‹ Prequel: You are Free
Status: hiatus

Forever Never Lasts

Help Me

Stretching her arms well above her head, Jennifer stands on her toes and lets a loud yawn escape from her lips. The familiar sound of a Harley in the driveway quickly pulls Jennifer into the living room, peaking out of the thick curtains just in time to see, and hear, the bike shut off. Unlocking the door, Jennifer stifles another yawn as she gently pulls the heavy barricade open.

“Juice said you needed to see me,” Happy says quietly, before he even steps foot onto the front porch.

Jennifer nods, “yeah, I need to talk to you.”

“About?”

“You wanna come inside and we can talk?”

The silence between the pair is thick as Jennifer locks the door after Happy comes inside, and even after they each take a couch in the living room.

Jennifer rubs her bare knees. “I didn’t mean to snap at you the other day, Hap.”

He smiles, “you didn’t have me come all the way from Jax’s place to apologize for that, did you?”

She shakes her head, “no. But, I still need to apologize for it.”

“You want something,” he says under his breath.

Pursing her lips, Jennifer crosses her arms. “I wish you would just listen for a second.”

“I’m all ears.”

“My dad came by yesterday. He was telling me about how Charming isn’t all that safe anymore.”

Happy’s eyes narrow slightly, as he blinks.

“He was talking about how Jax isn’t able to protect me. So, I’m kind of on my own…”

Happy nods, “this town isn’t what is used to be.”

Jennifer shakes her head, “I-I don’t feel that safe anymore, Hap.”

Not moving, or saying a word, Happy just stares at Jennifer.

“I’m not sure if it’s because I’m not just thinking about my own safety anymore. Or maybe, it’s because I am by myself now,” she swallows the lump rising in her throat, letting her gaze fall to her hands. “But… I felt safer in that shitty apartment in Tacoma than I do here.”

His voice is low, “That’s pretty bad.”

She nods slowly, “yeah.”

“What do you want me to do about it, though?”

Jennifer shrugs lightly, “help me.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Feedback is always appreciated.

xoxo