Status: One Shot

Last Kiss

Last Kiss

“See you tonight babe.” Derek said through the phone.

“I can’t wait.” I said back with a big smile on my face even though he couldn’t see it. I have only seen him a couple times a month since May.

“I love you babe.” He told me.

“I love you too.” I said before I hung up and walked into my work, Target, with a big smile on my face.

“What are you so smiley about?” Mo asked me as soon as I clocked in. However before I got to answer Cynthia spoke.

“I know that look.”

“What look is that?” I questioned without letting the smile leave my face.

“The look every time your boyfriend comes into town.” She told me with a smirk causing me to blush. “And you just proved that I was right.”

“Derek’s coming into town?” Mo asked and I just nodded. “Will I get to see him?”

“He is coming to pick me up today, but we are going to Keuka for the next few days to celebrate the fourth.” I explained.

“Well it’s good then that I get to close tonight.” She said. Mo had always had a motherly instinct when it came to Derek. He was like another son, just like I was another daughter to her.

Work was going by surprisingly fast considering I couldn’t wait for tonight. I blinked and it was finally my break, however something felt off as I walked into the break room. I grabbed my phone out of my locker noticing that there were 5 missed calls from Derek and a bunch of texts from him and my best friend. I opened hers first it was a forward message from the Buffalo Sabres twitter.

@BuffaloSabres The Sabres have acquired Steve Ott & Adam Pardy from Dallas in exchange for Derek Roy. More details to follow at Sabres.com.

After reading the text I stopped breathing, I didn’t know what to think. Was he really traded? What’s going to happen to us? Why did he have to be traded? Before I could ask any more questions my phone started to ring again.

“Is it true?” I asked not even bothering with hello.

“Yes.” He said his voice sounding hoarse.

“I can’t believe it.”

“I know, I am on my way to you now.” He said sounding sad.

“I still have half my shift left.” I tell him the obvious.

“I just need to be around you right now.” He told me truthfully.

“Ok.” I said softly before he hung up.

“Is everything all right?” Cynthia asked noticing the dramatic change in my demeanor. All I could muster was a shrug, words couldn’t describe the way I felt right now, hell I don’t even know what I feel. “Sami, if you ever need to talk I am here for you.” She let me know before giving me a hug.

“Thank you.” I said quietly willing my voice not to quiver before walking back out to the main part of Target to finish my shift.

Derek arrived with about an hour left and sat quietly in the Food Ave dining room area while he watched me finish work and not looking at his phone once. He put a façade on for Mo, when he saw her as we were leaving but it wasn’t very convincing.

The ride back to my house was quiet, neither of us not knowing what to say to make this situation better. Luckily my parents weren’t home when we did get there, leaving Derek and I to have our conversation privately without worrying about them trying to eavesdrop.

“Sami.” Derek said once we got into my room,

“What are we going to do?” I asked before he could say anything else.

“I can’t ask you to give up everything you have here to go to Dallas with me.” He said looking at me straight in the eye.

“So you are telling me that we are over?” I asked quietly registering what this means.

“I don’t want this to get any more complicated than it already is. I want us to end on good terms and stay friends instead of hating each other later.

“I think you should leave.” I told him mustering the little bit of energy I had left to tell him.

He looked down before getting up off my bed. “Alright.” Derek said as his voice quivered. I didn’t make a move to walk him out. As he got to the door he turned around. “No matter what happens between us, I do love you Sami.” With that he walked out and I swore I saw a couple of tears fall down his cheeks.

</3 </3 </3 </3 </3 </3 </3 </3 </3

I still remember the look on your face
Lit through the darkness at 1:58
The words that you whispered
For just us to know
You told me you loved me so why did you go away
Away.


For the past couple of months, I couldn’t get Derek’s face of the last night I talked to him out of my mind. He was hurting, I was hurting, if he loved me like he said, why did he let us go.

I do recall now the smell of the rain
Fresh on the pavement
I ran off the plane
That July 9th
The beat of your hear
It jumps through your shirt
I can still feel your arms.


All of our good memories would just go through my mind like I was watching it on TV. The first time we met, when he asked me out, when I introduced him to my family, when he told me he loved me for the first time, everything just kept repeating over and over again.

But now I’ll go sit on the floor
Wearing your clothes
All that I know is
I don’t know
How to be something you miss.
I never thought we’d have a last kiss
Never imagined we’d end like this
Your name, forever the name on my lips


You left a bunch of clothes at my house. Every night I will sleep in your shirt trying to make me feel as if I am still being held in your arms. Because I miss you so much, but I don’t know if you miss me, or if you will ever miss me. As I remember the last time you kissed me it seared into my brain just hoping to god that wasn’t the actual last time even though I knew it was.

