Status: In slow progress...

Not Goodbye, Just Farewell

Not Goodbye, Just Farewell

Steve was tactfully looking away, whilst Tony was just staring, like the shameless voyeur he was.
“Come on Tony, give them a bit of privacy,” Steve muttered, seeing his comrade’s gaze was never faltering.
“Why? They make an awesomely hot couple, who wouldn’t want to look?”
“An, to quote you, ‘awesomely hot couple’ who just tried to take over the earth, and destroyed most of New York at the same time.”
“Guys, just shut up; you’re getting annoying,” Natasha hissed, glaring at the two. “And Tony, stop staring!”
“Why?”
“It’s rude.”
“And it’s a private moment for them,” Thor replied, causing the three to start slightly; they hadn’t realised the God of Thunder was listening to them. “They’ll be apart for a long time, so the least we can do is give them some time together.”
“Fine,” Tony muttered, looking sour, but at least at the floor as the other three went back to conversing quietly with one another and Bruce.
The two they were all talking about were stood about five metres in front of them, where the Avengers could see them, and were standing with almost no spade between the two.
Any passer-by would, once getting over the odd style of the tall man’s clothing, have thought that they were just a normal couple, possibly saying goodbye to one another for the day. However, the fact that they would get wrong was the fact that the two weren’t a normal couple; he was the God of Mischief, Loki, who had tried to enslave them the days before, and she was the S.H.E.I.L.D agent/Avenger, Carrie, who had tried to help him by double-crossing S.H.E.I.L.D.
The fact that they would get right would be that the two were in love, and were saying goodbye, only not for the day.
Loki, who was temporarily free of the restraints for his wrists and his jaw, made the most of the moment, by wrapping his arms around the blonde woman, keeping her pressed tightly to him. She had her arms resting on his shoulders, with one twisted into the hair on the nape of his neck.
“It’ll be fine, love,” Loki murmured, gazing down into her blue eyes.
“I know I’m being selfish, but I don’t want you to go; I want you to stay here, with me.”
“And where would we go? We’re both wanted criminals for trying to take over and/or destroy a world. The only difference is that I’m wanted for that in three realms, for you it’s just one.”
“You could take me to the stars,” Carrie smiled.
Loki laughed at the little joke, something which made his brother smile; Thor hadn’t seen Loki laugh, or even smile, in years. That was something that pained Thor; Carrie was the reason his brother was happier than he had ever been, and almost as soon as the two had realised, they were being ripped apart from one another.
Carrie smiled died down and she looked away, hating the tears that sprung to her eyes; she was stronger than this.
Loki noticed and pulled her closer, her head resting on his chest with one hand stroking her hair. He lowered his head slightly and pressed a kiss to her hair; she was quite tall, and with the heel she wore (no one, not even Natasha, who was as good a fighter as Carrie, knew quite how she was able to fight and fly with such skill in three-inch wedge heeled boots) she was nearly as tall as he was.
Upon seeing the tears briefly in Carrie’s eyes before she closed them, The Avengers decided to all look away (even Tony), since they had worked with her for years, before she met Loki, and they all knew that she rarely showed emotion, and none of them had seen her cry before.
Carrie saw the pity on The Avengers’ faces and hated it; she did not need their pity.
Blinking back the welling tears, she lifted her head and pressed a firm kiss to Loki’s lips. He cupped the side of her face, brushing his thumb along her cheekbone, opening both their lips and slipping his tongue between them, eliciting a delicious groan from the young woman.
As they parted, they heard the obnoxious voice of Tony break through.
“All right, wrap it up lovebirds!”
The two parted and gave Tony a sour expression, as Thor walked forwards, holding two things in his hands – a set of Asgardian manacles and a jaw lock, his expression was one of deep regret and remorse. He reached towards Loki, moving to put the locks on, but Carrie blocked his way.
“I’ll do it,” she informed him, in a less than friendly manner, taking the locks off him and turning back to her love.
Loki helped her attach the manacles around his wrists, keeping quiet and watching her carefully.
Carrie lifted up the jaw lock to his jaw, but at the last moment, moved it away and pulled him down for one last kiss. Loki grasped her waist and returned the kiss with equal fervour, extending it as long as he could.
“I love you,” she murmured against his lips.
“And I you, so very much,” he whispered in response. “I’ll come back as soon as I can.”
When the time finally came for them to part, they did it with slowness and great sadness.
Slowly and gently, Carrie pressed the jaw lock to his jaw, and watched as the Asgardian magic caused it to clasp shut around the back of his head, keeping his mouth shut.
“Brother, we must leave,” Thor’s voice broke them apart.
Carrie nodded slowly, stroking her love’s hair one last time, before kissing his forehead and walking back.
Thor held out the cage with the tesseract inside, and Loki took the other handle. And in a column of blue light, the two vanished, back home to Asgard.
As soon as the two had vanished, The Avengers began to leave, but stayed to make sure Carrie was escorted into the armoured truck without any problems.
Once seated inside, a smile flitted across her lips, despite the handcuffs; she knew he would be back – he would be back for her, and her only, and it was only a matter of time before he did.