Status: Hello there, this is still a work-in-progress

Hidden Hearts are Hard to Find

Three

1.1

It’s been two (2) weeks since I’ve moved. Wow, it’s been that long already. Dia still would not stop bugging me, since I haven’t found a job yet, “a real one” as she would refer to it. Apparently, my selling of prints online wasn’t a job—well for her, at least. Also, she’s been scolding me about my decision in working in a bakery.

“What’s wrong with it?” I argued.

She scowled. I could feel her glared although we were talking on the phone. “A bakery, Charlie? Seriously?!”

“I’m going to be the one working Di, don’t get too worked up about it.”

She stayed silent for a while and sighed in defeat. Yes, finally. We talked it out; she’s going to come by again just to make sure I don’t flake out on the job opportunities. She promised not to interfere with whatever my business is, and it was such a relief. She’s been getting a little too nosy these days. I set the phone down and showered.

The sky was exceptionally gloomy today, in a good way. The sun was still there, but was hidden behind the thick greyish clouds. I assumed it’s going to rain, but not so soon. The heat’s been killing me for the past few days, so I guess today’s weather seems nice. After a nice cold shower, I’d settled with a pair of black stockings under my favourite acid-wash shorts and a hooded sweater.

While waiting for Dia, I decided to go for a walk. The universe was conspiring, so why not have an adventure. I put on my sneakers and headed down. On my way out, I bumped into Laura. She was wearing an incredibly huge floppy hat, and gloves. I guessed she was pampering her plants. “Going out for walk? The weather is perfect today, I love the cold weather.” Laura spoke.

I smiled. “Yeah, the heat’s been tormenting me. And I need to stretch out my legs too.”
She smiled back at me then excused herself to feed her pet cat.
The streets weren’t as crowded like the usual today, maybe because it was Saturday. But that kind of made it more confusing; shouldn’t the streets be more crowded since its weekend? I sighed, and continued wandering aimlessly. My feet brought me to a small antique shop. They sell old books, and notebook journals. There were also a few dream catchers, one of which caught my attention. It was a Blue one, a thin strip of black leather was tied around it. I thought it would look great on the side of my bed, so I bought it. After I’d paid, my phone buzzed. It was Dia—and she was pissed.

“Fuck. Charlie, I am stuck in traffic right now so I’ll probably be late. Go wander off for a while.” Then she hung up quickly.

As if I wasn’t wandering already. I continued my adventure and ended up in front of an old book store. Does every place here have an old-fashioned or antique theme? When I’d entered, a lady in her 40s greeted me warmly with a smile. I greeted her back and walked to the aisles. It smelled of paper inside, my favourite smell. ‘I could get lost in this place forever’ I thought to myself. For a while, I just looked around, skimmed through books and totally forgot that Dia was coming. My phone buzzed again, it was her. Shoot.

“Charlie, where are you?!” she snapped.

I quickly shushed her. “Can you keep it down? I’m on my way back, stow your temper.”

Before leaving, I grabbed a few old books from the shelves and paid before heading back out. The cover of some of the books I bought were tattered and torn already. Somehow, it broke my heart. Who could be so careless though?

When I’d arrived back, Dia was already inside my flat. A hand on her waist and a pissed of face, she was definitely not in a good mood. “Where have you been?!” she exclaimed.

Oh no. I’ve never liked Dia in her sour mood.

“I was out at the book store.” I replied calmly, moving to the living room to set down my new old books.

She sighed heavily, running a hand through her hair. “Look, you have an interview in 2 and a half hours.” She finally broke down.

WHAT THE ACTUAL—

“WHAT?!” I almost screamed. God, Dia just gets into my nerves sometimes. “God damn it, Dia. I just can’t believe you right now.”

She rolled her eyes. “Oh, come on Charlie. Do you really think you’d make a fortune out of selling cookies? Seriously? This is New York city for fuck’s sake.”

“Wow, you really don’t have that much faith in me. Do you?”

I was pissed at Dia. She made a promise, and she broke it the same day. As much as I hated hating her, I couldn’t hold back my anger. I stormed out on her, to hell with that interview. Dia was the last person I wanted to see today, she’d stepped over an imaginary line. She already gave me a hard time about the moving part and now this? Why now? We were having a good time yesterday, she like the kitchen and helped me in moving my stuff. Sometimes, Dia could just turn into a pain in the ass.

My vision blurred as the tears started to prickle in my eyes, and I crash. Feeling the warm liquid spilling over my sweater, I looked up to see who it was. Oh shit. Gray eyes, staring at me, surprised. I stared back at him for a while, and again I started blurting out apologies. His coffee had spilled all over me. And it was entirely my fault. “I am so sorry.” I said, trying to not flinch as the hot coffee cascades down my chest.

He looked at me worriedly. Oh, good heavens. “Are you okay? It’s fine. I’m sorry. Here I’ll help you—” he started wiping the coffee off my shirt. I quickly stopped him, my chest was already burning and I had to wash it off.

“I-it’s fine, don’t worry. I-I’ll pay for your coffee, I’m just gonna w-wash this off.” I stuttered before dashing back to my flat, leaving him completely dumbfounded by my actions.

It stained. The coffee stained my sweater. This is just great.

Dia was in the kitchen when I came back, but I ignored her completely. After washing the coffee off, I could still feel the burning sensation on my chest. It had also turned red. I’d decided to wear a V-neck shirt instead, since it stung whenever the fabric touches my chest.

When I headed back out, a lump rose in my throat. He was there, waiting. He must have followed me. “Oh, hey” I’d manage to say. He quickly looked up and asked me if I was okay. I assured him that I was. By the look that he had on his face, he was definitely worried.

“I am extremely sorry for spilling your coffee.” I apologized once again.

His eyes wandered to my obnoxiously red chest, I hadn’t noticed that the neck line hung low. “Did I do that?”

“Well, technically your coffee did.”

“Shit. I am so sorry, really. I didn’t see you coming.” He smiled apologetically.

For a while, we just exchanged apologies but he didn’t seem to settle with that no matter how many times I’ve told him that it was okay. And that the burning feeling would eventually go away.

“It’s fine, uh—” I stopped, realizing that I don’t even know what his name is.
“Christian.” He said.

OH. I blinked. “Christian” I continued. “It was just an accident, we both weren’t looking.” I laughed softly. The accident was indeed funny.

He smiled and gave in. Finally, I can get myself out of this situation. I excused myself and walked back to my flat, but before I was able to get in he called me out.

“Wait.”
I turned back to him. “Hmm?”

“I don’t even know your name.”

Right. “Charlie. Charlie Harris.” I smiled. He smiled back at me, and I disappeared behind the door.

Swoon Charlie Harris, swoon.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm not sure what to feel about this chapter but I like it anyway. Chapter 4 will probably be up in a few days. Because college is killing me.

But thank you everyone who spared time to read this, and to those who subscribed too. God bless your souls. x