I do remember the swing of your step
The life of the party, you’re showing off again
And I roll my eyes and then
You pulled me in
I’m not much for dancing
But for you I did


The night I met you, I was shocked, never in my life would I have dreamed of dancing with a random guy at a party. However you weren’t random, the hockey fan I am knew who you were, but that wasn’t the reason I danced with you, I danced with you because there was something about you. I will probably never dance with anybody else again.

Because I loved your handshake, meeting my father
I love how you walk with your hands in your pockets
How you’d kiss me when I was in the middle of saying something
There’s not a day I don’t miss those rude interruptions.


When I introduced you to my family, my Dad and brothers took immediately liking to you, something that never happened with any other boyfriend that I had ever introduced to them. My sister and mom thought it was adorable how you would kiss me to shut me up during an argument when you knew you had lost.

And I’ll go, sit on the floor
Wearing your clothes
All that I know is
I don’t know
How to be something you miss


As another night came and went, I put on another one of your shirts but your smell is starting to fade and that only makes me miss you more.

Never thought we’d have a last kiss
Never imagined we’d end like this
Your name, forever the name on my lips, ohh.


You were the only person I could ever see in my future. Every morning when I wake up I expect you there so I
can kiss you but when I reach over and feel nothing but air I remember we are over, never going to get the ending that I imagined.

So I’ll watch your life in pictures like I used to watch you sleep
And I’ll feel you forget me like I use to feel you breathe
And I keep up with our old friends just to ask them how you are
Hope it’s nice where you are.
I google your name every night to try and see how your life is and if you have moved on. But when I don’t find anything definite I go to your old teammates for information. They just let me know that you are still adjusting to the new team and hot city.

And I hope the sun shines
And it’s a beautiful day
And something reminds you
You wish you had stayed
You can plan for a change in weather and time
But I never planned on you changing your mind.


I knew that I might not have got to spend every waking minute with you because of your crazy hockey schedule and that anything could change at any moment. A missed or delayed date was something I expected but I didn’t expect you to be out of my life.

So, I’ll go, sit on the floor
Wearing your clothes
All that I know is I don’t know
How to be something you miss


Now you scent is completely gone from your clothes but I still wear them wishing that it was you.

Never thought we’d ever last kiss
Never imagined we’d end like this
Your name, forever the name on my lips
Just like our last kiss
Forever the name on my lips
Forever the name on my lips
Just like our last…


What you didn’t realize was that I was willing to leave my family and friends behind to move with you across the country. I had many different scenarios going through my head the day you were traded but not one of them was this.

</3 </3 </3 </3 </3 </3 </3 </3 </3

It’s now Christmas and I just finished a semester of schooling. I had decided to take a leave for the spring semester. Nothing seemed to be going right since that day 6 months ago. Everything I dreamed about just didn’t seem like I wanted it anymore.

I walked downstairs at 4 in the morning, because once again I couldn’t sleep. As I sat at the kitchen table I looked outside in the darkness. After I don’t know how long I saw lights turn into my driveway before the car shut off. I wondered who the hell could be here this early in the morning on Christmas. I didn’t have to wonder long because a knock came at the door.

“Derek?” I asked as I saw who was on the other side. I must be dreaming.

“Sami.” He said in a slight whisper. He had dark bags under his eyes something he didn’t have when he was with Buffalo. Derek’s eyes were different as well, they weren’t the bright beautiful blue eyes I had grown used to, instead were just normal blue eyes without any sign of life.

“What are you doing here?” I asked trying to wake myself out of my dream.

“Remember when I said I couldn’t ask you to give up everything for me?” He asked looking down, like he was shy.

“I remember it every day.” I told him honestly he nodded telling me he heard me as his breath hitched.

“I regret saying that.” He said slowly. “When I said it I didn’t want to be selfish, but selfish is what I needed to be. I understand if you don’t feel the same way anymore but I love you. These past 6 months have been a living hell, not because Dallas isn’t Buffalo, I realized the only reason I liked being in Buffalo was because you were close by.” He told me and I couldn’t stop the tears from falling.

“What are you saying Derek?” I asked trying not to get my hopes up. But they sky rocketed when he got down on one knee.

“Sami Ann Marlow, I love you with all my heart and I know for a fact that I can’t live without you. And I never want to try again, so I am asking you if you still love me, will you marry me?” he proposed as he pulled out a simple heart engagement ring.

“I love you Derek Roy, of course I will marry you.” I said not giving it a second thought as he slipped on the ring before kissing me like he is afraid to let me go.

“Why don’t we take this upstairs?” he asked after a few minutes. “Besides it looks like you could use some sleep.”

I just couldn’t help but smile as he said that because he was right and because it turned out that was defiantly not our last kiss.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for any of the errors. I wrote this quick and kind of in the heat of the moment. Derek Roy is my favorite hockey player, its sad to see him go to Dallas but I hope he does well.

Hope ya'll enjoyed