Status: active

Wishful Thinking

Chapter 1

I float in and out of consciousness but know I am moving. There is a girl from what I gather she has blonde hair with a strange get up on. I try to focus but I am in too much pain. She keeps saying it will be okay but I am not so sure of that.

“My ankle is broken” I mumble to her.

“I know I am working on it” She answers softly I feel my leg elevate and I hiss in pain.

“That doesn’t feel good.”

“Nothing will feel good.”

“Are you going to kill me?” I prepare myself for the worst. This is a complete stranger I’m not one for wishful thinking.

“If I was going to kill you I would have done it by now.”

“A simple yes or no wouldn’t suffice here?” She laughs at that making me relax a little. I’m completely on edge but can you blame me?

“For someone who just evaded death, you sure are handling it well…”

“It’s how I deal, I’m tired.”

“So rest, don’t worry you’re safe.”

************************************

I’m pacing my kitchen floor right now. My dad is giving me a lecture on proper etiquette when saving somebody.

“I know dad I understand I just didn’t want to leave her. She’s…fragile.”

“Scarlett you know nothing about her. This could be a trap of some sort. Regardless of the matter a hospital bed would be much safer than your home!” I grit my teeth knowing that he’s right but still annoyed by this conversation.

“I was trained by the best. I’m not worried about a few unwanted visitors.” I stare at myself in the mirror admiring my tattoos and how much I look like my mother. Rest her soul.

“I trained you to protect yourself not to take cases that I didn’t authorize. I’ve already lost your mother I don’t want to lose you too.” I hated when he used this line on me. Did he expect me to just sit around and lock myself up in a box? No, he knows he needs my help.

“She is in trouble and I am going to make sure nothing happens to her. That’s the end of it. You said you wanted someone on her. I think I am a prime candidate for the job.” He sighs warily and I know he’s going to give in.

“If you weren’t good at what you do I wouldn’t allow this. Don’t mix pleasure with business Scar.”

“Now what the heck is that supposed to mean?” I smile to myself knowing my Dad knows me too very well.

“You know exactly what I mean, if she wasn’t a pretty girl she would be in a hospital bed right now and we wouldn’t be having this conversation!”

“Oh Dad, I was just trying to save her an unnecessary hospital bill.” He laughs then tells me to report to him in the morning. I hear movement in my room-guess she’s awake now-and go to check it. I open the door and am surprised to feel a knife pressed against my neck.

“Who are you and what am I doing here?” She demands, hands shaking. I put my hands up to show her I’m harmless but she doesn’t budge.

“I rather not talk with a knife to my throat. You know it’s just rather uncomfortable.” She nudges me clearly not entertained by my wit. I guess I’ll just have to show her whose boss. I elbow her in the side causing her to stumble then twist her arm behind her back and grip her hand tight. She drops the knife a few seconds later and I retrieve it quickly placing it on the side table. She’s rubbing her arm clearing frustrated.

“That was an unnecessary amount of force.”

“I’m sorry but weren’t you the one to greet me at the door with a knife?” She smirked and returns to the bed with a hobble.

“My dad taught me to protect myself.”

“Well I guess we have some things in common” I said leaning against the door.

“Who are you?”

“Just your friendly neighborhood superhero” I flash her a smile and she laughs for what seems like forever.

“Right rightttt, what’s your name?”

“Scarlett Field. It’s a pleasure, you can call me Scar if you’d like. I know your name is Minka. You happen to be twenty years old and you love stars.”

“Hence the tattoo on my foot…just so you know that’s a little creepy that you know random things about me…did my father send you?”

“Let’s just say my father and your father are really good friends and I’m here to protect you.”

“Right, what’s the code word?”

“Little Dipper.”

“Second?”

“Milky Way.”

“Third Location?”

“Wandall.”

“Why is he in Australia?! Without me for that matter I’ve been begging him to take me there for years now.”

“Hes not there on vacation and I believe the point of code words are so you don’t say the actual meaning out loud.” She scoffs at me offended by my statement.

“I do what I want. I say what I want. Get used to it.”

Oh boy, I think what have I gotten myself into?
♠ ♠ ♠
My descriptions are going to be corky. Also asterisks means there's a point of view change please pay attention so you don't get confused! Of course let me know what you think. I'm trying to do something different.