

“It is your home and you do belong here, but President Snow has listed you as the District 4 tribute rather than a District 1 tribute.” Adri pointed out, taking a seat on one of the plush sofas and gesturing for me to sit next to him.

“Because she’s not a District 1 tribute.” A cold voice purred from the door. I turned around to see who was there, and my stomach dropped as I saw who had spoken.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yay sequel! :) I'm still working on the layout and whatnot -- and I'll probably continue to edit this chapter to death -- but for now, here it is! I can't say when the next chapter will be out as my schedule for the next few weeks is really up in the air, but I will try and work on this as much as I can. It was difficult to start writing again because I had to work on Adri and Winnie's chemistry a bit -- I've only stopped writing it for two weeks and I had already lost my touch with them! D: But I'd like to think I'm getting back in the swing of things.
Comments, recs, and subscriptions are always loved if you can find the time -- it'll help out since this sequel it just in its starting stage. ^^