Recovering

Trenton Woodley

I padded down the stairs in bare feet and pajamas. My hair was doing that lions mane thing it always does in the morning. The second I hit the last stair the noise makers sounded, making my already pounding headache even worse. Layne, Harper, and Troy stood in my kitchen cheering louder than I thought was humanly possible. Birthday decorations hung from every wall. The smell of Layne's signature chocolate chip pancakes wafted into my nose. I wrapped her into a big hug and whispered thank you. Layne handed me a giant cup of coffee as I sat down in front of a towering stack of pancakes.

Birthday breakfasts were a tradition within our little group of friends. Whenever anyone had the honor of finally being one year older the other three would pack into their kitchen and eat Layne's pancakes and be happy. It was a refreshing break from every day life.

And that's how I celebrated my eighteenth birthday. Eating delicious food with my best friend. My mom passed out upstairs from all the depression meds she took everyday. Harper looking at her nails like she didn't care about anything. Troy stuffing his face. Not acknowledging all the empty bottles I knew Layne cleaned up thinking my mom was the alcoholic. Not nagging Layne about her eating habits. A happy little family where nothing ever went wrong.

As I walked down the hall at school everyone wished me a happy birthday. I put on that award winning smile and thanked them. Aside from all that it was just a regular day at school. Sit in class. Take the notes. Make some smart ass comment that makes everyone laugh. Piss off the teacher. Wait for the bell to ring. Walk through the halls with my "friends". Do it all over again.

"What time do you want us to come over for movie night?" Harper asked as we walked to our cars after school.

"Movie night is canceled. Layne's not coming so I'm having a real party. Spread the word."

"You're late again Woodley," my boss said as I bolted through the door. I tied my apron around my waist and ran to the first unhelped table in my section.

"how'sit going today? I'm Trenton and I'll be your server today. Can I get you started with anything to drink?" I ran my spiel on memory. The couple both told me their drink of choice and ordered an appetizer. I nodded and walked back to the kitchen.

"You really have to try to get here on time once in a while," Lexi said, grabbing a plate from behind me.

"The dick keeps scheduling me for impossible times. I literally speed the entire way here every day. You're a lifesaver though."

Lexi and I had been working together since I started here two years ago. She totally wanted me, so she always covered my tables when I was late.

I went about the rest of my shift like usual. At nine on the dot I clocked out. Lexi and I walked to our cars counting our tips. I made $300. Enough to buy groceries for the next two weeks.

"Party at my place tonight. you should stop by," I told Lexi with a wink.

By the time I got home my mom was already gone. Every year on my birthday she stayed with my aunt. This was the resolution to the time she attempted suicide on my fifteenth birthday. She said it's an extra depressing day because it just reminds her of the love she and my dad had. A love so strong her walked out on her. I got over it, but she never really did.

The doorbell rang just as I finished cleaning up.

Party time.
♠ ♠ ♠
It's party time baby. Come back next time for the wild events of Trenton's party. Hope you like it. Feedback is loved.
-Samantha