Status: Updating Once or Twice a Week for now.

Angels Born of Hell and Fire

Part Two: Chapter Five

Image

[Part Two Chapter Five]

I didn’t sleep, figuring I should be prepared for the rush of bodies that would probably start at dawn. Not like I would have gotten much sleep to begin with.

I cast my eyes around the prone bodies scattered across my room. Taylor and Savannah had collapsed on my bed a few hours before, Peter and Jasper were curled up under a blanket in the corner, and Gabriel lay next to the bed, sprawled out without even a pillow. I was sitting at the foot of my bed, cautious of any sleeping kicks, with a thin blanket wrapped around my shoulders.
It had been a good night.

A great night actually. A practically normal night, if there was such a thing. We had spent hours milling around, snacking until we were all about ready to puke and so jacked up on sugar this was hilarious. We played stupid word games and tic tac toe – after teaching Savannah and them how to even play- and Taylor had told funny gossip stories. It was true that maids knew everything. Peter seemed to come into himself after a couple cans of soda and lots of smiles from Jasper. He added more stories about the tricks he would play on Savannah when they were kids.

There were lots of smiles, and even more laughter. I couldn’t even remember the last time I had a night like this one. Long ago, before we have been taken, when stories like this one only belonged in television drama’s, that was probably when. Back when Jasper and I had been nothing more than high school students, worrying about math tests and grades. Most days that seemed like a dream, those trivial issues. But for tonight we had gone back to those days, and pretended we were all in a different place. Nothing more than normal friends, hanging out together.

Light was drifting in through my blinds and I knew I should probably wake everyone up. We had to clean up the mess we made before it was noticed. Today was a big day after all. Jasper would be rushed away to finish last minute details. Taylor would probably have to go and help the other maids. Savannah, Gabriel and Peter would be working security and safety regulations, making sure there was no trouble during Adam’s precious party. And me? I would probably hide in my room until it was time to get ready. Or possibly tag along with Jasper, helping with whatever she needed.

I carefully slid from the mattress, reaching down to nudge Gabriel’s shoulder.

“Hey, wake up,” I whispered. When his eyes opened I turned to shake both Taylor and Savannah awake. Taylor groaned, protesting that it couldn’t possibly be time to get up yet. I smiled. I left Peter and Jasper for last, remembering how tired Peter had been. When I stepped up beside them however it was to find Peter’s eyes already open.

“I’m up,” he whispered, “I was just letting her sleep for a bit longer.”

As he spoke he didn’t look away from Jasper’s sleeping face, cradled on his arm.

“If you hurry you might be able to catch a nap before everyone gets up,” I say softly. Everyone would have to be back in their proper rooms before anyone noticed their absence.

“No, I’m alright,” he smiled tenderly at Jasper. “Better than alright.”

I smiled, feeling the love in those words. I tried not to think of how lonely that feeling made me.
I left waking Jasper to Peter, and began collecting trash. Most of everything had been eaten, leaving only a few pieces of candy and some chips that would be stored in Jasper’s snack pantry. My veins pulsed with caffeine, not letting me be even the slightest bit tired. I snagged a half empty can of soda and drank the rest, not really caring who it had previously belonged to. It would have been a waste to throw out.

A blurry eyed Taylor came and collected all the dishes and piled them into a basket stored under the table. By time everything was straightened up, the light from the window had gotten stronger, and everyone shuffled to their own rooms quickly. Peter was the last one to leave, but then he didn’t have to worry about being seen by anyone on his way back to his room.

I could feel life starting to flow through the house, people waking up and gathering for breakfast. I was pretty confident everyone in our group would skip the meal and opt for a bit more sleep instead. Normally I would as well, but sleep was dangerous. I had to be fully conscious to keep my walls carefully drawn.

Jasper had crawled up on my bed and then quickly fell back to sleep as soon as her beau had left. It wasn’t a big deal if she was here or in her own room. We often stayed in each other’s rooms for one reason or another. After I had died I stayed almost every night in Jasper’s room, afraid to be in my own alone. I think she might have also been afraid that I wouldn’t wake up again one night.

I reached under my bed and pulled out my box. Into its depths I added the candle that Taylor had placed on the cake. The candle that held our wishes. I didn’t ever want to forget this night, as I doubted we could get away with having too many of them. One was enough though, I would be grateful for at least one.

Image


Later I walked into Jasper’s room to my doom. At least what I considered to be my doom.

