Status: Temporarily Stopped. :L

Insomnia.

Prologue.

My eyes remained wide open, though my mind was powered down. But this was always the case. It was 4:30 in the morning, and I fell victim to insomnia. My heart pounded in my ears as the room remained peaceful and silent. My mind was far different from the atmosphere outside, chaos developing rapidly. I sighed heavily as frustration grew inside of me. I dared to bring the warm, comforting covers up to my shoulders and close my glassy eyes.

A bad choice, for the nightmares began to plague me once again, the pictures far more vivid than before. The images of him replayed in my mind, over and over, the helplessness filling my mind with guilt. I scoffed and whispered, “How pathetic.” I flung my legs over the edge of the bed and slipped my feet into my worn sneakers, bringing my feet up toward the bed only to tie them tightly. On nights like these, going for a walk in the fresh air was a release. My mind wandered aimlessly as my body did the same along the almost-abandoned sidewalks. A violent shiver runs through me, as I feel a pair of eyes on me. This was normal, because I wasn’t normal looking. The lack of sleep took its toll on my body. My gentle eyes looked like they were hidden in caves, as the black shadows grow darker around them. They didn’t look gentle, but they always looked tired and weak. I lost a severe amount of weight, my jaw and cheekbones much more prominent than before, my arms and legs were thin and frail. My skin lost its colour, making me almost as pale as paper. I didn’t have the energy to eat properly, anymore. My head constantly throbbed with the worst migraines humanly possible, often creating moments where I just wanted to end the misery. The pain felt like a million hammers pounding against my head, plus the sound of thousands of nails on a chalkboard in the background. Needless to say, I looked like a walking skeleton, who was constantly rubbing her temples.

The rising sun was my signal to go home. I returned to my soundless apartment and tossed the keys onto the granite counter top, breaking the silence for only a second. I stepped out of my sneakers at the door, and crossed the room to the window. I pulled out a cigarette as I walked, the horrible habit starting up again after all of this happened. I lit it, watching the flame lick the paper, letting the toxic smoke fill me as I watched the sun rise above the lightening horizon.