‹ Prequel: You are Free
Status: hiatus

Forever Never Lasts

Hostage

"You have a lot of nerve," Jennifer growls into the phone. "You know that?"

"And so do you," the man retorts. "Running out of town without telling anyone... Gemma wanted to report you and Gunner as missing."

Jennifer slowly shakes her head. "Why can't the two of you just mind your own business, Jax? I'm an adult!"

"I can only speak for myself. But I just want to make sure you're okay, Jenny."

"I'm fine, Jax. Just tell Hap to go home, so I can get on with my life."

Jax sighs, "you're not safe."

"I've lived here for over three months, Jax!" Jennifer snaps.

Happy crosses his arms, glaring at Jennifer.

She proudly displays one of her middle fingers to him, with a facetious smirk on her face.

"You're coming home, Jennifer. Please don't make me come up there."

Jennifer's eyes narrow, "I wish you would, you mother--"

Happy snatches his phone out of Jennifer's hand and glares at her, before putting it to his ear.

Ignoring Happy's side of the conversation, Jennifer crosses the small apartment and picks her son up, resting him on her hip.

"Was that really necessary?" Happy asks, upon closing the burner phone.

Jennifer does not answer, instead choosing to just stare at Happy. Gunner's hands find the end of Jennifer's long hair.

Happy stares back, right into her eyes, failing to blink.

"I'm not pleased with Jax right now, Hap."

The man shakes his shaved head, "I don't care. Jax is President now, and he's just looking out for you and your boy."

"I can look out for my boy just fine," Jennifer pulls Gunner close to her. "Don't bring my kid into this."

"You can look after him just fine?" Happy's low, hoarse voice seems so loud in the tense air of the apartment. "Look at where you live, Jen! Druggies, cheap hookers... You can barely look after yourself. Both of you are gonna get hurt here."

She shakes her head, "Stop trying to scare me back into the arms of SAMCRO."

Happy shrugs, "Why would I try to scare you, Jennifer?"

Swallowing the lump rising in her throat, Jennifer inwardly accepts defeat. The young woman sinks her manicured fingers into her son's back. "I don't want to go back."

"A lot of us don't want to do things," he shrugs. "Yet we find ourselves having to do those things."

"This is my life, Happy. My family isn't in Charming anymore," Jennifer whispers.

Happy shakes his head. "Your old man may be outta the picture, but the people you know in Charming are the only family you have left, Jennifer."

She scoffs, shaking her head.

"I would hate to see you, or Koz's boy, get hurt," Happy shrugs.

Image


Putting the phone to her ear, Jennifer glances into the rear view mirror of the Blazer. Happy and his Harley are the only thing behind her on the southbound interstate highway.

"Hello?" The woman's voice comes over the phone.

"Tara," Jennifer sighs. "It's Jennifer."

Tara sighs, "Jesus... Jenny. Are you alright?"

"I've pretty much been taken hostage," Jennifer shrugs.

"What?" Tara gasps quietly.

Jennifer rolls her eyes. "Jax sent Happy to Portland with orders to bring me home."

"Yeah," Tara sighs. "So, I've heard."

"We're headed to Charming now," Jennifer shakes her head. "I can't stay there, Tara."

"I don't know what I can do to help, Jenny," Tara's voice is suddenly much more quiet. "Jax has been insistent on keeping everybody close."

"I'll figure something out," Jennifer sighs loudly. "Don't worry about me. Maybe you can come see me, though, once I get there? I don't wanna see Jax, though."

"Yeah," Tara perks up slightly. "I can definitely visit you once you get here."

Jennifer glances into the rear view once more, to see Happy flash his light at her. "I gotta go. I'll talk to you later."
♠ ♠ ♠
It's been a while. My writing is super rusty. Life has been busy & I want to get back into the swing of writing now that my life has slowed down again. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.