Jasper was seated at her vanity, Taylor standing behind her carefully pinning vibrant copper curls into place. Catching sight of me in the mirror, hovering in the door way uncertainty, they both smiled at me. I imagined those smiles to be devious.

"Megan!" Taylor cried and it was already too late to escape. Her small hand clasped around my wrist like a manacle and she dragged me into the room.

Three hours later my hair had been brushed, teased, flatted, curled, pinned, and pulled into what they wanted. My face felt like it had a mountain of makeup on it, my eyelashes heavy from mascara. My usual teeth bitten nails have been buffed and polished, as well as my toe nails. I was zipped up into a giant mass of gauzy green fabric that floated around me like vapor. Silver bangles jingled at my wrist and a choker of stunning jewels was fastened at my throat. However, when Taylor approached with a pair of deathly high heeled shoes, I put my foot down. So to speak.

She protested, saying my boots would be completely atrocious with everything else and I had to agree. I went bare foot instead, much to Taylor’s displeasure.

As she was putting the finishing touches on her masterpiece I noticed something.

“Taylor, shouldn’t you get dressed as well? The party will be starting soon,” I said.

Jasper turned from where she had been examining herself in the full length mirror.

“That’s right, you should go get ready.”

Taylor smiled sadly at us, fiddling with her apron.

“The maids aren’t allowed to attend, so it’s just going to be you guys tonight.”

Jasper’s painted lips parted in outrage.

“What! No, you’re coming to, I don’t care what Adam says,”

I looked at her in surprise. She was usually so careful to appease Adam in every way. Though I really don’t think he would care if Taylor went to the ball or not honestly.

“But I don’t even have a dress…” Taylor tried to protest but Jasper interrupted.

“I have tons, literally. Pick whichever one you want. Come on we’ll help.”

Before I had time to think Jasper was hauling us away into her enormous walk in closet. Adam was always bringing in more and more extravagant gown for her, but she typically dismissed them and chose the more modest and simple out of the bulk. Even the one she wore tonight was made of a simple baby blue satin, the only adornment being a jeweled sash at her waist. The color suited her well, bringing out the depth of her eye color. Paired with it she wore diamond tear drop earrings, a rich diamond necklace with a silver chain, and a diamond bracelet wrapped around her wrist. Simple in comparison to the gaudy mounds of silk in her closet, but beautiful in that simplicity.

Finally we found a simple layered black dress for Taylor. It fit loosely on her small body but she seemed pleased with it. Jasper helped her pin her curls up on the top of her head, and loaned her a set of pearl earrings and long necklace to match.

I watched as they spun around in front of the mirror, faces stretched into smiles. I didn’t go to check what I looked like, trusting in Taylor’s skilled hands to have made me presentable. I didn’t care if I looked beautiful or not honestly, which Taylor had told me I did. I wasn’t even brave enough to look at my image in Jasper’s mind either. It wasn’t like there was anyone out there I wanted to be beautiful for anyways. However, I was happy to see my friends looking so stunning. In a weird way, this reminded me of the high school tradition of prom, just a million times fancier. The jewels hanging from mine and Jasper’s throats were 100% real.

A knock sounded and Savannah floated in. In unison the three of us in the room felt our jaws drop open, and our eyes go wide in shock. If one was to remember, Savannah acted nothing like a girl, nor did she really seem like one at all most times. But the woman who stood before us, one hand resting on her hip was very clearly, and obviously, a woman. Her dress was a deep scarlet, wrapping around her body snugly before flaring out into feathery light folds. Her strong shoulders were bare, allowing to be seen the smooth sheen of her naturally tan skin. She wore no jewelry except two thin chains hanging down from her ears. A dangerous slit went up the side of her dress, allowing brief flashes of toned legs. She towered over us, four inch heels adding to her already intimidating height. I wouldn’t doubt if men started bowing at her feet.

“You guys have dumb expressions on your face,” Savannah snapped, the usually harsh tone of her voice bringing us back to reality.

“Damn,” Taylor said and Jasper and I nodded.

“Are you guys ready? Let’s get this over with…” Savannah grumbled and I laughed, realizing she was hating being in a dress. No matter how good she may look in one, Savannah was simply not the dress wearing kind. Hell, I wouldn’t be surprised if she still had at least one dagger hidden somewhere on her.

Savannah led us to the gigantic ball room I hadn’t even known we had and told Jasper and I to wait behind an equally giant set of door until we were called. She and Taylor disappeared through a much smaller entrance.

