‹ Prequel: Beautiful Remains
Status: And let the ending begin

To Be Strong

Dean

After the shower, Chase and I joined the rest of the gang out back by the pool. Everyone was enjoying the company, enjoying what little time we may have as a family. Turning the radio on, Shaun stood up and ran to Chase, grabbing his hands and swinging them around to the beat of the music. I smiled, and loved how Chase's smile seemed to truly reach his eyes for once.

I watched the gang, everyone dancing, whether by themselves or with another person, and realized we may hardly ever see each other, but no matter the distance, we were still a family. My eyes landed on Will and Keegan, both of who looked genuinely happy since for the first time since I had last seen them. After a while, my thoughts began to wander.

Flashback

"You're sure you guys want to do this?" I asked, looking at Will and Keegan with a look of worry. Will nodded, looking at Keegan.

"I'll let you two talk alone," he said, looking rather distraught. I felt so bad for Keegan, having to give up everything because of Will. When he was out of hearing range, Will looked at me with tear filled eyes.

"Why must I do this to people, Dean?" he asked, plopping down on the nearest chair and running a hand through his shoulder-length hair. "I fell so hard for Keegan, more so than I ever though possible. I swore he and I would have a gorgeous wedding, adopt a bunch of kids, and live happily ever after."

"There's still a chance for that," I said, sitting down next to him. Will only looked at me, the tears silently falling. "You just got to prove to him that your being together is worth the fight. Look at me and Chase. We've been to hell and back at least a dozen times, and we always came to realize our relationship was worth the pain, worth the fights, everything."

"I've
never hit a person before unless it was a joke or I was playing around," he said, looking at Keegan, who was currently looking at the flight times. "When I hit him out of anger, I immediately regretted it, wished I could take it back."

Before I could respond, Keegan came over to us, a look of sadness upon his face. Their flight wasn't delayed, so I knew it was something personal. Looking at Will, I silently told him to let me talk with Keegan alone. Nodding once ever so slightly, he left and went to the bathroom. "What are your plans?" I asked, causing Keegan to give me the look I've seen Chase wear so many times.

"I don't know," he said, sounding so tired. "I love Will. So much that I'm surprised I haven't dropped dead already. I just ... don't know if it's worth the risk of maybe getting hit again." Keegan slouched in the chair, his head resting against the back.

"He's scared, Keegan," I said, causing him to look at me quickly. "He was in tears when I was talking to him. You have no idea how much he regrets laying a hand on you in anger. He was shaking so bad like he was just pulled out of the Arctic ice. He is so, so scared of losing you."

"So.. this trip isn't to force me to marry him or anything?" Keegan asked, and I shook my head.

"He's trying to save your relationship, and he thinks if there is a chance if he gets you guys away so you can work this out for yourselves," I said, reaching out for Keegan's hand. Grabbing it, Keegan held on tight. "It wasn't spoken, but I know it was there. Will will do anything and everything he can to make up to you, and if what he does doesn't work, and you want to leave, he's not going to stop you."

--Current Time--


Snapping back to the present, I continued to watch Keegan and Will, their smiles soft and warm. For a brief moment, I saw something glittering in the light. Staring at both of their hands, I saw that there was an engagement ring on Keegan's hand, and I felt a smile play at the corners of my lips. "Good job, you two. I'm so proud of you."

Looking at Chase, who was currently snapping pictures of him and twin brothers, I felt my heart smile. That man had brought so much into my life, I can't even fathom what my life would have been like without him. All of this happened after he and I got together. I found my family, and it was great.

Deep down in my heart, though, in the places I always refused to look, there was a pulling that didn't feel right. Somehow, somewhere, something was going to happen, and it was going to do so much to Chase and I that our marriage just might not be salvaged this time. For the first time in years, I was scared. So very scared.