Troubled Youth

1992

By the time Ella and Jared had gone back to New York she still hadn’t told him what was wrong, why she had been crying after seeing her dad. Jared pinned it to being upset over only seeing him once a year and missing being home. That’s where he left it because she didn’t want to talk about it. Ella would either pretend not to hear him or change the subject when Jared brought up that trip.
Instead he focused back on school and worked along while Ella continued on with her job and painting when she was at home. Ella sold a few paintings here and there that helped with the rent because her job was barely cutting it. She felt bad that she wasn’t contributing as much but Jared never had a problem with it.
Jared came home from class one day to find Ella curled up in her bean bag with a sketchbook in her lap and the TV on. He wondered what she was doing when he heard the distinct sounds of porn coming out of the tiny speakers on the TV. He walked over to her and looked at the screen to see she was indeed watching porn. When he looked at her sketchbook he saw she was drawing more or less what she was seeing on the screen.
“Ella, what are you doing?” He asked tapping the side of the bean bag with his foot to get her attention.
“Drawing.”
“And?”
“Watching porn.” She rolled her eyes up at him like it was the most obvious thing in the world.
“Why?”
“Because I was horny and I wanted to sketch.”
“Oh. How’s that working out for you.”
“Still horny.” She chewed the end of her pencil looking back down at the sketchbook.
“My mattress is just a few steps away.”
“Busy.”
“Alright, but I’ll be over here if you change your mind.” Jared said turning and going to his mattress in the corner of the room.
Ella continued on sketching and Jared opened up his backpack to withdraw a book. He curled up against the wall and started reading. It was cold in the apartment since it was February and their heat was too expensive to have on all the time. Jared pulled all his blankets around him to keep warm.
His eyes kept shifting up to the TV. He had to admit he was distracted by the porn on screen. Ella was still curled in front of the TV but she wasn’t really watching it anymore, Jared could see she was looking down at her book fixing something.
“Ella, get over here.” Jared said quietly from his bed.
“Hold on. Working.”
“No, get over here now.” He growled from behind her.
“I’ve got an idea Jared. I’m, for lack of a better word, inspired.”
“Get over here and I’ll give you something to be inspired about.”
She shut her sketchbook and turned around to look at Jared from over her shoulder. “Is that so?”
“Yes.”
She grinned and tossed the book to the floor as she got up from the bean bag. “Do you know what you’ve just promised me?”
“What?” He smiled leaning back against the wall again as Ella crawled on her hands and knees across his mattress towards him.
“A lot.” She pushed his knees apart still coming forward and started to pull the blankets off him.
“You know I have a lot to give.”
“Oh, I know.” She pushed her lips to his. “But you have to know how to do it right.”
“I think I know.” His hand slid up her arm and closed on her neck. “Yes, I think I remember right.”
Ella’s smile widened. He hadn’t done this since their final. She thought he’d been uncomfortable with it, thought she had pushed him a little too far too soon. She’d left that particular act alone thinking if he had liked it he would do it again on his own.
Very skillfully Jared backed Ella off of him using the grip he had on her neck. He laid her on her down on her back before pressing down making it just a little harder for her to breathe. He had to play a little since she wasn’t wearing much that he could tease her with by peeling off slowly. He didn’t understand why she was wearing so little when it was so cold but that wasn’t a concern in his mind for long.
He made her stay where she was as he pulled his own sweatshirt and shirt off in one go. The cold air in the apartment was a little much for him at first but he leaned down on her taking in her body heat to combat the cold. He ended up teasing her a lot less than he thought he would at first. The cold air was too much to take.
Carrots -the safe word- was used a few times by the both of them. They eventually fell to curling up against one another under all the blankets in the apartment. Ella buried her face in Jared’s chest and he pulled his arms tight around her back.
“It’s way too fucking cold in here.”
“It’ll warm up soon enough.” Jared kissed the top of her head.
“I know, but it’s cold now.”
“At least we can always have sex to warm up.” Jared smiled.
“Yeah, that works I guess.”
“What were you working on before?” Jared asked adjusting himself so his back was more comfortable.
“Just an idea.” She pulled herself tighter to his chest.