We stood in antsy silence, my hands fiddling with the thin fabric of my dress. I could feel the mass of people on the other side of the door. I felt like I was standing at the bottom of a dam, just waiting for the flood waters to be released. Thankfully, my emotion blockers were holding up, or maybe it was just that the people on the other side didn’t feel like a mass of chaos, and more a harmonized symphony. I wondered if that was even possible.

A shift, a slimy feel against my arms, and I turned to find that Adam had joined us. I should have known he’d turn up some time… I watched him warily. I think that was the only way I ever looked at him, either with suspicion or caution. He was dressed in grey. I took in the color in shock, realizing it was the only time I had ever seen him not in his standard black attire.

“You both look stunning my dears,” his voice was as smooth as honey. He leaned down to kiss both of our foreheads. My hands twitched to wipe at the spot his lips had touched my skin.

“Father,” Jasper greeted and I mumbled the same.

“I have a present for you Calamity,” he said to Jasper, his teeth flashing.

“A present?” Jasper raised a brow, her eyes appraising him doubtfully.

He reached his hands behind his back, like an old man trying to play a trick on a child, and when he brought them back around he held in his hand a sparkling crown.

“What is royalty without the crown hmm?” he said setting the spun metal on top of her hair.

“Thank you for your generosity,” Jasper voice was mechanical.

“Of course, of course! It’s a fathers job to dote upon his daughters,” he put his arms around our shoulders; like he had the first day we had officially met him.

“My beautiful, beautiful daughters... I can’t wait to see how well you do.”

When he released us Jasper and I wore matching looks of suspicion, questioning his choice of words.

He winked at us, and that’s when I knew he was scheming something. The only time Adam looked so happy, was when someone else was, or would so be, suffering.

“Come now! They’re about to announce us, your public awaits you!” he said twining his arms around ours.

“Now presenting, her Majesty Calamity, and the General Chaos!” a deep voice resonated through the space, loud enough to vibrate within my chest. Those grand door opened, and I waded into the flood waters.

Light danced around the ball room. The air was hot and alive with excitement, practically buzzing with electricity. Music rang loudly through the large space, ricocheting around to be heard over the clamor of voices and laughter. Colors swirled around, bodies spinning in the old fashion dance. Happiness hummed deeply within my chest, too overwhelming to drive out. I wasn’t even sure it was my own emotion, or simply the taste of the air in here. I didn’t actually care.

I watched a girl in a spectacular assemble of royal blue glide by, her dark hair in ringlets down her back, and wondered how they had all come about this finery.

"I provided them of course."

I spun in a flurry of hazy green to face Adam. I had ditched him earlier, hoping that he would somehow forget about my presence for the rest of the night. He smirked at me.

“You bought all of this for them?” I asked.

“Of course. No one here would have been able to afford it,” he laughed at me, thinking my question silly.

"Come, dance with me a moment my pet."

My eyes narrowed.

"I’m not "your pet"" I hissed even as I accepted the offered arm.

He threw back his head and laughed.

"Think what you may my dear. Think what you may."

I wasn’t looking forward to dancing with him, because frankly, I didn’t even like being in the same room as the man. He did kill me after all. I was entitled.

And besides that, I didn’t know how to dance.

But as we joined the crowd of spinning bodies and he placed his ice cold hand lightly on my waist I suddenly knew what foot to place where, and then we were waltzing like I’d done it all my life.
Adam leaned down and said in my ear,

"There’s a part of her in you yet."

I jerked away.

"What?"

He regarded me with dark eyes.

"Marie."

For one bewildered second I thought he was talking about the maid Marie, but then as I looked into his suddenly black eyes I understood.

Marie. The original General.

My whole body seemed to tremble as I realized that I must look just like her, Marie, dressed this way. We had never found any pictures of the two girls but I could tell from the look on Adam’s face that I must indeed resemble his previous daughter.

The song ended and I gratefully stepped away from Adam, my voice shook ever so slightly as I said,

"I’m not her."

He tilted his head back, regarding my through slit eyes.

"Do you really believe that?" he asked.

"Yes."

He turned away.

"Then you are a fool," and he disappeared in the crowd.

I fumed, and stalked back to the edges of the dancers, cursing Adam for ruining my good mood. Peter and Jasper glided by as the next song began and I found it in myself to smile again. Jasper’s pale cheeks were flushed with joy and love. They were so wrapped up in each other, I doubted they were even aware of the mass of people crushing in around them. I thought about how much better he looked in his white tux in comparison to the black of our uniforms.

