Something to Remember

Chapter 23

JOHN:

I glanced over at Sarah. She was staring out the window and wringing her hands in her lap. When the ring on her left hand caught the light I smiled and reached for it. I entwined my fingers with hers and kissed her knuckles.

“Baby, it’s gonna be fine. Rainer will love you,” I told her. She turned and looked at me hesitantly.

“I’ve never really hung out with kids that much…” Sarah trailed off and I squeezed her hand in reassurance.

“Believe me, you two will be wonderful together. I can see it already,” I said through a grin, smiling wider when she relaxed a little and returned it.

We were about five minutes away from the In-N-Out Burger Mary and Rainer were meeting us at. Originally, we had planned on them coming to the show but Sarah thought that it’d be better to meet somewhere less hectic and I agreed. After arranging things with Mary last night on the phone, I had talked to Rainer and explained things the best I could, keeping in mind he was only four, but the kid seemed just as excited as I was. I couldn’t wait for the two most important people in my life to meet.

Sarah was quiet for the rest of the ride and when I pulled into the parking lot, I quickly jumped
out to open her door for her.

She blushed and smiled, taking the hand I offered her. As she climbed out of the seat, I took in the way her brown hair flowed down her back and over her chest. When I felt her watching me stare at her body I quickly looked up to her eyes. They were so blue and she was so lovely, I still had trouble grasping that she was actually going to marry me. Her tiny mouth pursed slightly and she scrunched her eyebrows in confusion.

“What? Do I look ok?” She ran her hands down the front of her Rolling Stones tank top and tugged at her pin-striped shorts. I shook my head at her, partly in disbelief of her question, partly in an attempt to clear my head after focusing on the low neckline of her shirt.

“You look beautiful, as always, my dear. Now, are you ready to meet Rainer? Mary texted me and said they’re already inside,” I said and Sarah looped her arm through mine to lead me to the entrance.

She sighed after a moment and I looked over at her.

“I actually am happy and excited to meet him, you know,” she told me while turning to look up at my face. “I’m just scared I won’t be, like, I don’t know, good with him or whatever.” She shrugged, obviously trying to brush off her anxiety and I pulled my arm away from hers so I could rub gentle circles onto her back. I nodded to the man that held the door open for us before answering her.

“I promise you, there is no wrong or right way with him. Rainer is Rainer and once you actually meet him you will understand what I mean. Just be yourself, everything is going to go perfectly,” I whispered gently into her ear. She quickly kissed my lips and I began to pull her closer until I heard a familiar voice calling my name and Sarah pulled away.

“Daddy, Daddy, Daddy!” Rainer came rushing at us and jumped up, completely trusting that I would catch him. I did, of course, but it still made me nervous that one of these times I might not and he could get hurt.

“Hey! What’s going on, dude?” I hoisted him against my hip and he wrapped his little arms around my neck. He kissed my cheek and I gave him a high five before he turned serious.

“Mommy said I couldn’t have another cookie,” he wined, looking up at me and sticking out his bottom lip. I laughed at his sudden mood change, knowing he was trying to play me. What could I say? The kid was spoiled.

Mary finally reached us from where they had been waiting in the booth and shook her head at the boy.

“You’ve had two already Rainer! That’s already more than enough!” she said, crossing her arms, and Rainer mimicked her while narrowing his eyes. Sarah laughed and I smiled, loving the sound. Ever since Zac left last night, she had been seriously upset and I was happy to see her loosening up.

Mary looked at Sarah and stepped forward with a hand out towards her.

“Hi, I’m Mary.” She smiled and I rolled my eyes, knowing this was just her typical nice routine until she started digging for gossip.

I put an arm around Sarah and looked down at her before returning my gaze to Mary.

“This is my fiancée Sarah.”

I watched in amusement as Mary’s eyes nearly popped out of her skull, remembering that I hadn’t mentioned that to her on the phone. Sarah placed her hand in her’s and I watched as she tried to discreetly check out the ring on the other one.

“Wow, congratulations you guys!” Mary said and I just brushed it off, shifting my attention to Rainer as we walked to the booth.

“This is Sarah, that girl I told you about last night, remember? She’s really nice, why don’t you say hello?” I asked him while gesturing to Sarah. He looked at her and smiled, showing his dimples.

“Hi Sarah,” he said and stuck his hand out, just like a grown up. Sarah chuckled and shook his hand. I could tell she was quickly relaxing. Rainer tended to have that effect on people.

“Hello Rainer, it’s a pleasure to meet you,” she said. Rainer nodded.

“Yes, I know,” he told her and we all laughed at the way he said it so matter-of-factly. Mary scooted into one side of the booth first and I put Rainer down so he could follow, but he looked at Sarah and then me before climbing into the other. I shrugged and looked apologetically at Sarah before trying to sit next to him but he looked at me like I was crazy.

“No Daddy! I want Sarah!” He looked at Sarah hopefully and clapped when she smiled at him. After giving me a quick kiss on the cheek, she sat down next to Rainer. Not even five minutes and they were already a tag team. I chuckled, knowing that it pleased me way too much to even tease them about it.

Rainer busted into a box of crayons Mary had brought for him and was eagerly getting Sarah to help him draw a picture. I stared at them and smiled, not caring how corny it looked. They were perfect together, both so gentle and kind-hearted. I loved that I could have them both in my life.