“And that was?”
Ella sighed, she didn’t really want to start talking about the idea since it was so new but Jared was interested and maybe he’d have something to contribute. “It’s about sex.”
“Well obviously.”
“About the way people do it, the things that get them off... you know?”
“Like choking.”
“You like that too.”
“Alright, what else about this idea little pervert?” He bit the end of her nose with a smile.
“I don’t know, I just thought I’d do paintings and drawings along that theme. I mean, I made one for someone who paid me quite a lot and I thought perhaps that would be a better way to make money.”
“Maybe.”
“That’s all you’ve got to say?” She asked looking up at him.
“What else is there to contribute? Sounds like you have a pretty good idea already.”
“How about you giving me something to be inspired about?” She asked pushing up from his chest so she could look down into his eyes.
“I thought I did that.”
“Mmm, it was nice but it didn’t start any inspiration. Lot clearer than porn though.”
“Having quality issues with your studies?”
“I can’t get enough detail. That TV set is rather fuzzy and those tapes have been played quite a few times.”
“Are you an addict?” Jared smirked tracing along her jaw with his fingertips. “An addict of porn?”
“No, I rented them. Obviously they’ve been played a few times.” She brushed hair from his forehead. “They’re rather good ones.”
“I know, that one you left on is a classic.” Jared was still smiling, he couldn’t stop.
“I suppose. But I need better reference material.”
“Are you asking me for help?”
“Are you offering?” She climbed on top of Jared balancing her body weight over him.
“I don’t know.”
“Why not? A chance to make our own porn? You shouldn’t pass that up. There should be some genetic code in you that automatically makes you want this.”
“It’s a little strange.”
“Please, that’s nothing. Besides, no one would know it was us.”
“Yeah? How?”
“Because I wouldn’t use my own face. Then it would be like a self portrait. I wouldn’t use yours because you’re too chicken. In all honesty I’d crop our faces out.”
“I am not chicken.”
“Then take a few dirty photos with me.”
“No.”
“Chicken.”
“I just don’t want my junk hanging on someone else’s wall.”
“What if it’s not your junk? What if it’s just your mouth?”
“I don’t want your junk on someone else’s wall.”
“I’m a girl Jared, I don’t have junk.”
“Well, I don’t want you like that on someone else’s wall.”
“You’re cute.” She kissed his nose. “Being all protective. Live a little man.”
“I’m not the exhibitionist you are Ella. I’m sorry.”
“Don’t be. I knew you wouldn’t do it. I’ll find someone who will though.”
“Find two people who will.” He corrected.
“Threesome?” Ella asked grinning.
“I didn’t mean it like that. I meant find two people you can take pictures of doing what you want. I don’t want you in the pictures.”
“Aw, Jared.” Ella bumped her nose into his. “You’re cute.”
“You keep saying that but I’m just trying to keep you from doing something you might regret.”
Ella kissed him on the lips. “Thank you but I’m more than capable of taking care of myself. I wouldn’t regret it if I made money off it.”
“So you wouldn’t regret being for sale then?”
“You almost took that too far.” She smirked. “Nice place to stop it.”
“What?”
“You were going to say I wouldn’t mind being a whore.”
Jared shrugged.
“But you stopped because you knew I’d kick your ass.”
“I’d like to see you try.”
“Sweetheart, there are a million different ways I could kick your ass right now.”
“Yeah?”
“You don’t want me to prove it. You’ll just look like a jerk.”
Jared shook his head. “Hey, but back to that threesome idea... if you’re not opposed to the idea...”
“I was waiting for you to come back to that.” She slid off him and curled up with her back to him.
“What?” He put his arm around her waist. “It might be fun.”
“Keep dreaming.”
Jared smiled and kissed the back of Ella’s shoulder before closing his eyes. There were other things he needed to do like homework but he would have rather stayed in bed with her. She scooted back into him so their skin touched and body heat was exchanged.
“I’d be suffering so much without you.” Ella said after a while.
“Same here.” Jared pushed his nose into the back of her neck and then kissed it. “Same here.”