“Do you want to dance General?”

I looked up in surprise, finding Gabriel standing at my side. The tips of his ears, not quite hidden beneath sandy hair, were red, but he managed to look at me leveled, if not straight in the eye.
I took his offered arm, smiling as we entered the fray. I was glad to have a distraction from Adam’s presence.

“You know,” I leaned close to his ear to be heard, “if you asked I’m sure she would have accepted to dance with you.”

He stiffened, his face a brighter scarlet than Savannah’s dress, and shook his head.

“No, that’s alright… it wouldn’t be right interrupt them,” he glanced over towards Jasper and Peter, a smile on his lips but not reaching his emerald eyes.

I frowned sadly, knowing that Gabriel wouldn’t ever mention his feelings for Jasper to anyone but me. The only reason I knew was because I could read it off of him, otherwise I’m quite certain he would have continued on without a word. It made me sad because I knew Jasper couldn’t even think of Gabriel that way, so overrun were her thoughts and feelings for Peter.

Squeezing his hand I tugged Gabriel forwards, momentarily taking the lead. He blinked out of what must have been dark thoughts, and stumbled, nearly stepping on the hem of a nearby dancer.

“That’s fine, I wouldn’t have let her dance with you anyways,” I grinned playfully, knowing he wouldn’t misunderstand my words.

He chuckled softly, a grateful expression taking over his features. Neither of us wanted to be left alone without our best friends to keep us company.

“I’m all yours then General.”

I danced twice with Gabriel before Taylor came and stole him. He blushed like a middle schooler when she exclaimed over how handsome he was in his suit. I chatted with Savannah, using the light atmosphere to keep my thoughts buoyant. I asked her to dance once as a joke and she glared so furiously I feared she may throw something at me.

At some point, Jasper and Peter joined us to take a break from dancing. When Jasper went to go and find refreshments Peter leaned over to me and spoke in my ear.

“Can you meet me outside on the balcony in a bit?”

Curious, I nodded my conformation and watched as he dove back into the crowd after Jasper.

I decided to go ahead and go out, finding it was a bit hot and fresh air would do me some good. The patio was free of people when I entered, a fact I was thankful for. It jutted straight out into open air, hanging far above the ground. The night air chilled the sweat that had gathered on my skin, but in a pleasant way.

I didn’t have to wait long before Peter joined me, his expression anxious as he looked around.

"Are we alone?" he asked, surprising me. I wasn’t sure who he expected to be out here, considering the location, but I still searched around, trying to feel if anyone was nearby based on their emotions.

"Yes," I finally answered.

"Good."

His eyes shifted about, and he licked his lips nervously.

"Listen, Megan, I can’t- I can’t tell you everything okay? Adam he, did something, cast a spell, I don’t know, so that I don’t even remember it all, just know that while I was outside, I learned something. Something bad is about to happen, inside the valley. I can’t say what but," he looked at me with eyes of a desperate man, "please take care of Jasper for me. If anything happens to me, you have to promise you’ll look after her.”

And because I could read emotions, and feel how genuinely worried he was, I didn’t point out that I would have already looked out for Jasper, he didn’t have to ask, instead I just nodded.

"Yeah… of course I will."

It was if a visible weight was lifted off his shoulders. He gripped my arms, and looked at me with gratitude shining from his eyes.

"Thank you."

I nodded again, slightly over whelmed by the emotion coming off of him. He let go of me and stepped away. He took a deep breath, as if calming himself.

"You should get back," I told him, "Jasper’s starting to worry." I smiled a little to cover up how much he had just freaked me out.

A wistful look came across his face and he smiled.

"Right."

Just before going back inside he paused and half turned back.

"Oh yeah. I just wanted to say, that I’m glad.... we could become friends," he shot me a crooked smile, "Otherwise I would have starved."

I laughed, hoping it didn’t sound too hysteric, and shooed him away. Everything he was saying sounded far too much like a goodbye.

"Oh go dance with your girlfriend already."

He grinned at me one last time before dashing into the heat of the ball. At the time, I didn’t know that it would the last time I ever saw that smile.

[End: Part Two Chapter Five]
♠ ♠ ♠
Presents!
Jasper
Megan
Taylor
Savannah
Peter
Gabriel
Adam
Those, where a pain in my ass to find, im just saying @_@ So, love me. hah.
Thank you so much for Reading!! :D
Thank you all new Subscribers!
Comments?!