Coming Back Down

Addison

My eyes adjusted to the light in my bedroom and as I looked down, I realized I was still in yesterday's clothes. My shirt was slightly wrinkled and the jeans were rubbing my ankles in an uncomfortable way. I sighed, remembering why I had passed out fully dressed without closing the curtains.

I had spent the previous day helping Dad move his things across town. The split had been a surprise, not only to me, but to my siblings as well. Kendall had only moved out a couple of weeks ago, and all of sudden Dad was ready to leave us too.

It was weird, going down the stairs into the kitchen and not seeing Dad there reading his paper. Instead I was welcomed by a too-happy Mom frying something in a pan.

"Good morn...-er, afternoon, sweetheart!" she beamed, "Would you like some breakfast?"

"Um, no thanks. I'm okay." I replied, rubbing my eyes.

"Alright, but I'm making Lilly some if you change your mind!" she turned back to the pan, humming something that sounded way too Popish for Mom.

I sighed and walked over to my little sister. She was sitting in her high-chair, playing with the dried cereal Mom knew she wouldn't eat. I kissed the top of her head and she smiled wide, her eyes sparkling, "Addie!"

My sister was one of the most important things in my life. Sure, I had my friends and I had my parents. Hell, I even had Kendall but I loved Lilly more than any of them. She was so innocent, so unaware of all the things around her and I was, in a way, jealous. Jealous that I was robbed of that naivety.

Mom cleared her throat and ripped me from my thoughts, "So I was thinking about day-trip to see Kendall and to go shopping for some clothes for Lilly. She keeps growing out of everything she has. Would you mind coming along to help keep an eye on her while I shop?"

I nodded, "No problem. When did you wanna go?"

"I was thinking about maybe next Saturday, as long as Kendall is free and it works with my work schedule."

I nodded again and announced that I was going for a walk. Everything was just weighing down on my shoulders and I needed a bit of space. I figured I'd take a walk down to the park or something, and just spend some time on the swings or a bench.

I walked down a narrow path that leads me further into the city. The path was sort of like an alley, I suppose, with being between two buildings and what not. As I reached the end of the path, I noticed someone sitting on the ground with his back pressed against the building.

He looked so serene, so content. There was something between his fingers but I couldn't quite make out what it was. I just stood there and watched the boy, there was something about him. Something I wanted to figure out.

-

It's been hours since I stood and watched the boy against the building. A permanent picture has been painted in my head and I can't seem to think of anything. Not even Dad leaving. There was just something about that boy, something that made me want to talk to him; to know him and to, without reason at this point, help him.

He was different from everyone else and I could tell simply by looking at him. He reminded me a lot of Lilly in a way, ignorant to the world around us. There was a helpless essence around him and I just wanted to help. All I wanted was to know him, to be able to help him.

I felt a light buzz in my pocket and was, once again, ripped from my thoughts by Mom. She was calling me, something she did way too often for my liking.

I slide the answer option across the screen and pressed the phone to my ear, "Hello?"

"Addison? Addison!" She sounded relieved, "Where are you? It's almost 11 o'clock!"

I glanced at the clock on my phone and sighed. She was right, I should have been home almost an hour ago and suddenly I felt guilty for worrying her so much, "Sorry Moms. I took a walk, ended up at the park downtown, and I lost track of time I guess. I'll head home now."

She attempted to argue with me about walking in the dark and how dangerous was, but after a couple of minutes she reluctantly agreed to let me walk. I headed towards the path again, hoping to see the boy again. Sad I know, but hey, it was worth a shot.

As I was walking, I heard the noises of someone vomiting not far from me. My stomach dropped and I thought of that boy. I quickened my pace and my fears were confirmed. Bent over was the boy, throwing up what looked too much like liquid to actually contain food.

When he finished, he pulled out something from his pocket which I then realized was a joint. Marijuanna. I sighed and walked up to him. He had assumed a position on the ground, his head against the wall and his eyes close. Every couple of seconds he'd lift the joint to his lips, take a hit, and wait before releasing the smoke into the hair.

I considered walking away but realized how stupid of a decision it'd be so I cleared my throat. The boy's head jolted up and he looked around before finally letting his eyes land on me.

"W-who are you?" He said quietly, in almost a whisper really.

"Uh, hi." I responded, suddenly feeling a loss of words.

"Who are you?" He asked again, venom slowly creeping into his voice.

"My name is Addison," I started, "and uh, I heard you throw up... And I wanted to know if you were okay."

He spit, "I'm fine. Thanks."

"Oh. Alright."

And with that, I turned on my heel and walked away.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sososo sorry for such a late update but here ya go! :)
I'm super excited for this, and I promise updates will go faster!
Let us know what you think?!