February gave way to March. Shannon came out in the beginning of the month via hitchhiking and Jared already had a birthday party planned for him. He knew Shannon would be in New York for his birthday, there was no way he would give his little brother a chance to cop out of a birthday competition.
The party really just consisted of running from club to club getting as drunk as they could and laughing with one another until their money ran out. Then they went back to the small apartment with a few friends that either Jared and Ella knew or were ones they had made that night in the clubs.
Not much was remembered in the morning and Shannon said that was one of his better parties. Ella had a hard time wanting to go to work the next day and Jared called in sick for her. He then proceeded to take care of her and not let her do anything herself. He made her three meals that day, sat in bed with her head in his lap, and didn’t leave her alone for a second even skipping his classes that day to be with her.
Shannon watched all of this from his position on their second hand couch feeling a bit sick himself though he wasn’t sure if it was from the hangover or from the way Jared was taking care of Ella. He could see that Jared cared for her a lot more than he let on and felt a bit bad for hitting on her the night before. Then again they had all been drunk and it was all out of fun. Jared hadn’t said anything and didn’t really seem to mind it.
A week went by and Shannon was still staying with Ella and Jared. Ella and Shannon would go out during the day and explore the city since she was mostly working nights now. That was something she had wanted to do before but Jared didn’t want her out on her own. Now that Shannon was around he couldn’t say much about Ella wandering during the day.
March passed into April and got closer and closer to May. Jared was buckling down for his finals and Shannon had gone. Jared had to talk to Ella again about something but he either didn’t have the time to or she wasn’t around when he did. It had to do with school again and what he was going to do next.
Ella came home late one night and Jared woke up when she plopped into her bean bag. He picked up his head and looked at her through the dim light coming from the window. She smiled at him pulling a blanket up over herself.
“Go back to sleep.” She said quietly when he started to crawl across his mattress towards her.
“No, I need to talk to you.” He stopped lying his head on the bean bag next to hers and reached a hand out to stroke her face.
“What is it?”
“Sorry Ella. I know you’re tired and want to sleep but this is the only chance I’ve got with you.”
“Then go on. You’ve got like twenty minutes before I pass out.”
Jared pushed up from his bed again and crawled into the bean bag with Ella. She tossed a leg over his hip and pulled him closer kissing his forehead as he cuddled into her.
“What is it?” She asked again once he had settled.
“I’m leaving. I’m not continuing school. Dropping out this time.”
“Why?”
“It’s not the place for me. Just took me a year longer than you to figure that out.”
“What are you going to do?” She asked not bothering to correct him saying school didn’t fit because she didn’t have the money.
“Go to LA. I can’t get that place out of my head. I have ideas and things I want to do that I can’t here. School isn’t going to make me any better than I can make myself by just going out there and doing it.”
“Okay.”
“Are you coming with me?”
“I don’t know. I just got something started here and I don’t want to leave it yet.”
“What?” He asked nuzzling her neck with his nose.
“I’ve got a gallery that wants to have some of my work in a show.”
“That’s fantastic. When?” Jared smiled kissing her neck in congratulations.
“End of May.”
“Oh.” He pulled back and looked up at her face.
“So you’d probably be out of here by then.”
“I can wait until the show opens at least.”
“No, go. I might follow you after. Call me and give me a number so I can call you if I need to.”
“Okay, but promise me I’ll see you again Ella.”
“Oh you will. I couldn’t get away from you if I tried Jared. You’re too good a friend to let that happen.”
“Too good a friend.” He smiled pulling himself closer to her.
Ella curled around him falling asleep with him in her arms. In the morning Jared was woken up by his alarm. His face was still in Ella’s chest but his left hand had moved to her breast underneath her shirt. He didn’t want to get up or move but he had to so he could at least shut the alarm off. Ella groaned under him when she woke up. Early mornings were not her thing.
Jared rolled onto his bed and then continued to roll across it until he reached the alarm. Then he crawled back to her bean bag and tried to settle where he had been but it wasn’t the same. Somehow he knew he wasn’t going to be as comfortable. With that knowledge he kissed Ella on the cheek and got up to find something to eat.
“Do you want anything?” He asked quietly when she rolled over.
“No.” She mumbled from under a blanket.
