‹ Prequel: Trust Me
Status: In progress.

Fall Away

Chapter 10

It was torture keeping away from Adri for the rest of the afternoon. Not only had we both decided to stay away from each other in the training area so we didn’t look too clingy, but I also knew that if I tried to speak to Adri now, I’d accidentally blurt out everything Finnick had told me (though, in fairness, he hadn’t really told me much). Instead, all I could do was watch as he and Cashmere gave each other advice on working with different stations; he gave her tips on working with machetes, she helped him with his archery, et cetera. It was driving me insane; even if he was in an alliance with her, why would you give your allies weapon tips? It’s like he was telling her the perfect technique to stab him in the back when he was sleeping.

“You look very irritated,” Finnick noted casually, walking up behind me with his beloved trident in his hand. It looked like they’d placed it in the arena especially for him – there wasn’t a soul in the Capitol who didn’t know about the handsome boy from District 4 who had won with his magnificent golden Trident a few years ago.

“That’s because I am very irritated.” I grumbled, grabbing another knife out of the stand and flinging it at the target, hitting another perfect bulls-eye.

“Oh, I’m good. I got it right on the first try,” He grinned.

I glowered up at him and threw my knife again, more enthusiastically this time. Another bulls-eye.

He held his hands up in mock-surrender. “Okay, hint taken.” He muttered, leaning against the weapons rack and casting a casual glance over at Cashmere and Adri. “I know it looks bad, but you’re the one who was so confident that he wouldn’t leave you. That was just a few hours ago; what’s changed?”

Cashmere let out a girlish giggle, and Adri let out a deep chuckle in response. It sounded like they were flirting, I realized with a grimace. “That’s what’s changed.” I said, pointing the knife over my shoulder at them.

“It’s rude to point.” Finnick said. “Especially with a deadly weapon,”

“Yes, heaven forbid I should be rude to the girl I’m going to have to kill in less than a week.” I said sarcastically.

He crinkled his nose. “You’re rather unpleasant today.”

I sighed and placed the knife back in its slot on the weapons rack. “Sorry, Finnick. I’m just confused right now. This wasn’t how it was supposed to happen. Adri and I were supposed to stay close through all this, no matter what happened.”

“Winnie, these are the Hunger Games. Do you really think you two could stay close through something like this?” Finnick pressed, his tone gentle.

“The last Games we went through together ended with us getting married. Forgive me for being optimistic, but I thought our relationship had been tested enough after that.” I said pointedly.

He sighed and nodded. “Fair enough.”

“What do you think I should do?” I asked suddenly, hoping for a new perspective to my problem.

His eyebrows shot up. “You’re asking me for relationship advice? Me, the guy whose only attempt to ask a girl out ended with her marrying another man and moving to his District shortly after?”

My brows furrowed. “Who…oh, me. Right.” I blushed, feeling stupid.

He smiled, but I could see an edge of bitterness to his expression. “Besides, do you not remember what I told you last year about you being my only real friend? Relationships, platonic or romantic in nature, aren’t exactly my strong suit.”

“But aren’t you the Casanova of the Capitol?” I reminded him.

“That’s an image, Winnie. Besides, one night stands aren’t exactly relationships. Unless you want to sleep with Adri and then desert him – which, seeing as how he’s your husband, I don’t really recommend – then I can’t help you.” He said, laying on the sarcasm.

“Okay, fine! No need to be condescending,” I grumbled, crossing my arms.

He sighed and ran his fingers through his hair. “Look, don’t take him too seriously right now. The Games are all about fake images; you know that. Someone might look like they’re your best friend, but they’re only doing it so they can get in closer to stab you in the back – literally. Remember Jill?”

I shuddered. “Okay, point taken.” I muttered with a grimace, although the image of Adri stabbing Cashmere made me feel considerably better.

“Speaking of points,” Finnick said, grabbing a spear from the weapons rack and running his finger over the tip. A ruby slice of blood broke across his skin under the spearhead, and a slight smile spread across his face. “I should really start practicing with these.” He stuck his bleeding finger in his mouth, licking off the fresh beads of blood without breaking eye contact with me.

“Was that supposed to be seductive?” I said with a laugh.

“You’ve changed so much, Winnie. There were days that just doing that would have had you blushing bright red and squirming in your seat.” Finnick laughed.

“Or maybe you’re losing your touch.” I challenged.

He leaned in close to me, our noses touching. “Don’t push your luck, love,” He whispered, his lips brushing against mine as he spoke. I felt my eyes widen and my stomach twist nervously, and he broke out into laughter as he pulled back. “That expression right there; that’s what I miss the most.” And, without another word, he turned to face the targets and started practicing with a spear, an absent grin on his face.
♠ ♠ ♠
New chapter! :) Sorry it's a bit late, I just got back from holidays and had to get a lot of stuff sorted and blah. But I don't think I'll be too busy over the next few weeks until I have to go back to school, so I should be able to update regularly. I'll work out a schedule later. :3