Sarah’s hair fell forward as she labored over the picture of an airplane as demanded by my son and I reached my hand under the table to squeeze her knee. She jumped but grinned when she saw me smirking at her.

Rainer tugged at her arm when he noticed she wasn’t paying attention to him anymore and she quickly turned back to him. He said something I couldn’t hear and Sarah made a funny face, causing him to laugh. My smile got wider.

“She’s beautiful,” Mary said and I looked over at her in shock. She had always been vain about her looks and to hear her compliment any other girl was not in the least bit common.

I glanced at Sarah, beaming at her, before looking back at Mary. “I know.”

“She seems wonderful with him too.” I watched her in confusion, never having heard her speak like this about anyone other than Rainer before. Don’t get me wrong, Mary was a good person and I trusted her with our son, but she wasn’t someone I would ever consider marrying. Not to mention the fact that no one could ever amount to Sarah.

“There wasn’t a doubt in my mind.” I grinned at her and she laughed.

“That is one mighty fine rock by the way, Mr. O’Callaghan! Congratulations, seriously. I barely know her but Sarah seems great.” I nodded and laughed. I was glad the ring was up to par, it was a bitch trying to get one last minute.

“So how have you and Rainer been lately? I meant to make a trip up last week but things got hectic.” I asked and looked at her in confusion when she shook her head.

“Rainer is great but there’s something I’ve got to tell you.” Mary avoided eye contact and I grew worried. I stared at her in anxious silence.

“John, I’m leaving. I’m going on a world tour with my boyfriend, and before you even try it, yes this decision is final.” She looked at me, her whole body tensing in suspense for my reaction. I sat there a moment before glancing at Rainer then back to her.

“What about Ray?” Her expression turned sheepish.

“That’s, uh, what I needed to talk to you about. I need to leave him here with you. I have everything packed in the car.”

I froze in complete shock. She what? I couldn’t do this, she hadn’t even given me the chance to plan for it. I felt my face get red in anger. I was on tour and just starting out a life with Sarah and now she was dropping Rainer off with no warning?!

I grabbed her wrist and pulled her after me out of the booth.

“John?” Sarah and Rainer were both staring at us.

“Mary and I just need to talk for a minute, we’ll be right back.” I kissed Sarah’s forehead and she looked at me worriedly but let me walk away.

I didn’t let go of Mary until we were outside on the side of the building where there was very little people. I spun around and looked at her guilty expression. Even she knew she was wrong.

“What. The. Fuck. I’m on tour Mary! I thought we had agreed that we should keep Rainer secret and away from the public eye but now there’s no way I can do that! How is that the right thing for him? I don’t want him to be mixed up in all the craziness with the fans and not to mention, my lifestyle is not one for a kid. I drink and stay up extremely late and play shows in clubs. I can’t even shower everyday! I don’t want that for our son. And I can’t just quit the band, before you tell me that, because it is the only thing I have going for me. What do you expect me to do?”

I crossed my arms and Mary put her hands on her hips.

“I don’t know John! I don’t know what you should do here but I’m leaving Rainer with you no matter what so I guess you better figure it out!” She stormed off to her car and I watched as she hauled three huge suitcases out of the back and carried them to mine, setting them on the ground since the doors were locked.

I silently walked over and loaded the bags into the car, not making eye contact with Mary as she watched. When I finished, I just turned my back and walked away. I felt her hand on my arm and paused, not looking at her.

“John, I know I seem like a bitch, but I’m only being so stubborn because I’m confident in you. I see the way you look at Rainer and I know that you would do anything for him; it reassures me that you’ll be a perfect parent. I’m not sure how but I am certain you will figure this out, with Sarah.” I looked at her through narrowed eyes as she continued. I had never heard her speak so sincerely.

“She really seems perfect for you John, she’s everything I wasn’t. I genuinely wish you guys the best and I’m sorry for doing this, but thank you for being here for our son. Rainer deserves to be with someone better than me.” With that, she hugged me and quickly walked to the car. Waving with a sad look on her face, she pulled out of the parking lot.

As I sat down in the booth again, Sarah stared at me curiously and squeezed my hand. Rainer looked up from his hamburger and cocked his head.

“Where’s mommy?” I smiled at him and winked.

“Mommy’s just going on a little trip. You’re gonna hang out with us for a while buddy!” I laughed when he grinned at me and threw his arms around Sarah in enthusiasm. In all honesty, I was only worried about how Sarah would react now. I knew that I loved Rainer too much to be disappointed he was staying with us.

Sarah smiled but looked at me in question. When I shook my head at her she nodded and let it go.

“Have you seen twitter lately? It’s going crazy over our engagement! News travels fast.” She peered back down at her phone, shaking her head in amazement.

I pulled out my own and opened up twitter. Sure enough, there were tons of mentions and messages to me, all about Sarah and I. The majority were very sweet and kind, but there were a few haters that made me laugh.

Sarah wrapped her arm around Rainer and I watch with a smile as she tickled his sides, making him squeal and giggle. Looking back down at my phone, I sighed. The fans better get ready, more big news was on the way,
♠ ♠ ♠
WOW I am lazy. I kept saying I was going to update this story but I didn't until now so sorry! What are you guys thinking? Please leave me comments and let me know!! :)

Also, I got TWO more recommendations!! You guys rock thank you!!! (snehthesnail and emilyyoumeatsix)

Thanks for reading and subscribing! Love you all!