Jared smiled finishing breakfast and walked back over to his bed. He picked up a pair of pants and smelled them to see if they were clean enough before he tugged them on one leg at a time. His backpack sat open on the floor with books spilling out of it so she swept them back in and hoisted it onto his shoulder before heading for the door.
“Jared?”
“Hmm?” He paused at the door.
“Have a good day.”
“Thanks.” He smiled and shut the door locking it as he left.
Ella snuggled deeper into her bean bag to fall back asleep.
She hadn’t ever wished him a good day before but that could have been because she was always asleep when Jared left. She hardly ever spent a night cuddling with him, not even when they would sleep together earlier in the night. Ella would climb into her bean bag sometime after he would fall asleep and he would wake up alone.
Jared was bothered by that but never said a word. He felt he didn’t have a right to dislike waking up alone so he kept his mouth shut. She wasn’t going to date him and he had almost accepted that. When he thought about it he never really was alone, she had just moved a bit further away from him when morning came.
By mid May Jared had finished his finals and was packing up his backpack with things he needed. All he could really take was a backpack since he was going to California by bus. Ella helped him get some extra money together so he could buy the ticket and have extra cash. Once he’d bought the ticket he had a little over five hundred dollars.
They’d sold their final painting from the action class to get some more cash so Ella would have another month in the apartment before she had to move. Both of them had been sad about it but Ella suggested they make another once they were both in LA together. Jared liked this idea because it told him she planned on following him out there when she could, that she planned on living with him again.
The morning he was supposed to leave they walked hand in hand to the bus station. Jared refused to let Ella go until the last second. He stood holding her hand and hugging her telling her how much he would miss having her around. She kissed his cheek and told him not to worry because they’d see each other soon. He nodded into her shoulder before letting go and getting on the bus.
He had wanted to tell her her loved her while they were standing there but didn’t. He couldn’t. Jared didn’t want to admit that out loud and didn’t want to have rejection cover their last meeting. It might stop her from following him out there. He was sure that somewhere deep inside under all the things Ella hid and didn’t talk about, she liked him. She had to. Even just a tiny bit. The things she said and did made him believe she felt something for him no matter what she said. He just had to wait and see if she would follow him for a second time, uproot her life for him again.
Ella headed back to the apartment that was now just hers and sat down in her bean bag. There really hadn’t been much in the place to begin with but now with Jared gone and all his stuff either gone with him or had been sold the place felt much more empty.
Shannon called a week after Jared had left and asked what was going on. He had thought Jared was staying for the rest of May and didn’t know Ella was on her own. He asked if she wanted him to come out there with her but she said she was fine. Shannon was in North Dakota at that moment and said he could be there in a few days if she needed him.
Ella told Shannon about Jared, he’d made it to California with just about five hundred dollars and was staying in a shelter. She gave Shannon the number so he could call and maybe talk to Jared if he was around. All she knew was that he was safe, had a place to stay, and was looking for a job.
A month later when Ella was couch surfing since the rent on the apartment had run out Shannon knocked on the door of the place she was staying at. She had no idea how he found her in all of New York City but he did and she was glad to see him.
He asked how the gallery show had gone, she had sold both pieces she had contributed to the group show and had contacts to people who might want more from her. Shannon grinned at Ella when she mentioned she’d made quite a bit of money. She knew that meant he had an idea of how to spend it for her so she asked what he had in mind.
At first Shannon was a bit shy not really admitting he had something in mind. It wasn’t until Ella climbed onto Shannon’s lap and put her hands on his shoulders to look down into his eyes that he told her what he was thinking.
There was a concert coming up. It was clear across the country in Seattle but they had time to make it. Shannon had a contact there that guaranteed him tickets if he could pay for them. He hadn’t once mentioned the name of the band playing but Ella was at least interested. She sat down in his lap letting him go on about how fun it would be and just smiled at him.
“...and we could pick Jared up. Then we could all get up to Seattle and spend a day or two up there. It would be great.”
“Sounds fun. But who’s the band?”
“Oh... I didn’t mention that?” Shannon grinned like he knew just what he was doing. “Nirvana.”
“OH MY GOD WHAT? WHY DIDN’T YOU SAY SO YOU LITTLE SLUT!?” Ella shouted grabbing the sides of Shannon’s face. “WE’RE GOING. NOW. PACK YOUR SHIT.”
“Calm down girl. It’s in two months alright. We can stay here a moment and then take our time getting to Jared and up to Seattle. How is Jared doing anyways?”
“Found a spot on a TV show, has a regular job on the side. Still living in the shelter right now.”
“Oh, so nice that he tells you all this.”
“He misses me.”
“No,” Shannon shook his head, “he misses your pussy.”
“That too. Said as much anyways.”
“Wait, what? He said that?”
“He did.”
“Didn’t know he was capable of saying those words. He’s so quiet when it comes to that.”
“He’s changed quite a bit since I’ve been around.”
“So I’ve noticed. What else does he do now?”
“I’m not telling you about his sex habits.” Ella shook her head and slid off Shannon’s lap to sit next to him. “Go talk to him about it. He’s a guy. If I talk about it, then I’m a slut. I know how this game works.”
“It’s not a game Ella. I just want to know.”
“Nosey bastard.” She laughed getting up from the couch.
“Where are you going?”
“Out.”

A month later Shannon and Ella packed their bags with what they could carry and headed for the nearest highway. She was glad to be on the road with him again; she’d missed hitchhiking around the country. They made a few stops to places they’d gone before just to do the same stupid things again before getting back home where Constance lived.
Shannon and Ella stayed for a few days with his mother just to visit her. Shannon hadn’t been home in quite a while and knew she was probably lonely without her sons. Constance loved having them there, always making sure they had something to eat or anything else they may have wanted. She was sad to see them go but they had Jared to pick up and a concert to get to.
California was bright and sunny just like it always was. Ella and Shannon had stepped off the bus and looked around wondering which way to go. They’d had to take a bus the last few miles because no one would pick them up no matter how much leg Ella showed or how much charm Shannon tried to put on. The bus worked out for them though because Ella and Shannon went to the back and fell asleep on each other until the stop at the station woke them.
Ella went to a payphone and put a few coins in to dial the shelter Jared was staying at the last time they talked to him. When she asked to speak with Jared they told her he was out at that moment. Ella hung up and looked at Shannon wondering what they should do next to pass the time. Shannon suggested food and they set off on foot looking for something cheap and tasty.
There were still two weeks until the concert and Shannon had the tickets locked down. All they had to do was get there and show up at the concert. His friend would give him the tickets and they would trade for cash.
For a little while longer Shannon and Ella sat eating before they left the restaurant and started to walk around the city. Shannon got the feeling that Ella rather knew her way around more than she let on. He didn’t know as much about her backstory as Jared did, though that wasn’t much more. Shannon knew the basics, that she was kicked out of home, she met her father once a year, and she pretty much wanted nothing to do with her mother down to even a mention of her. He didn’t know Ella grew up around where they were, that she had spent a lot of time in this city when she was younger. Shannon could tell something was bothering her just from the expression on her face but he knew better from Jared than to ask her what was wrong.
The second time Ella called the shelter Jared still wasn’t around. She asked for directions to the place and if they had space for two more people who only planned to stay a night or two. When she hung up she grabbed Shannon’s hand and led him off down the street. They were within walking distance but she didn’t tell him that. He had to just follow her, hang onto her hand, and trust she knew where she was going.
“This is where Jared’s been staying?” Shannon asked looking at the building.
“Hey, this is all some people have.” Ella let go of Shannon’s hand and went to the door.
The tone Ella had taken with Shannon, the way she’d said those last words to him, made him think Ella had either spent time in this shelter or in another like it not too long ago. He quietly followed Ella into the building and took in his surroundings. He was vaguely aware that the person leading them to a room was apologizing that they’d have to share a bed since there were so many people there.
Ella put her backpack down before sitting on the bed and looking up at Shannon. He tossed his pack under the bed and sat next to her. They were alone for the time being but knew there were other people in this room from the two extra beds there.
“Got any contacts out here willing to take in three couchsurfers?” Ella asked.
“I’ll see what I can come up with once we find Jared. Don’t wanna leave you alone.”
“I’ll be fine Shan. Besides, there’s a phone right outside the door.”
“Okay, then you take a nap while it’s quiet and I’ll make a few calls.” Shannon kissed Ella’s forehead and got up from the bed.
After Shannon had left the room Ella laid back on the somewhat lumpy mattress and fluffed the pillow until she was comfortable. She could hear Shannon’s voice out in the hallway and smiled falling asleep. This was the most comfortable she’d felt in a shelter.
Jared came back from working and could hear Shannon’s voice the second he walked in. It wasn’t that Shannon was loud, it was that Jared would have recognized that voice anywhere in the world. He grinned coming around the corner to find Shannon leaning against the wall on the phone. He waited until Shannon was done to hug him, weird face included as they hugged, and then asked where Ella was.
When he peeked into the room he saw Ella asleep on the bed looking a lot more comfortable than he would have expected her to be. He stood in the doorway leaning against the jamb just looking at her with a smile playing at the corner of his mouth. Shannon looked back and forth between his brother and friend before nudging his brother’s shoulder and then nodding his head at his friend when his brother looked at him. Jared shrugged out of the flannel he was wearing and climbed onto the bed Ella was sleeping on.
Gently he woke her up by rubbing her shoulder and whispering into her ear. She smiled in her sleep and then woke to find she hadn’t dreamed of Jared’s voice. She pulled him down for a quick kiss hello and then let him pull back so he could use words if he felt the need.
The two of them just stayed as they were, Jared sitting and leaning over Ella while she was lying with her hands on his cheeks looking up into his eyes with smiles on both their faces. Shannon shook his head and backed out of the doorway to make another call. Ella pulled Jared in again for another kiss and let her fingers rub the stubble on his cheeks.
“Hey, good news!” Shannon said peeking around the corner to find Ella curled up against Jared’s chest. “I found a couch for tonight and the next night if we need it.”
“Cool. I’ll get my stuff.” Jared said sitting up slowly so Ella could move.
The three of them collected their things, shouldered their backpacks, and left the shelter. Jared said he might be back in a few weeks to the person at the front and then they were walking their way to a less crowded house with a living room that was all theirs for the night and perhaps the next one if they weren’t on the road by then.
Their walk took a little longer than it should have because Shannon insisted he knew a shortcut to the house they were to stay at. Ella knew he was wrong since she knew the city better than him but when Shannon told her she was wrong and he knew what he was doing she just hung back and let Shannon lead them into getting lost. Once Shannon gave up and looked at her she took his hand and pulled him in the right direction with Jared following close behind.
Jared didn’t have too much time to wonder about their hand holding because Shannon pulled him into a conversation about music. Ella knew Jared could play guitar and sang a bit and that Shannon toyed around with drums quite a lot but she didn’t know they were planning on starting a band. Shannon was saying he knew a couple of guys who might be interested in the band if they ever got it together.
Ella lead them into a residential neighborhood and that was about as far as she knew for sure. Then it was down to Shannon remembering street names that his friend had told him and getting a few turns wrong before they came up on the right house number. Shannon and Ella were still holding hands but now it was much more leisurely than her leading him around. Jared chewed the inside of his cheek while trying not to look at it.
There was a guy sitting outside who said he’d been waiting for them. He led them into the house and pointed them in the direction of the living room where the couch had pillows and blankets and the floor had a little palette made up for someone else to sleep in. The guy took a look at Ella and then offered a spare room with a bed to her since she was the lady. She told them she was fine on the couch and someone else could have the bed but all three guys insisted she take the room.
A parade of showers later -Jared had tried to take one with Ella but she wouldn’t let him- the four of them were sitting around talking about what they’d been up to. When Jared put his arm around Ella’s shoulders she didn’t shrug it off. Shannon was sitting across from her and didn’t even give it a second thought when she cuddled into Jared’s side.
Ella decided she’d had a long day and got up to leave the three for bed. Jared followed after her and Shannon gave him a knowing wink. Ella let Jared come into the room and shut the door behind him. He stepped up to her backing her against the wall and put an arm out to lean against so she had nowhere to go.
“What are you doing?” She asked reaching out to grab his shirt.
“Nothin’ just missed you is all.”
“Mmhm.”
Jared leaned in and kissed her. Ella pulled him closer so her pressed her against the wall with his body. He put his hands on her hips and pushed his mouth harder against hers slipping his tongue past her lips. Her hands wound into his hair and for a while they kissed but Ella wouldn’t let anything else happen.
When he pulled back to look at her and ask what was going on she told him she was tired. He got her meaning, that she didn’t want him tonight, and nodded. As he started to make his way for the bed she asked him what he thought he was doing, the bed was hers. Jared smiled knowing she was too smart for him. If she had let him sleep in the bed then she wanted him. He kissed her forehead and wished her sweet dreams before leaving the room to rejoin Shannon and his friend.
The next morning they were off headed for the highway. Ella decided that was best so they could take their time. Besides, they never knew if they weren’t going to catch a ride and get stuck somewhere. She didn’t want to miss seeing Nirvana and wasn’t about to let anyone mess that up for her.
Ella always sat in the back seat of whichever car they picked up. Shannon didn’t want her in the front seat especially if it was a guy. He was too afraid something would happen to her if she did. She was content back there anyways and found it easier to fall asleep with the window down and the wind blowing her hair. Jared liked watching her out the corner of his eye when she did this, he thought she looked really pretty. Shannon would occasionally catch his younger brother staring at Ella but said nothing. He knew that relationship pretty well and could tell his brother was frustrated by it.
They made it to Seattle the night before the concert. Shannon again came through with his contacts and found them a place to stay for the night. This time the three of them slept in the same room. Shannon claimed the couch but told Ella he was willing to share it with her. She opted for the floor and Jared laid down next to her. The three of them talked for a while but Ella dropped off to sleep first with her head resting on Jared’s arm. He pulled her into his chest and curled protectively around her before falling asleep himself. Shannon sat up for a while looking at his brother and Ella wondering what he could do to make her change her mind about Jared.
The next morning they didn’t wake up, they slept until three in the afternoon. Ella got up from the floor and left Jared on his own balled up in blankets. She took a quick rinse in the shower and by the time she was out the other two were up. Shannon said it was about time they went to find his friend with the tickets and get in line for Nirvana.
A car picked them up that was heading for the concert as well so they got a ride all the way to the venue. Jared had his hand on Ella’s thigh while they were both in the back seat and she hardly seemed to mind. Shannon spotted his friend before they were even out of the car.
Getting into line was easy since Shannon’s friend had saved them a spot. Ella handed the guy money and he handed them three tickets. Jared grinned down at the ticket unable the believe that in a few short hours they’d be watching Nirvana.
The line was stationary for a while but once the time came around for doors it moved pretty quick. Jared held onto Ella’s hand once they were inside not wanting to lose her in the crowd. He tried standing behind her with his arms around her waist but she wiggled out of that telling him it was annoying to stand that way. He settled for holding onto her hand since that was all she’d let him do.
Shannon had disappeared but came back after the opening bands were done and Nirvana was supposed to be up next. He stood on the other side of Ella and waited with them while people screamed at even the slightest sight of a crew member setting up an instrument.
The three of them were soon enough screaming the words to the songs back at the stage when Nirvana was on. Shannon picked up Ella to sit on his shoulders so she could see above everyone else. She was close enough that Kurt Cobain grabbed her hand for a moment. That was all she would talk about for the next few weeks. She couldn’t stop reliving that moment and both the brothers got a kick out of seeing her freak out like that.
They stayed the night in Seattle because it was too late to hitch a ride and headed back for California in the morning. Ella decided since she was already in California she’d stay with Jared the rest of the year and see what happened the next year, if she wanted to go back to New York or not. Shannon split off a few days after they got back wanting to do his own thing for a while, maybe even talk to some friends about the band he and Jared were thinking about starting.
♠ ♠ ♠
Alright, proof read this one ahead of time so there shouldn't be anything too horrible or confusing in the chapter. I would like to think I caught everything but I might have missed a letter or two.
Lemme know what you guys are thinking!